- advertisement -

depression in 6yo type 1?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bravetype1dad, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Bravetype1dad

Bravetype1dad Approved members

So my 6yo son has been diagnosed for two years. He NEVER complains about dealing with it, but lately just seems unhappy or downright miserable at times. Whenever he is having one of his episodes his bg is usually good. I can only guess how lows and highs can feel, but no matter what we do I swear he it's just so angry at times. Wondering if his can be a side effect.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Well, a psychological side effect maybe. Unless you see that this happens particularly when he is high or low. Had anything changed lately? Can you get out of him why he is upset? Is it something to do with other kids' views or being different?

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

How long has this been going on? I think everyone regardless of she has unhappy spells.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi, it could be a number of things, besides D. Did he change schools, start a new routine, is he sleeping enough (or well enough), did someone at school say something to make him upset...etc,etc.

If he doesn't open up easily and he's been like this for a while, see if you can get outside help or tips on how to get him to confide in you.

Another idea is a gratitude and a complaint jar. You get him to write stuff he's happy about and put it in the gratitude jar and stuff he's not happy about in the complaint jar. Though, as my oldest says, the complaint jar may get filled up quite fast.:rolleyes:

Good luck.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If his bg is in range when he is having an angry spell I would think it was not related. It is probably related to him just adjusting to having a life-long chronic illness. Don't you ever get angry that your child has to deal with this the rest of their life? You probably do so it should be expected that he would too. You said he "NEVER" complains about it so he is most likely keeping his feelings inside.

Seek psychological counseling for him from a medical professional.

Good luck.

6. Bravetype1dad

Bravetype1dad Approved members

Nothing has really changed, he does well in school and his diabetes really is never an issue with him. Whenever we talk to him about his feelings he relates none of this to diabetes. I just don't see a direct relation, but wonder if it is something that maybe is an underlying issue.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

A therapist would help you figure that out.