- advertisement -

Defectors from MM to G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 31, 2013.

?

MM vs. G4

1. Happy MM cgm'er, no intention of switching

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. MM cgm'er, in the process of switching

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. MM cgm'er wishing you could switch

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. not yet CGM'ing, considering G4 over MM

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Neither the MM nor the Dex will transmit through water. That's why Darryl's daughter swims with the receiver on her. Apparently it will still read if it's that's close.

Our experience is that the MM receiver is waterproof, although it is not marketed that way. We've sent ours through the washer, dunked it in the bath, and left it by the side of the pool unprotected.

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

If she's wearing it, it still has to send the signal through the water, right?

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The G4 does NOT read through the water in the pool; we've tried it twice & the only reading for the 2 hours last time was when I had her come out of the pool to check BG & bolus her basal. It got 1 reading.

The sensor/transmitter are good to go in the water; you don't have to remove them. I would recommend taping it well beforehand, though. We had the first one pull out before the two hours was over. I would hate to lose the transmitter and not be able to find it.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I meant that it won't transmit through water unless it's apparently in the water essentially next to the sensor. If Jack is sitting in the tub in a few inches of water (with the transmitter on his bottom, submerged), it will not receive a signal with the receiver on the edge of the tub. We've never put it on him while swimming because he's in and out of the pool enough that we get continuous readings with it on the side of the pool. When you're 8, swimming is less swimming and more cannonballing into the pool, swimming to the side, getting out, and doing it again. ;)

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

gotcha.

mts.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I tried to convince my daughter to let me put the last sensor on her arm, thinking we'd be likely to get a lot more readings from an arm sensor than one on her butt while at the pool, but she's 13 and didn't want the questions about the thing on her arm from other kids. So, we test in blood every 20-30 minutes instead. It works well for us.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The Minimed Guardian does fine in the pool or the beach - just make sure that it is secured properly (we lost one in the ocean once - now she wears it in a spibelt when in the ocean), and the battery cover is all the way in (not over tightened, just all the way in). MM does not guarantee that it is waterproof, but practically speaking it's waterproof unless the case is cracked.

The Guardian does not actually transmit through water (no electrical signal will transmit through water) but the reality of swimming is that you are the surface when doing most types of swim strokes. Typically this is enough for signal to reach the receiver, and even when a reading is missed, the MM fills it in at the next reading. So when she glances at the CGM, she knows her BG all day long at the pool or the beach, rarely needing to step out of the water for a reading.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Thanks for clarifying.
    No way it would go in the water with her, we swim in the Atlantic off Cape Cod:eek: But, at least I can go to the waters edge or pool side with the transmitter, have her stand up to get a reading.