- advertisement -

Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Carolina's dad bought her a brand new lime green Dell Laptop in October because she wants me to homeschool her. Now it's fried. Something happened to the hard drive. This computer has been a buch of c**p from the beginning. The keyboard skips half of the letters you type, she get frustrated trying to do school work, Webkinz only pulls up on part of the screen, the sound goes in and out, the web cam pulls images in and out and I don't know what else. I just feel so bad for her and am very thankful he bought the computer for her.

Tonight she told me that she has been saving money for a long time to go to Disney and she could use the money to buy herself one of the mini laptops. I hardly know anything about computers. I wonder if the hard drive can be fixed. Anyone had similar problems with the Dell Laptop's?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Does the Dell have a warrenty? We bought our last computer from Dell, I'll never ever do business with them again.. I'd call dell and complain.

3. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Funny that you mention that because that's precisely the way I feel about my Hewlett Packard. It ran like crud from day 1 and even crashed within the first 3 weeks mainly due to the absolute garbage factory installed operating system windows xp media. I ended up having to get a clean copy of XP from a local computer store to get it to work properly and am now using 64 bit Window 7 and dual booting with Ubuntu Linux.

As far as the laptop is concerned, the HD may be toast but I have a hunch the root of your problems is in the main board of the comp itself because that's the part of the comp that holds all the hardware for keyboard, sound and display functions so if it's toast then chances are it will just fry a brand new HD as well. If it was purchased last October than I would expect it's still under warranty so my advice to you is contact Dell first before you yourself go throwing any of your own money at it.

4. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Dell said, I had 14 or 30 days (called in Nov. can't remember) to return the computer if I was unhappy. The computer sat for a while until Carolina's dad took it to get, "things done to it" (he said, have the c**p removed from the factory, put software on it and install Norton). Who knows when she actually was able to start using the crazy thing. That was somewhere around the 1st part of Oct. and her blood sugars went high the 2nd week in Oct. I'm sure others can relate to how things were at that time. Here were are now. It just seems like everyday she was having some kind of problem with the computer. Like I said before, I'm sad for her and she will have to have a computer to do school work online.

5. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I have a Dell too..and hate it. It has been nothing but trouble. Have had it for two years and gone through three hard drives.

Mine was sent back to Dell each time to have the hard drive replaced....but it sounds like yours has other issues.

Do you know any IT type people that could look at it for you and give you an opinion on what to do?

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Same thing happened to me...Dell Laptop Inspiron brand new and I too had to send it back to Dell for a new harddrive and motherboard when it was only 3 mos old!!!! I was mad!!
    They did fix it and I have had no probs since but still....Hopefully yours is still under warranty...

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

IMO, sounds like it's Dads problem since he messed around with it. I would check because the 14-30 days is a return policy, but not a warranty. I would get all paperwork from dad, make sure he registered it and then call Dell.

8. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

It is possible that the main board and HD are just fine and the factory installed operating system (XP, Vista...) is the cause. Not that there is anything wrong with XP or Vista except for the fact that when Dell or HP and so on ships them, they are at least in my case are not only chock full of worthless programs that you'll probably never use but loaded with spyware and adware as well even after you've removed those junk programs and you can end up with a very unstable operating system which could explain the keyboard, sound and webcam issues you're having. When mine crashed with it's preinstalled operating system, it literally died. When rebooting it was as if I had my monitor turned off because absolutely nothing appeared on the screen after the initial boot sequence.

If possible I would suggest installing a fresh/clean copy of either Windows XP or Windows 7 (I'm not a fan of Vista) before deciding to purchase a new HD. I'm also sending you a PM.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I would never buy a Dell laptop again. I have had nothing but problems. I had one and it was constantly broken- motherboard, hard drive, dvd drive, wifi card, power supply. Constant issues.

I just got a Dell Mini and that one is nothing but problems too. It came to me broken (microphone and speakers broken) and when it came back to me from being repaired it had a new problem (mouse broken).

My sister's Dell laptop literally fell apart out of the blue one day.

Never again.

Nothing but Macs for me now.

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

We bought my daughter a Dell laptop about 3.5 years ago, to take to college. We also bought a 4 year warranty. She uses it HARD and had no problems with it until about 1.5 years ago whenthe power supply failed. We sent it back to Dell, at their cost (thank you warranty), she left on a soccer trip, and when she returned three days later the computer was back and fixed. She's having some problems now but nothing major for a computer of its age. We will likely get her another Dell when she starts grad school this spring.

A laptop is the one place I think an extended warranty is worth every dime.

For the record, I have always found Dell to be very responsive. We have a Dell desktop and a Dell plasma TV as well.

11. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

We have a Dell laptop too. 1 1/2 years old and the battery went. The new battery cost a fortune and my husband refuses to buy a new battery because "I refuse to give that company another penny":rolleyes:

We now have it plugged in all the time with duct tape holding the cord into the computer. The good thing is the kids have to stay in one place with it and we know what sites their visiting.

12. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

My laptop is a Dell and, so far, I love it. Last summer my Sony gave out on me after only 1 1/2 yrs. and numerous problems. I wanted something different and many people advised me against Dell, but my bil helped me build one just the way I wanted it and at this point I have had no troubles with it. I am running Windows Vista, not the 7.0.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My son's Dell laptop keyboard went out. We did not pay for an extended warranty but because it was in the first year they sent us a new keyboard for free. It was easy to pop off the old keyboard. I would think you ar estill under warranty.