- advertisement -

DD made a D friend!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Jul 17, 2012.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

When dd started summer music a few weeks ago she sat down in the hall waiting for her class to start. I was going to check on ds so I said, "Do you need to check your bs?" She said no so I said ok, and went to check on my son. When I came back I chatted a little with the girl sitting next to her. she seemed quiet so I asked like what grade are you in and isn't dd's bookmark weird, etc. Then dd says to me, "E has diabetes." I was like NO Way! Really? Then I notice her tubing and asked about her animas, etc.

What are the odds that the first kid she sits next to in the hall is the only other kid in town entering middle school, like dd, with diabetes! Well they hang out everyday and have become fast friends. The girl actually went to preschool with dd's best friend so the 3 of them hang out and have a blast. Small world. Small town.

I ended up getting the girls last name and looking up her number and cold-calling the parents, like "You don't know me but our kids are friend from summer music and I was wondering if she could come over." the dad clearly thought I was nuts. and then I said, "dd has diabetes," and I could actually hear the smile on his face. Suddenly we were old friends. :)

BTW, E's mom, if you are on this board, give me a shout out. :D

2. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Lucky :). My DD is the only diabetic in the whole school :(

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

That's wonderful! We are blessed that dd has a 2 d friends in our town. She actually met one girl at d camp. They get along so great we've invited her with us on a recent trip to visit family. It was very sweet watching them. When one was low the other would get the meter ready and get glucose tabs out. The mom and I have also become good friends too. It's great to expand the "village" of our family circle. :cwds:

4. denise3099

When I asked if they talk about D, she said no. I was so happy. they are genuine friends who just happen to both have D. :)

5. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

That is too cool! This week, I took my three to a Vacation Bible School here in town at a church that my neighbors attend. We are relatively new to this area, and no one really knows how to handle my dd's needs except for school nurses, etc. I was kind of nervous about taking them and leaving them, but we live less than five minutes away. I was going to stay if needed. The lady taking my children's registeration saw that my dd had Type 1 diabetes, and she started talking to dd about her pump. She then lifted her shirt sleeve to reveal her omnipod. I felt so relieved. She told me that if her teachers needed anything to come find her.

6. denise3099

Wow, that is awesome!

When dd was first dx at age 4, I called the director of the preschool to explain. She was a woman maybe 60 yrs old. She said she was dx with D at age 19!!! She said not to worry everything would be fine. I still love her for that!

7. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

Yep - My DS is also the ONLY diabetic in his school as well.

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

This is wonderful! I love my D friends for the people they are, but it is so nice to have thought in the back of your mind that if you did want/need to talk about D, you could.