- advertisement -

DD tired of explaining

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Mar 6, 2011.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

Her friends that are aware for sometime have been told that she can have what she wants to eat. But again, when spending the night over her friends house, they said, are you sure you can have that.? I did not know you are able to have that" and over and over again she has to explain that she can eat whatever she wants, as long as she takes insulin for it.

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Same boat here. She's recently become tired of all the same questions from the same people...."Does that hurt?" "Can you eat that?" "Why do you have to do that?" "Why can you have candy now?"

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It is annoying. I don't know how to politely deal with that.

4. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Practice firm, definitive statements and a confident tone of voice. Even a curt "Yep. Not a problem." with no further explanation should work.

5. momof2kids

momof2kids Approved members

EXACTLY what I was going to say. Just "yup, I sure can" and move on. That's what I do when other parents ask me the same questions.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've just started saying, "Yes, Type 1 is a bit confusing if you're not living it", period. end of discussion.

I think that people just don't really believe a kid when a kid is known to have a chronic condition, which they associate with food, and the kid says, "Yes, I can, eat that _____". And of course the "_____" food is usually something "fun" - no one asks a D kid if they "are allowed" that baked potato.:rolleyes:

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh, I hate those questions. I get them even as an adult with D and my Mother is the worst offender. I told her I was going to get her a Police Hat and put on it "Diabetes Police Officer" if she didn't stop.
    I know people mean well but those kind of questions drive me bats.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I had a mom ask me the other day what I will do at birthday parties when all the other kids are allowed to have cake and he is not. I just said "he can have cake too". She looked at me funny, but she stopped talking.