- advertisement -

DD's 18K (10+ mile) run

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by wilf, Oct 23, 2013.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

Out for a looong training run with DD yesterday. She challenged me (and I accepted) to run a Half-Marathon this year.

We were out yesterday enjoying fall colours on hilly trails through the woods in our area. We ran for over 2 hours, and had a great time! :)

Blood sugars were ok, we had them up at 160 by the start of the run. DD had 80 g carbs worth of juice along - it was all consumed. Blood sugars were 115 mid-run, and 130 at the end. She is dropping lots overnight after these runs, and that is actually the trickiest part of managing the D side of the picture.

Race day is November 3rd, and we're looking forward to it. :cwds:

2. 22jules

22jules Approved members

That's awesome and very inspiring!! Well done!

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Good luck!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So that would make Nov. 4th "Beer Monday"? :p

Good luck! Hope she has great numbers and that you survive :cool:

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Ha ha - actually it will be Beer Sunday later that day.. :D

Thanks for the good wishes - it will be a great day. We've done enough training runs that we've got the blood sugars figured out. And although not as fit as in my teens and 20s, I'm fit enough to go the distance. :cwds:

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

Good luck.

Our son starts swimming for school soon and that's going to be really tricky. Playing in the pool is one thing but training is going to something else.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

well done! There is a poster (Not sure if she still comes around BrendaK) she has type 1 as does her son and they're both doing marathons. Maybe she'll pop in to share what works for them at night.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm finding that for runs of 10 miles and over I have to have DD at around 160 at bedtime, and then give her a snack of something hearty and slow to digest.

9. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Wow - what an inspiration! Best of luck to both of you!

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Congrats to both of you -- that's fantastic!

I'm a fairly new runner of about 2.5 years -- just finished my 2nd marathon and Carson completed his 2nd half marathon in September. Once you figure out what works for diabetes, it becomes pretty easy to manage. I like to use GU's, Carson likes gatorade, and we both like bonk breakers. Both of us use Amphipod running belts. Carson uses the clip from his pump to clip to the belt and then uses the pocket that comes with the belt to put his phone, dexcom, and food in. He turns his pump down to 50% for running if he's going out more than an hour.

So running and diabetes has been easy -- but Carson just started swimming 2 months ago and that's KILLING me. Pump has to be off for swimming, and the wild card is the "dryland" practices for conditioning. That's the hard part -- the weight training on top of cardio at night and then a big late dinner. Ugh.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Wow - Carson sounds like a wildman! He must be in awesome shape, and his insulin needs must be pretty low with all the carbs he's burning.

But I agree, it's pretty easy to deal with running once you get a handle on the decreased insulin needs and increased carb needs.. :cwds:

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

The Half-Marathon was today (13 miles, or 21 K). DD finished in 2:13, I finished in 2:19. I tried manfully to keep up with her, but by the half way mark found that I was just holding her back. She was very strong.

D management was easy. I had the brainstorm of just giving her a half Lantus dose when we got up this morning (rather than the usual full one), and she stayed pretty steady right through the race. Then we just gave the second half afterwards.

For those of you who are starting your D journeys (as we were 7 years ago), be clear that there is almost nothing our kids can't do! :cwds:

13. travelingmom

travelingmom Approved members

Im so glad to find this forum. My son was in the middle of training for a half with me when he was diagnosed. He ran 10 miles the day before his diagnosis! He took one day off while in the hospital and was released the next day and asked if we could go for a run. We went 4 miles. I was proud of him. And I was a nervous wreck. He was ble to finish training and ran the half less than a month after his diagnosis. None of my family and most of my friends can't truly appreciate what exactly that took so I thought I would share it here. :)

I have a question though too. He is pretty fast and after the last 5k he ran he got very sick. He wasn't on cgm at that point so we didnt watch his numbers during. But he didn't get too low after the race. We always watch his numbers very carefully. But he said he felt low. Has anyone experienced that? Before he was diagnosed he could run fast and didn't have that symptom so I'm p r etty sure its the diabetes.

14. travelingmom

Congrats on the race both of you! It's a great accomplishment!

15. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Congratulations to you both!

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

By pretty sick you mean throwing up?

I was a cross country runner as a teen, and throwing up was not uncommon. I never did, but I saw lots of others. Kids push themselves pretty hard in those races.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm curious what you're doing. We're in the same boat. Basal stays on but we are having a 20g CHO snack prior to practice. Yesterday was grueling to watch as it was 1 hour of non-stop hard swimming. BG started around 160 and ended around 110. He was really hungry so we stopped for a McD bacon double cheeseburger - something we almost never get. He had risen 30 points in 15 minutes so we fully corrected and bolused. He was 80 before dinner and had a moderate carb meal. He dropped a little low before bed so a few tablets then he was highish most of the night. I guess the night time high is what's confusing me.

18. travelingmom

It's definitely a different sick then pushing himself sick. He was a runner before he was diagnosed and he would get that kind of sick. But he says this is different. I felt bad for him because at one race in Sea World he had to sit out on the first several rides because he felt so sick. I wish he was able to describe it better, but he's never been good at describing his ailments.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Do you have any sense if this feeling of being sick is related to either high or low blood sugars?

20. travelingmom

I should have asked my son about this before I posted. He said the last time he got so sick he was at 50 after the race!!! Well no wonder he was sick, my memory was that is wasn't because he was too low, but I was wrong. This last time was only a 5k so we probably weren't as vigilant at making sure his numbers were high enough when he started.