- advertisement -

Dex adhesive reactions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know their was a thread about this a while ago, but I'm doing this from mobile so it's hard to search.

I have an adult friend who is getting a CGM and is concerned as she has had a history of reactions to adhesives. Any suggestions on a product to help avoid this?

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

My son has adhesive allergies, but we have not had problems (touch wood!) with the Dex adhesive. We use Hypafix tape on top of the Dex adhesive to keep it on through showers & such. The Hypafix holds well and does not irritate his skin either.

I know a lot of people restart their sensors and get 2-3 weeks out of them, but we can't go more than about 10 days before he starts getting itchy. We usually just change it out at a week to avoid the skin issues.

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

4. don04

don04 Approved members

My skin is sensitive also ...

With my MM pump, i need to wipeSkin Prep & IV 3000 tape then shoot through it. My Dex has been fine with nothing under the adhesive, it does not react for me.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

6. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have been having horrible reactions! We did fine for a while but now all of a sudden they are cropping up - a horrible red rash that weeps, the sensor would only stay on for 1-2 days tops. I tried the barrier wipes - didn't do much, the tape underneath - that didn't do much either - it actually fell off after 20 minutes.

I have now gotten the benadryl spray and am going to try that underneath. We are currently using the Johnson and Johnson Tough pad and seem to be doing well so far (we're on day 2) with only a little redness where I use the opsite flexifix to hold it down. At this point I'm trying to determine if he has an allergy to the tape as well so I have bought some Flexifix and am going to switch it out when it becomes necessary.

I did talk to a pharmacist about the reaction, and also read on another board here that it could be the body's autoimmune response creating the rash so they recommended taking a daily allergy pill (Zyrtec) and said that that completely got rid of the problem for the omnipod rash and the dexcom rash. I really hope that something works!!!

At this time I am willing to try anything, my son really really needs the dexcom it has caught his lows so many times when they were unexpected. He is so completely hypo and hyper unaware that I don't know what I will do if I can't get something to work.

7. Dave

Dave Approved members

Shopgirl - we are having similar situation - sounds like you are a week or two ahead of us. Going to try out the benadryl and the tough pads also. Zyrtec - nice idea. Let us know how you are doing.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Toughpads are hydrocolloid dressings, which typically cause no allergy, just FYI.

9. Shopgirl2091

We'll definitely let you know. It's nice to know we're not alone - but I hate to think that anyone else has gone through the same frustration. Here's to hoping something works for both of us :)

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

A suggestion I saw on another board is to spray the skin with Nasonex or a ventolin inhaler before insertion.

11. Shopgirl2091

I've also heard to spray it with an asthma inhaler like flovent or albuterol - this would work for the short term but for the long term it is supposed to cause skin discoloration

12. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I just started using flovent under mine in a last ditch effort to keep using the dex. So far it is working really well. I am actually about to restart this sensor. I also got my prescription changed so I get 2 boxes of sensors a month so I can change them every 3-5 days if needed.

I am not sure why albuterol would work since it is not a steroid. I would be interested to hear from people using albuterol since I would imagine that it would be less likely than flovent to cause skin discoloration.

13. Shopgirl2091

I may be wrong about the albuterol - I probably just read asthma inhaler and thought albuterol because that is one of the ones my son uses (the non-diabetic one)

Does the flovent seem to be working well? Do you just put it on before you put down the adhesive for the sensor?

I'm really hoping the tough pads work for us, I guess we'll see.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

It worked really well for the 7 days of this sensor. I actually decided not to restart it since I wanted to see how it looked underneath. It is red and a bit itchy but no where near as bad as without the flovent. I just sprayed it on my skin and then put the adhesive on top and inserted through it. The sensor was 100% accurate from day one so I don't think the flovent caused any issue.