- advertisement -

Defectors from MM to G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 31, 2013.

?

MM vs. G4

1. Happy MM cgm'er, no intention of switching

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. MM cgm'er, in the process of switching

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. MM cgm'er wishing you could switch

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. not yet CGM'ing, considering G4 over MM

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just curious how many previous MM cgm'ers are switching, or have switched to the G4. Maybe a poll would be interesting? MM, are you paying attention?:rolleyes:

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I think you missed one category - MM cgmer, have happily switched to G4
    (or did I miss it up there?)

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We use nothing before going back to mm. Hoping to find funds for Dex.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

yikes! i did! Maybe I can fix it... so dumb!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, I don't see a way... maybe in a few weeks I'll try again and see if I can't be more thoughtful about the number of poll replies ;)

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I only trialed the MM CGMS....but have been Dexing since 2010. Now with G4.

My Endo, and CDE both use the Medtronic pump, but have the Dexcom. According to my Endo, very few in the adult clinic use the MM CGMS...in his eye, there is no comparison to Dex.

7. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

Another vote for previous MM user, loving the G4. There is no comparison for me. It is so much more comfortable and accurate.

8. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Third vote- switched and are very happy! Wish we'd done it sooner.

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Didn't vote. But I am a happy (basically) MM CGMer in the process of switching. Currently using both at the same time until I get to the point of trusting the G4 or my MM sensor dies.

I get wonderful accuracy out of the MM CGM but feel like it intrudes way too much in my life. The thing is endlessly beeping "Weak Signal" at me, wanting to be calibrated, randomly not giving data etc. I often want to tell it to "Meter BG NOW" yourself. When I get data it is near perfectly accurate but today I have only gotten 206 SG which is a lot less then it should have given me. So far I get the same accuracy with the G4 without so much stress.

The G4 is going to be a lot more expensive for my insurance company which I feel guilty about but I think I am making the best choice for me at this time.

Also, in terms of integration I do miss it. But hopefully the Vibe will be available here soon :cool:. Until then I will happily pump Medtronic and CGM G4.

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD has always been a happy Dexcom user here. But we have an adult Type 1 friend who recently threw in the towel with his MM CGM saying it was just too much work for too little benefit. He used MM's cgm for a number of years, but never felt very satisfied with it. After a few conversations with our family, he's just been convinced to put in paperwork for a new Gen4. We really hope he loves it as much as we do.

11. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We went the otherway and went to MM from Dexcom because the numbers have been much more accurate on the MN over the Dex

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

I am an adult and have used both systems. I found no difference. I hated having to carry a separate device from my MM pump. FWIW I also have used the Omnipod pump and for me I got too many kinks to use-I use the MM with a short steel set. The latest, not out, Dex 5 that uses a cell phone might sway me but I need to see the up coming MM Enlite system first. :) ali

13. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

Another vote for already switched from MM to Dex4 and very happy

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Switched and LOVING it. I mean LOVING it. The screen it beautiful. The chart and the colors and the cool ipod looking pink receiver. Love it. The range? INCREDIBLE. I thought it didn't work on my bedside but I think my cell was interfering with it b/c I tried again and it worked!!! Who needs mysentry when you have this fabulous range? We can keep the receiver in the d kit so she is not wearing two devices. Intergration then becomes moot. And it is spot on. I mean spot on. If it were a man I would marry it. :D

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

switched to G4 and won't look back. Amazing how different it is.

16. khannen

khannen Approved members

We are another vote for the category that isn't up there. We switched from MM to G4 and have no regrets at all. We love the G4 and can't imagine switching back. It is so much more accurate and the increased range is fantastic. My daughter no longer has to wear the receiver around her waist when we are at home. I keep it in my pocket or leave it on the counter.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I used a Guardian in 2008 and when I decided to go back to CGMing in 2010, went with Dexcom (probably would have tried Navigator had it still been on the US market, but it wasn't).

I would consider switching back to minimed after my G4 has had its year, if minimed has its new sensors out by then. I really didn't think the sof-sensors were tolerably comfortable.

18. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We switched almost three months ago. My daughter doesn't even seem interested in trialing Enlite when it is released. She loves the small prick of the insertion, the louder alarms, being able to hand me the CGM receiver, the "politeness" of the receiver (not bothering her with extra alerts like Meter BG Now), that the receiver is pretty & has a colored graph, that it doesn't quit reading her if the timing of the needed calibration isn't ideal or convenient, that it keeps up with exercise for things like sledding, that calibrations adjust immediately. I love the range and that it can be by my pillow at night. No straining to hear it while sleeping, no hearing crickets in duplicate through a baby monitor, no price tag for a volume control that dwarfed the price of the original CGM system. I also like that customer service seems helpful and apologetic, not in "blame the parent for problems" mode.

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

We JUST switched - I mean JUST! The G4 is maybe 3 to 10 points off from the meter; with MM, which she barely tolerated, was 60 to 70 off every time. She is LOVING it!

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We're on day 3 of the G4. Happy so far with the sensor itself, and the accuracy and response time compated with the MM.

Not happy with the user interface - the G4 receiver is so poorly designed in comparison with the Minimed...
    • No way to view the data without turning on the receiver :confused:
    • No "silent" mode
    • No option to beep softly and discreetly before vibrating :confused:
    • No way to VIEW THE BG other than the current reading :confused:
    • No ISIG :confused:
    • No integrated belt clip for the receiver :confused:
    • Not waterproof :confused:
    • No catch-up of lost data when reconnecting :confused:
    • And the biggest one: High alarm limited to 120 Minimum? :confused::confused:
    :confused: = What in the world were they thinking?

So we're a little torn between these. G4 has the better sensor, MM has the better receiver, including features like the instant view of BG data, discrete alarms, and high alarm of 100 that make it possible for our teenager to control her BG more effectively when in discrete situations like during school. At the very least, our switch to Dexcom will be partial because in the summer she has to swim with the CGM clipped on her. I hope that Dexcom fixes the problems with the receiver. If they do then we'd be sold completely.