- advertisement -

Dex Adhesive Reaction

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

My son has been wearing the dexcom for nearly a year now. He has recently developed a horrible skin reaction to the adhesive.
    I've been looking into ways to "get around" the adhesive touching his skin.

Has anyone else's child, seemingly overnight, developed this irritation?
    What have you tried and what was the outcome?

We MUST keep using the Dexcom! It's an absolutely amazing tool!

Please, any experiences and ideas much appreciated.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I developed a pretty severe reaction basically overnight. I use the dexcom without any issues now by cleaning the skin with an alcohol prep, spraying flovent (prescription steroid inhaler) on the skin, placing a tough pad on my skin, placing the dex sensor (with the tape slightly trimmed so it does not go over the edges of the tough pad) on the tough pad, inserting through the tough pad, and then taping over everything but the transmitter with opsite tape.

3. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

Thanks megnyc. I saw some info on the tough pads. We have some ordered but they haven't arrived yet. Have you had good success with the tough pads? Does it stay for 7+ days? Do you insert straight through the tough pad without cutting a hole first?

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I haven't been able to prevent the reaction with just a tough pad. I really need the steroid inhaler AND the tough pad. Just one or the other doesn't work for me. I get 10-21+ days out of a sensor but I do change them at the first sign of itching so occasionally I will change a sensor at 6 days. I insert straight through the tough pad without cutting a hole. I get incredible accuracy out of the dexcom and inserting through the steroid and tough pad has not impacted that at all.

5. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

Thanks again megnyc for sharing your experience.:)

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My son has been wearing the dex for a few weeks now and has had no reaction except one time. On that day we visited relatives and walked through the grass. My daughter got a rash on her foot and he got a rash where his dex was. Since then no more rashes. It would seem that exposure to things that can cause a rash may make it more likely to get a rash under the dex.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter will have worn the Dexcom for almost two years in a couple of months. At our last endo visit, the dr. mentioned her skin being red & rough where she wears her sensors. Then a couple sensors ago, my daughter said it really itched. She asked to have a layer of hypafix put under the sensor adhesive. She said her skin was much better when that sensor died, so we did it again. I'm hoping we don't have to go through all the hassles some people do and that it was mostly related to summer heat & humidity.

8. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

My son had the same issue. He wore the 7+ for several months, then all of a sudden developed a rash to the adhesive and the metal sensor itself. We had to take him off of it. Then We tried the enlite sensors, same reaction. I have called dex about the g4, and they told me nothing has changed with the adhesive. In my opinion, I don't see dex making a change anytime soon. Do a search on dex and allergies. Several other have tried MANY different products to avoid this.

9. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

My daughter also got red, itchiness, and mild rash from her Dexcom sensor just recently. I plan to call Dexcom and see if they did anything different with their new sensor adhesives. If this is not going away, I think I want to give this Hypafix a try. So, you put the hypafix on the skin, then put the sensor on top of the hypafix, so the dex sensor is not touching the skin, right? Do you cut a hole in the middle of the hypafix for the needle insertion?

Did you get the 2" wide tape or the 4" wide?

Thanks.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

See above.

11. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Thank you so much!

You put the sensor on the hypafix first, then attach it to the skin. That's brilliant thinking.

I am going to order the 4" Hypafix.