- advertisement -

Dehydration, any advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Sep 26, 2012.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In football today they had a MAJOR workout, he did fine during/after but he came home and lay down a while, didn't push fluids even though he was sweating like a pig during practice. Woke up, ate, then promptly threw up.

He was dizzy and lightheaded, and just plain tired. Initially was 270, then eventually dipped down to the 70's with no added insulin, just what was given as a correction and food before he threw up. Ate some PB and took some insulin as he had small ketones.

I truly think dehydration, not illness is at work here, as he realized with some prodding that he hadn't peed ALL DAY LONG. Been pushing fluids.

What should I worry about overnight? I have some full sugar popsicles on hand in case I need some quick sugar and he isn't up to eating, have some gatoraide too. Lots and lots of water. Planning on checking before I go to bed and then every few hours.

Anything else to worry about with dehydration and small ketones? Should he skip practice in the morning? Any experience out there, he really doesn't throw up, ever, and he handles football workouts normally without issue, today was just a whopper (by his request actually~~and he LOVED it!).

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

I don't have any experience to offer, but since no one else has replied, I will share my thoughts. First, is he peeing now? If not, I think he should be seen right away. If he is, I would watch to see if his eyes look dark and sunken, and if they do, and/or his skin is unusually dry, I wouldn't let him practice/play. Has it been really hot where you are? I'm just curious, I noticed you are homeschooling and I don't know much about it, where is he playing football? I def would want him to be taking it on the easy side for a couple of days and to continue to push fluids.

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Keep pushing those fluids. Popsicles are good, soda too (either diet or regular, depending on the bgl).

I would skip practice today to make sure he's rehydrated properly. No point in repeating this cycle.

Dehydration and D are a nasty combination. Once he gets ketones, they won't clear until he is fully rehydrated.

I hope he's feeling better this morning.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Nancy!!!! Do they have "trainers" at practice? Maybe he can (or you) can mention that he needs to be hydrated better during practices and wondering if they can do Hugh a favor and make sure he gets more water, etc., during those quick waterbreaks... or maybe they can even run a water bottle over to him during practices??? Ugh! I know when my son was playing the trainers did whatever they had to do to make sure he was well... they would pull him out to test, etc...

Take care,
    Kathy

PS - so sorry I havent replied to your email... i have it DRAFT!! :eek:

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

How is he doing today?

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Thanks for the help and input, he's doing OK, not normal but no new problems. He did go to practice yesterday (and is about to go today) but where he normally goes on his own, I went with him these days. He did dip down once during practice (which is rare) and needed some glucose but it wasn't a true low, just being cautious.

He took it easier during, and luckily it was an easier practice anyway.

Kathy we have trainers at games but not during practices. During games the water person is actually his sister, which is really nice because I can text her to take him the gatoraide when I can tell he's low...or the water when he's not, etc. When he wears his dexcom she keeps the receiver and we catch stray signals, it's convenient. But none of that happens during practice, only games.

So, he's doing better now, I think the throwing up was from dehydration so that was a HUGE lesson learned for him not to just lay down after a hard practice but to push fluids instead. It was scary for me as I wasn't home when he threw up, he was home alone and (knock wood) other than at camp one year he really hasn't had a stomach bug so I wasn't sure what was going on. The ketones, the throwing up, I wasn't sure where it was headed.

Things seem to be level, he was 88 at bedtime and 140 at 2a, heading to practice now at 125. This was after a set pulled out yesterday afternoon and he went to 400, so he's been on a roller coaster the past few days.

and p.s. to Kathy: whatever, you slacker! :D