- advertisement -

Dear BP CEO

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Becky Stevens mom, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Dear BP CEO:

I was watching the news this morning and they were showing a man walking out of a BP claims place. He had a shoe box with papers inside. He said that BP told him that he didnt have the right kind of paperwork, they needed tax returns for the past 3 years and other proof that he had a claim for missed wages. From the look of him he was a fisherman or maybe a shrimper, Im not sure which. He was probably one of the "small people" that you referred to Mr BP CEO. He reminded me of my Father. You would probably think my Dad a "small people". Dad had an 8th grade education, he then went to work on the family farm. At the time of my Fathers death he owned half a successful sawmill business out here in the boonies of eastern CT. To you he may have been small but to me he had something you and your kind will never have. He had integrity and honor, he respected people from all walks of life and didnt feel it was his job to judge them. If people worked hard for a living Dad respected them. If they provided for their familys and didnt lie or cheat or steal, they were good people in my Fathers book. You could learn alot from that man walking out of the claim center today and others like him, like my Father.

I havent sent this letter to BP. I wouldnt bother as I dont believe any of them would understand this or even give it any attention

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Great letter Becky..

I was reading the other day that BP has paid LESS THAN 12% of the claims they have come in.. and ALL of those they have given these people LESS than they deserve. BP is scum. These peoples lives were stolen from them, by no fault of their own, but by a greedy, slimy company that was looking for the cheapest, easiest way around things. I really, really, REALLY hope they have at least manned up and taken care of the families of them men that were killed.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. Flutterby

Glad he gets time off.. yet there are thousands of people in the gulf wondering how they are going to live... and he's off sailing his yacht, for fun.:rolleyes:

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

How much more clueless can these guys get? :eek:

6. Becky Stevens mom

c
    Hmmm I wonder why hes not sailing his yacht in the Gulf of Mexico :confused: and staying at one of the hotels down there, the hotels could use all the business they can get right now:(

7. Lance

Lance Approved members

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

You know ... I get that there are folks out there who really dislike the President. But this thread isn't about him. Why you needed to do that, I just don't know. Does it make you feel good? Like a really savvy news consumer? Cause guess what? That the President has been playing golf throughout this crisis is OLD news. Ok. Not new, not informative and not relevant to this thread.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. Becky Stevens mom

My Dad never played golf. He had severe, dibilitating rheumatoid arthritis. He never sailed in a yacht or any kind of boat that I know of. He struggled each morning to button the buttons on his uniform shirt. He was proud to wear it though as it had the name of his sawmill on it. He was a man of simple needs. His greatest joy was to be home with his children and grandchildren around, having a good supper of one of his favorite meals like New England boiled dinner:) and maybe watching a movie, John Wayne was his favorite. My Dad was also a racist :( That was very difficult for me to deal with as I was growing up but my Mom was the opposite and taught me to be color blind. Despite this I came to be proud of my Dad and because tomorrow is Fathers Day I am missing him, hes been gone 8 years now.

Seeing that man on the news this morning reminded me of my Dad. This man looked like a hard working fella. He probably got up at the crack of dawn to take his boat out and catch some fish or shrimp to provide for his family. These people dont want to go out sailing on a yacht they just want to get back to work and God only knows when that will happen:(

10. Flutterby

I actually could care less if the President is playing golf, sailing a yacht, or running through the streets naked.. HE didn't cause this mess, HE didn't use cheap materials, HE didn't find loop holes, HE didn't try and make more money off the mess, HE's not killing thousands of sea turtles, HE's not responsible, BP is!

11. Lance

Lance Approved members

Nobody said the President caused the problem. His administration however, has a lot to do with the cleanup - he took responsibility for solving the "crisis"
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37932.html
    ...and apparently, local residents aren't really seeing much "help" from the government - - a full three weeks after he made that statement.
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N19189717.htm
    http://blog.al.com/live/2010/06/many_foreign_offers_to_help_wi.html

So while some may not have a problem with today's round of golf, it is completely relevant to the majority of the country that thinks maybe there is some cluelessness from this administration.

12. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I agree with Flutterby.

BP's issue period. The President only had to get his administration involved because BP is not doing *(#$.

Also, our President has many issues on his plate not just the problem BP has caused.

I will PROUDLY state and I am REPUBLICAN but and tired of "President" bashing.

This is a huge problem in our country today. Dem's blame Republican's, Republican's blame Dem's. Take resposiblity and stop deflecting it.

I am off my soap box now:mad:

13. Flutterby

EXACTLY!!

And a response to Lance above.. There are MOST DEFINITELY people who blame the President for this BP crisis.. They've made if very clear..

The President stepped in because BP wasn't doing enough, they still aren't doing enough.. they are worried about their bottom line and what their Big wigs are making.. they aren't worried about the lives they've ruined, both animal and human, they aren't worried about the environment.

14. Becky Stevens mom

Of course I could start posting links and pics of what former president Bush was doing when Katrina made land fall and decimated the states along the gulf coast. But really, what purpose would it serve? We all know that he was on vacation at his ranch in Texas. I believe he was clearing brush the day after or some type of odd job around the place. Guess it couldnt wait for him to make his big photo opp of doing the flyover of the gulf region:rolleyes: That of course was a natural disaster, one that no one could stop or control. But the handling of that by Gee Dubya and company was sickening! I know that people like Bush feel that those "small people" down there arent important but they are!

I also know that many people dont understand why I voted for Barack Obama and will do so again. Because he wasnt born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His Father didnt make millions off of the oil industry in Texas and over seas. I also didnt post this thread to have people further bad mouth and trash our fairly elected President of the United States. He was fairly elected folks :) No hanging chads in the state run by his brother:rolleyes: Therefore I guess some people believe in him, some people think that hes got what it takes to turn things around. And if he doesnt its not because he hasnt tried.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

I hesitate to say "Ditto" for obvious reasons but .... ditto.

It's not just venting about the mess in general with shared frustration towards BP and the administration. It's when people find ANY opportunity or opening, relevant or not, to slander and/or bash the President. It's as if some have a sort of political turrets syndrome and just can't help blurting out derogatives. I mean it makes no sense to me.

16. Lance

Lance Approved members

I guess I should have been clearer. I haven't seen any posts in this forum that blamed anyone other than BP (and maybe some sloppy regulators). I'm pretty conservative, and frankly, I don't know anyone who blames the President for the spill.

BP needs to be held fully responsible, but first, everyone needs to concentrate on stopping the flow of oil.

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Well, I guess that's the problem, I'm not a Republican. :p

So, I think most can agree that the execute branch of the federal government, tasked with executing federal laws and programs, has dropped the ball here, right?

So, let's call it bashing the president when we have a thread saying, "President Obama is responsible for the sick tragedy of coconut M & Ms."

I think it's perfectly legit to say that the Obama administration is guilty of allowing this mess to be even bigger than it was going to be in the first place. I think it's a tragedy that the shoreline wasn't allowed to be protected because of bureaucratic rules never designed for this sort of situation. I don't find BP or the administration solely culpable for this wreck (as I've said elsewhere), but I do find it insane that anyone would consider either of them not culpable.

As for Reps blaming Dems and Dems blaming Reps, I agree that that is a shell game. How about each individual takes the blame he has earned and no more -- no one gets to shoulder blame based on being rich, poor, dem, rep, lib, cons, CEO, POTUS, big, small, American, British. Guilt is a product of wrong action, not a condition of group affiliation.