- advertisement -

DD wants total independence, BUT...

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Helenmomofsporty13yearold, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Sorry, just seeing this now. I compiled a list of 5-8 endos based on suggestions from the clinic I was previously going to. I ran them by my oncologist and got the list down to 4. 1 was knocked off the list because he did not take insurance. Then I called the offices and requested an appointment to ask some questions about their practices. 1 refused and I went to the other two. I choose the one that seemed the friendliest and most up to date on technology. Basically, I wanted someone willing to prescribe what I want even if he/she is not familiar and someone who is willing to work with me and not try to fit me into the standard insulin regimens if that makes sense.

I originally planned on using this endo for only 3 years or so since I was planning at that point on moving to Chicago for a 7 year BA/MD program and figured during the last 4 years I would not really be visiting home. I ended up at a school in the Northeast though and I come home for 3-4 days about 3 times a year. I am actually now planning on attending med school in nyc so I could stick with this endo for the next 6 or so years.

My suggestion would be to make the switch at least a year before college or plan to stick with the pediatric endo through college. The transition to college is not necessarily tough but "weird" (sorry can't think of another word to describe it...) and it helps to have someone who has a decent idea of your medical history.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions or are looking for an adult endo in the NYC area.

2. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

What about having your daughter re-take the education classes? Maybe hearing all of the advice that you have been giving her from another adult might help her to let it sink in, instead of brushing it off.

Your signature doesn't say how old she was when she was dx'ed, but if it was before the teen years/ or early in her teen years, then it might be something to look at, she would be hearing it with more matured ears.

But for me, it went from my mom & I managing it together, to just me managing it almost completely overnight, because of a family situation that is a LONG story.
    I made a few mistakes, and learned from them, but I wish it hadn't been so sudden of a change.

Now my mom orders some of my supplies (some I order) and I am trying to transition into taking care of D stuff on my own.
    She does still come into the endo appointments with me, and I am still comfortable with that, I would just like there to be a little time frame where it is just me & the endo.

Hope this works out in the best way for both you & your daughter.