- advertisement -

DD getting new pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Pretty excited, she is switching to the tslim. Should be ordered on Monday and she should be up and running before Christmas. Anything that we should be aware of when switching from medtronic? I am pretty much hands off at this point, she is in college full time (living at home still), working anywhere from 20 to 34 hours a week at her job.. so we rarely even see her it seems!

I hear the clip is horrible, anything else?

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

The clip is really low-quality. I had one clip completely break within three months, but I was shipped a complimentary replacement after calling Tandem about it.

Because of the micro-delivery technology, bolusing and priming take forever to complete. It probably takes 3-4 minutes for a 17-unit tubing prime, but it is very easy to get other things done while the tubing is priming (I'm guilty of brewing a cup of coffee in the time it takes for my tubing to completely fill).

Do not forget that Apidra cannot be used with the TSlim. There is an issue with Apidra crystallizing while in the cartridge and causing occlusion alarms less than 48 hours after doing a cartridge change.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We have the t:slim and it is our first pump so far but we love it. Agree the clip is not great. We use a spibelt and 90 degree insets.

The only irritation for me (again, with nothing to compare to) is that it only reverse corrects under 70. Would love to be able to customize this feature. We just knock off 5g carbs when under 90 and 10g under 80.

Yes, the priming is stupid slow, but considering the basal is delivered in smaller increments more often than other pumps, it does make sense. You get more of a trickle like a real pancreas, but that means a more tedious tube fill.

Good luck!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We used MM for 5 years, and it was a very easy transition for us. I had to follow along with the quick start guide the first couple of times I changed a reservoir, but otherwise the menus are very intuitive and easy to set up. We didn't do any training or anything.

Hope she loves it!

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

tSlim is so tiny without the clip that it slips into most pockets with no problem.

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I would take a minute to go through all the the alerts and only turn on the ones you really want (I don't know which, if any, are default and which we turned on). We had a bunch of alerts turned on for awhile and the pump seemed like it was beeping all the time. The one that irritated me the most was the "you entered a high bg 2 hours ago" alert. If she were high at night I'd hear the thing beeping though the baby monitor periodically overnight unless I got up to turn it off. Until I learned you could turn off the alert permanently, I wouldn't enter a bg over 200 into the pump at nighttime. I'd just enter 1 gram of carbs (no bg) and customize the amount of insulin I gave her to avoid the beeping.

7. Kaylas mom

Thank you all for the great suggestions! She wears sweats and workout capri's a lot and her MM clip just broke and it is driving her nuts. I should probably get her a belt of somesort.. she doesn't like the spibelt, we tried that when she started working and she hated it.

8. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

The flipbelt is a bit different than the spibelt. I was playing around with one at the mall a few days ago, and the TSlim fits in nicely (even with the clip). I've also had luck wearing a bandeau bra and placing the pump in there.

9. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter uses a Flipbelt for her Dexcom receiver (named Phil); sometimes she also throws in her iPhone and a mini pack of Skittles with room to spare. It fits snugly, but not too tightly. She likes it a lot more than the SpiBelt she outgrew.

10. Kaylas mom

Okay, just added the flipbelt to my Amazon cart this morning. Thanks for the suggestion, that does look like a better solution.