- advertisement -

Deflated by Endo Visit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PatriciaMidwest, Mar 26, 2010.

1. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I totally agree with you and thank you. I worked in hospital sales for many years and interacted daily with many physicians. Mr. Bedside Manner is a researcher at heart (not a bad thing at all, but develop your social skills if you want a patient base). He spent a long time trying to recruit us for his latest research project.

I looked up his credentials and he is not actually double board certified, just plays an endo at the diabetes clinic (ha ha). He is peds certified.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. PatriciaMidwest

Thank you for the kind words you have all left. It really does mean a lot. DH is travelling and he hasn't gotten an earful yet. I knew you all would understand my venting.

I totally agree with all of you who say we need to change endos. This is actually our second one, from same clinic. Unfortunately, the choices here are limited and the hospital (owns clinic) is very controlling with who you get to schedule. Notice from earlier post how I can't even schedule my 3 month follow up with Dr. Bedside Manner (sorry, couldn't resist) which was requested by him -- instead I have to leave my name and number and someone will get back to me down the road. Everything is backwards.

I'm open to seeing another dr. in a nearby city. I feel like our endo clinic has issues from the top down and philosophies I just don't agree with (did I mention I'm supposed to do my A1C at home and mail them the box 2 weeks before my appt?) If anyone has a ped they love in Omaha or St. Louis let me know. This wouldn't be too bad of a commute.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I agree. Is there another endo within driving distance??

4. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Omaha-Childrens Hosptial & Medical Center http://www.childrensomaha.org

St. Louis-Cardinal Glennon they are affiliated with St. Louis U. http://www.cardinalglennon.com/Pages/default.aspx

St. Louis Childrens they are affiliated with Barnes/Wash U. http://www.stlouischildrens.org/content/

Childrens Mercy in K.C. area http://www.cmh.edu/

I live in iowa..1/2 way between Council Bluffs-Des Moines. I have been driving back n fourth for almost 3 years to St. Louis. My daughter started out at Cardinal Glennon when she was first diagnosed with diabetes, and she aged out of the diabetes clinics. I continue to drive to St. Louis to Cardinal Gennon cause she has other specialized drs there, who she will continue to see her no matter how old she gets. Her endo at Cardinal Glennon was Dr. Dempsher. My daughter likes him, along with Dr. Meyers. The entire endo clinic is pro pump and pro cgms, if your seeking out for a pump or cgms in the future.

As far as St. Louis Childrens- My younger daughter has been there, not for diabetes, but for other medical issues. We had no issues there with the drs. I dont know how their endo team is, maybe someone else will chime in for that.

I'm not sure where in the K.C. area you live..but there is also:

Blank Children's Hospital, in Des Moines http://www.blankchildrens.org/

5. PatriciaMidwest

6. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Every 3-4 months when chell would go in..they would ask her if she is ready for a pump..we said no..again..next 3-4 months they would ask again, if she was ready for a pump, we said no.

When we asked about the cgms..the dr said, insurance is not pay for them..I told him to write the script, and be prepared to write a letter of medical necessity. Which he did..and we got the cgms covered..this was under medicaid of Illinois. Illinois Medicaid has been paying on her cgms stuff since Nov. 2007

It wasnt until 2 years ago..that we decided upon a pump. Chell has been with this endo clinic from May 2004 - Feb 2010

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

8. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

We're always swinging numbers....There is no consistency with puberty! Last A1c 8.4 despite everything we try.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Speaking as the dad of a 12 soon to be 13 dd and a son 16 who was T1 in the same age group not so long ago I would strongly suggest you harness the most powerful force in a young teens life to help promote a positive diabetes attitude. That is the peer group. Get down to Orlando in July for FFL.

The place is simply packed with kids of all ages who get it. The positive influence of not being the only one is huge. (this said by a guy where 50% of the kids in the family are T1 so there is a support system in house)

Much as much of you OP is about your DD's need to work with you as the moron doc. Build on her recent achievement. FFL will help both you and her do that.

10. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

It is awful to have an endo that is not supportive. We are on our 4th and I'm not real thrilled with her either. 2 of the 4 were excellent and both moved; one to CA the other to VA. I question myself at times as to whether I expect too much but then I realize we see this same person every 3 months, that endo should really KNOW my child and care about his feelings as well as his diabetes. He LISTENS to her, why doesn't she LISTEN to him. Our appointments are very clinical and technical. Our choices in a new Endo are limited although I'm thinking seriously about traveling to VA. It's VA Beach, not too bad to have mini vacations every 3 months.

OOPs, sorry, rambling. Good luck with getting a new endo, there is one out there!

11. PatriciaMidwest

That is really good to know, Bennet, Thank you. I have heard of FFL but wondered if it was geared towards younger kids. You certainly know how those teens don't want to be at an event meant for smaller kids (I mean God forbid, LOL!) My DD will be 13 shortly, going on 15 or 16.

I am going to try to make this happen. It is so important to let our kids know we are supporting them.

Love your sense of humor by the way.

12. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

FFL breaks the kids into age based groups. They are strict about the age breaks too. My now 12 will be 13 this summer and her older brother is somewhat freaked out that she will be a teen in the teen group with him.

I figure she will mostly be hanging out with her friends form other years and that the social cast system of teens will naturally keep them within sub strata of the larger group. If not he is SOL.

FFL has been and continues to be very important to successful T1 management in our case.

You may need to seek professional help for this:

13. PatriciaMidwest

FFL sounds awesome.

ROFL. Yes, I might, but better for that than for a nervous breakdown.