- advertisement -

Defectors from MM to G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 31, 2013.

?

MM vs. G4

1. Happy MM cgm'er, no intention of switching

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. MM cgm'er, in the process of switching

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. MM cgm'er wishing you could switch

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. not yet CGM'ing, considering G4 over MM

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We would really miss the ability to set different high/low settings for different times of the day. Not sure how we would handle that.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yeah, that too. Although at least you can adjust the settings in the morning and night without much difficulty. I still don't know what to do about the 120 high alarm at night though... I wonder if you can root the thing like a cell phone then reprogram it? Probably not.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

never used MM CGM but from what I have read I think it would be very hard to leave the 40 minunte memory or the ablility to scroll back and see info.

I think the dexcom can easily lose the ability to track "events" since you can not see them marked on the graph. and incorp the scroll back option.

I do not "download" and use the CGM for real time numbers, and wonder if they have considered this to enhance features?

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Sounds like a small detail, being able to scroll back, but it means the world in practical terms: With the MM, Leah could glance at her CGM inbetween classes at school. If the last two readings were 96-100, she could take a little insulin; if the last two readings were 100-100 she could do nothing, if they were 104-100, she could eat a few carbs. If the last two readings were 106-100, she could eat a few more carbs. These are the small adjustments that keep BG in range throughout the day. With the G4, this is not possible. All you see is "100" and a bunch of dots that are impossible to discern on a scale of 50-400. The arrows are useless as well (as with the minimed arrows) because they show only a 20-minute trend, and BG can change direction in less than 20 minutes. Such a simple change, allowing you to scroll through recent readings, would make the Dexcom so much more useful.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

In the process . .

Just filled out paperwork this week to get Dex4. One of my main reasons for choosing MM over Ping when my son was 3 was the capability of the built in CGM. We used less than a box of sensors due mostly to the pain, even with numbing creme.

After experience 40's and 600's with two recent site failures, we are excited to try the Dex4. So many people seem to be happy.

For the record - I considered waiting for the enlite sensor, but so many people here seem convinced that the DEx system is better.

We'll keep you posted.

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

I agree MM has better, more flexible features, but the G4 just works so much better for us that it doesn't even matter.

We've gone from barely 2 days on MM sensors to day 18 on our current sensor (and still accurate).

I don't care about the 40-minute memory because the range on the G4 is so good that we don't really drop readings. But the more flexible alarm settings and the ability to scroll through old data points would be nice. I would also like having the daily stats on the receiver so I didn't have to download. The MM receiver is also basically indestructible.

But really, I'm just grateful we have a system that works for us.

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

We haven't switched, although I would love louder alarms and longer range.
    The g4 looks excellent, but. . .

My d doesn't mind the MM sensor inserts, wears the cgm 24/7 and likes the integrated aspect. (She has said she doesn't want a separate device to carry around.) I'm an expert taper now, so not even that bothers me.

The biggest reason we remain with MM is the possibility of the pump that will suspend its basal insulin delivery in response to low cgm reading. That is the carrot dangling just in front of me that keeps me with MM. It is the only thing, really.

And btw, I resent like heck having to purchase a separte device to hear the cgm.

8. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

This is where we are, too. Waiting for the VEO and enlite. Abbey is off to college in 2 years and I want her to have the suspend feature so I can get through college.

9. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I will "third" that one.....mine is off for college in 18 months!!!! He is going on a couple of trips with school in the next couple of months and I don't know how I am going to sleep without worrying too much! He does a good job taking care of his D, but having the suspend feature would be the MOST helpful advancement for my piece of mind, and I think for him too. Even if he wouldn't admit it, I think he would sleep better knowing he is covered in case he goes low. So, we are waiting......:eek:

10. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

I am waiting for the Enlite sensor to come out because the integration and also as Darryl said, not being able to scroll through the numbers would be really hard ... at the end of the day, we scroll through the numbers instead of downloading info. to review.

Although, I must admit based on the good reviews, it is tempting to try the Dexcom.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

I just want to comment on some of these. I don't want it to appear that these are not really an issue, I'm sure that they are an issue for you guys, but I'm not sure they'd be an issue for the normal user. You all really are CGM experts but you're also using your CGM in a way that few of us would be comfortable doing with our own child. So I do value your input (and I did ask for it), I just don't want some of these things to trouble other users as for the vast majority they're less of an issue that it would appear. I will follow with my own list of 'wants' and 'dislikes' though.

No way to view the data without turning on the receiver
    Not sure I get this. We have to turn the MM 'on' (wake from sleep) before we can view the sensor data, and then, it's turn on and hit one more button. With the g4 it is simply one button.

No "silent" mode
    there is vibrate only mode . Complete silence defeats the purpose - who wants to be constantly viewing the screen?

No option to beep softly and discreetly before vibrating
    How much more discreet can vibrate be? I like that even when in 'alarm' mode you get the option of responding to the vibrate prior to the beep.

No way to VIEW THE BG other than the current reading
    agree - though not really finding it as horrible as I thought.

No ISIG
    w never used prior on MM, don't miss it.

No integrated belt clip for the receiver
    Not sure what you mean - there is a case - do you mean the plastic clip that MM has that everyone says breaks all the the time?

Not waterproof
    MM isn't waterproof either - I know your daughter swims with her guardian but that isn't typical use. With the g4 range, it means that it's not even necessary.

No catch-up of lost data when reconnecting
    Agree. but we lose signal so less often now. Not as much of a problem as I thought it would be.

And the biggest one: High alarm limited to 120 Minimum?
    Ok, well I think you might be one of the few who have a high limit set to 120, I don't think this is an issue for most people.

For us, the primary issues that we dislike:
    • when entering carb/insulin amounts they don't show on the visible graph and there is no way to view history of what has been entered.
    • no scroll back
    • no way to set different time of day ranges - not a huge issue as lows during the night aren't our primary reason for using it, but highs are. I know that setting the low to 90 is fine as w're never going to see 90 at night. Highs are though, and I'd like to set different high levels so that I can better fix our night time issues.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

No way to view the data without turning on the receiver
    Not sure I get this. We have to turn the MM 'on' (wake from sleep) before we can view the sensor data, and then, it's turn on and hit one more button. With the g4 it is simply one button.

Just set Graph Timeout to "NONE" on the Minimed, and the BG displays all the time, like a wristwatch.

No "silent" mode
    there is vibrate only mode . Complete silence defeats the purpose - who wants to be constantly viewing the screen?

A kid in high school who is very motivated to know and control her BG frequently, but who prefers to not have alarms going off during class. Think of it like this - do you want your wristwatch or cellphone to alarm every time you have an appointment, or do you sometimes prefer to glance at your wristwatch and figure out for yourself?

No option to beep softly and discreetly before vibrating
    How much more discreet can vibrate be? I like that even when in 'alarm' mode you get the option of responding to the vibrate prior to the beep.

Since there is no integrated belt clip and the enclose case has the d?cor of a 1960's pocket protector, it is not all that feasible for a high school kid to wear it, and if not wearing it, you don't feel it vibrate. The very quiet initial beep of the Minimed is perfect when an alarm is desireable.

No way to VIEW THE BG other than the current reading
    agree - though not really finding it as horrible as I thought.

Not horrible, but takes away the option of knowing which way the BG is headed at the moment. Just today, we had a 116 going up with a down arrow, etc. If you never had it, you might not miss it, but this feature was a big part of maintaining A1C's in the 5% range with relative ease.

No ISIG
    w never used prior on MM, don't miss it.

No integrated belt clip for the receiver
    Not sure what you mean - there is a case - do you mean the plastic clip that MM has that everyone says breaks all the the time?

Ours broke once, three years ago in pretty severe circumstances. It is very compact and reliable, and the replacement clips right on if the old one breaks.

Not waterproof
    MM isn't waterproof either - I know your daughter swims with her guardian but that isn't typical use. With the g4 range, it means that it's not even necessary.

Yes, it is waterproof (at least the MM Guardian) and for the six years she swam with it, she got continuous BG readings.

No catch-up of lost data when reconnecting
    Agree. but we lose signal so less often now. Not as much of a problem as I thought it would be.

Except while swimming - I read here someone tried the G4 and it did not maintain signal when swimming. So she'd need to get out of the pool then wait 10 minutes to get a reading? Definitely won't want to do that in the summer.

And the biggest one: High alarm limited to 120 Minimum?
    Ok, well I think you might be one of the few who have a high limit set to 120, I don't think this is an issue for most people.

Again, all part of getting A1C in the 5% range for 6 years without hypo problems.

So far, I am not sold overall with the G4 because even though the sensor is less invasive and seems to react faster, her ability to keep BG in the nondiabetic range, which was fairly easy with the Minimed, is difficult with the G4. We can't really see the data except for the current reading so small adjustments are guesswork, and overnight I have to wake up and check the reading manually due to the 120 minimum high alarm if I want her to be under 120 for the night.

One more thing I think I am noticing that I don't get about the G4: When a person is sleeping, do they expect the vibration to wake them? Or do they need to wait 5 minutes for the beep? And it seems like once it beeps, it beeps just a couple of seconds then not again for another 5 minutes. The MM is not as loud, but it beeps constantly until you wake up.

Just so surprising that these simple options would be omitted from the software. If they included these options, they could easily overtake Minimed in the CGM market.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

This actually just started bothering me. The mm starts to beep and keeps beeping and vibrating and going nuts untily you attend to it. The Dex will beep and then stop and then beep again later--not really enough to wak a person. I have to check to see if I can reset that somehow. And yes, you should be able to set it to go straigh to sound instead of vibrate first and wakt so long. An yes it should have a clip you could wear but I'm sure you can find an ipod or cell phone thing to hold it. And it would be great if waterproof but with a rechargable battery that's harder to do.

But what I really miss is scrolling back. A chart from 50 to 400 just is not practical and is a waste but it's the scrolling back that would make that ok. Without scrolling back I can't tell the difference between 125 and 175 two hours ago. Dex, if you are listening, you NEED a scroll back feature!!! With all the flaws listed, and I agree with them, this is the only thing I really miss on a regula basis.

14. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Love the G4 - Hunter wouldn't go back to MM

15. Diana

Diana Approved members

The vibrate wakes me easily -- I've never slept through it. The five minutes between alarms is good and bad for me --- good because it is less annoying, and bad because... well, it is less annoying so easier to ignore.

Darryl - have you toyed with the idea of calibrating the Dex with "inflated" numbers (so when Leah is 80 the Dex thinks she is really 100)? That way the 120 high alarm would really be a BG of 100. I would never be able to keep that straight, but it might be simple enough for Leah. (And then the 55 alarm would really be a 35 alarm and not come into play as often)

Of course, that doesn't fix the other issues you have.

16. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I haven't been on in forever, but a friend emailed me the link to this forum. Life with D has improved substantially since switching from MM to Dex G4. DD does not mind the seperate receiver as it fits in her meter case, and when she's in practice or tournaments, her coach hangs onto it. When it vibrates for a low or high, her coach can signal her and give skittles if necessary until she can sub out and treat. Now that dd is into competitive volleyball, it's been a Godsend. The accuracy cannot be beat, the ease of callibration / recallibration, the fact that it detects lows with far more accuracy etc. all mean we'd never, ever switch back to MM no matter how small the insertion or integration. G4 is good, really good - and when I can afford sensors (not every month), I sleep more and better. DD does her own insertion, something she couldn't manage with MM. To be fair, her allergic reaction to the MM sensor makes all that a moot point, but I'm giving our experience with MM before that became an issue. When Dex needs a callibration, it doesn't stop reading her until it gets one, retains the accuracy, and the Studio software is phenomenal - way, way better and more user friendly / easier to read than carelink. Her basals are far more on target with dex G4.

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Oh yes, I just didn't want to be the first to say so publicly ;). I would do it only for the overnight though.

18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I sometimes gave minimed false numbers and was totally comfortable doing that because of the ISIG; I could compute the real thing easily. I have not figured out how Dexcom's alorithm works but I'm willing to bet it's nothing as simple as multiplying an ISIG.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is good info to know.

Explain this to me. If you swim with a sensor on, is it lost and a new one needs to be put on? I'm curious as we live at the beach and 50% of our summer days are spent in the bay or at the pool.

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

no no. You'll be fine. I think Darryl's daughter actually swims WITH the guardian receiver unit.

The sensor themselves and their transmitters; both minimed or dexcom, are completely waterproof. The receiver for dexcom, much like most pumps, aren't waterproof. You'd treat it like you would a cell phone.

Oh and we never lose signal when he's in the shower, through water, tile, and two walls.