- advertisement -

DD is having an MRI

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zapsmom, Aug 18, 2011.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My Dd is scheduled for a MRI in Septmber. She will be sedated for this procedure. She is scheduled for 12:30pm. The instruction stated she can`t eat anything after midnight and she can have clear fluids up to 4 hours prior to procedure. This has me worried. I have called our CDE for advice regarding the time of the procedure. Usually for these types of procedures where she has to be sedated her appointment is made for first thing in the morning not early afernoon. Do you think I should the hospital and ask her appointment time to be changed?

2. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

I understand your concern. I'd be concerned, as well. And, yes. I think I'd reschedule it for first thing in the morning. Good luck!!

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

I would definitely asked to have it rescheduled first thing in the morning. It's a very legitimate concern, especially if they get backed up during the day and then her appointment is pushed past 12:30.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

totally. They may not have paid attention to her age and / or diabetes status (if they even knew that) I would DEMAND an early appt.

for what it's worth - do you think she'll really need sedation? Perhaps they can show her the machine first, the sounds it makes etc.

5. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I thought this as well about the time of the appointment. CDE called me and told me that the endo said that this time would be fine. We are to cut her N in half and give no humulog at all that morning. She said that they(tech and nurses) at the MRI will check her sugars before she goes in to the machine. She give me instruction and told me to keep the time as it was scheduled for. I have a feeling I am going to be VERY stressed out this day!!!

Frizzyrazzy, I wish she wouldn't have to be sedated but she doesn't like close in areas and she has alot of fears, like close in areas, dark, and loud noises. There would be NO way she would stay still for an hour for this MRI.

6. frizzyrazzy

it just rots that , diabetes aside, they're not taking into consideration the fact that a young child has to wait ALL day to eat....that truly sucks.

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

She should be fine with 1/2 NPH. They usually recommend 1/3 less, so they are being conservative. You can always run her a little higher for those few hours by giving carby liquids when you are allowed. You are doing the right thing having her sedated. MRI's are not so bad if it's the lower half of the body, but anything higher is downright unbearable. Imagine a jackhammer breaking cement right beside your head. Plus, they take 25 minutes...way too long for a little one to lay still.

8. frizzyrazzy

I actually disagree, and so would my son. I fell asleep during mine and last year my son had one, on his brain, and thought it was really no big deal at all. Loud? yes. jachammer loud? no. unbearable, not at all.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Not sure if any of this will help as my son is a bit younger and he is on a pump rather than MDI. He has had an MRI but he was only a few days old so can't really comment.

However, he has had a number of surgeries in the past few years and we've had to deal with the same worries.

I would agree with everyone else who has suggested you get the MRI scheduled early. We always try to have him first on the list. If we know what time he will be having the op we can usually get him there with reasonable BGLs. If he is not first on the list we run the risk of the other ops overrunning and he ends up going low. Your daughter's diabetes is an added complication that others on the list won't have so I would push for her to take priority.

Of course there may be unexpected events such as emergency surgeries taking priority over your daughter. This is only right and proper. About a year ago we were waiting for our son's surgery and his BGLs started to go a bit low. As he was nil by mouth I gave a mini dose of glucagon just to keep his sugars up. It worked and the op went without a hitch. So there are options.

You just need to get her to the op. Once she is in the hands of the anaesthetist she will be closely monitored while she is in the MRI so there won't be anything to worry about (other than the fact your daughter is having an MRI while sedated in the first place :( )

10. Chaser

Chaser Approved members

Chase has had 3 MRI studies (2 of the studies were at the same time) in the last 2 months. They wanted to sedate him for both. The first was was a "simple" scan and I was able to call around and find a MRI center that would try the MRI in the evening to see if he would be able to be still for about 20 minutes. They put ear plugs in his ears.

When he had to have the second set done it was scheduled at the teaching hospital for around 12 with sedation. Sorry....That will not work for me. His age and his diabetes. This time, the neurosurgeons nurse called another location and again allowed him to "try" before having to be sedated. The second set required him to be on his stomach for one of the scans.

Good luck!