- advertisement -

DD choosing Omnipod or Ping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

So after camp my DD decided she wanted a pump. After going through the process with the clinic and the pump try on she is undecided between the Omnipod versus the Ping. Today I will be having her write a pro versus cons list but I am also hoping to get some insight from you all. Also, I have gotten some advice to get the ping paid for through insurance then get the Omnipod as a second pump. Insurance will cover 100% of everything for both pumps. If we get the Omnipod second how does that work? Will insurance cover any of the parts after paying for the Ping?

The site for the Ping (try on) came off the first day. I doubt that would always happen but DD wants to know just what are the chances that the site comes off a lot?

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I wish we had done that. I loved the Ping. We did have trouble with the site staying on. We tried different tapes and skin tac wipes and nothing really worked.

He started the Pod when the smaller size came out. We had a lot of issues with failing pods or the pods just fell off. He ended up taking a pump break over the summer because he was so frustrated. He started up on the Pod again in September and it has been so much better. I got a jar of Skin Tac because I read somewhere that it works better than the Skin Tac wipes. Holy cow, does it work better. It's like super glue and he can take a shower/bath without it falling off. It's been amazing. We also have only had a few failures. I think they had quality control issues in the beginning with the smaller pods because of the high demand. It's much better now.

I wish we knew how much better the jar of Skin Tac worked than the wipes when he was on the Ping. Life would have been much easier on us. =)

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's called the Cut the Cord program. I assume they are still running it. They verify that you have an in-warranty tubed pump, and then they will sell you a PDM for $199.00. Your insurance company will cover Pods just the same as they cover infusion sets.

We're actually sticking a pod on my son today, because he is going to a Halloween party tonight, and he'd have to disrobe to get to his pump otherwise.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Is absorption different between the two pumps? Do you just keep basal rates and I/C ratios the same and slap on a pod?

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have been on the Ping since it came on the market. Overall, we are happy with the product. However, we have recently begun investigating other pumps because my daughter is older now and the "200" units aka 187u just is not enough for her. She's also tired of all the button pushing. IMO, there's a lot of unnecessary reentering into the pump. We have always liked the remote, but being a OT product, they do require more blood than it's competitors. Of course, you can always use the meter of your choice and manually enter everything. We've used insets successfully for 9 years and always use skin-tac. As long as you don't put it on right before or after a shower, you should be fine. We've had times when they've fallen off, but overall, falling off hasn't been a major issue.
    I think you'll find that overall, the Ping is a pretty good product.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We keep everything the same. The t:slim has lower increments for basal, so we have to round up or down, but it doesn't really matter.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

So do we with Medtronic. It's important to check to see what's changed between wearings, though. We saw some highs this week because my daughter had compared the basals and forgot to check the I:C ratios. It took me two days to realize why we were suddenly seeing yellow mountains after meals.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have two girls on the Ping, and in the past we have used Omnipod. Overall I love the Ping compared to the t:slim, Accu-Chek Combo or the POD. Althought POD would be a close second to Ping.

I have dancers and there are just times that we need to not a pump attached. My oldest also uses Lantus along side her pump basal and this allows her to be off the pump for 1.5 hr dance practices without going super high with the next meals because of missed basal. My youngest is still honeymooning a bit so she can stand pump off for awhile.

Yes the Ping has a lot of button pressing but you can change setting on the fly with ease and that is the win for me. Omnipod has "confirmatiory" button pressing going one which I did not find much different.

When we got the Omnipod we also did do the cut the cord program and paid 199 for the pdm and got pod just as a regular order of insets.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, this is a big plus. You can change I:C, ISF, target while in the bolus menu in a snap. When we met with the MM rep, that was one of the first questions I asked and he said it's not possible :(

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

You undoubtedly have already gotten a number of posts advising you against the OmniPod. Our experience with the OmniPod has been quite positive. I highly suggest you visit:

tudiabetes

and look up the OmniPod users group for a more balanced viewpoint on this pump.

11. MomofSweetOne

I just reread the thread and didn't see anyone advising against the Pod. What I did see was that several of us advised Cut-the-Cord. My daughter is adament that she would never choose the Pod as her only pump, but she's very glad she has the option for the summer and other times. She wore it for 3 days last week for a dress and then immediately switched back to Medtronic. The pod and its screaming can really wear on some teens after while.

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I suggest you have your daughter wear the Ping for 24 hours and a pod for 24 hours, making sure she sleeps, showers, etc ... just like a normal day while using both devices. This may make the decision much easier. It did for us.

13. MomofSweetOne

24 hours isn't really enough. The typical 3 day trial allows them time to adjust to it. But, trials are still trials. My daughter eliminated the Animas because the boluses hurt her, but a non-active pod that can't scream doesn't give that aspect of life with it. But as I've said many times, we're glad to have the pod through cut-the-cord for part-time use.

One HUGE plus of the pod for us was that we didn't deal with site failures. Only one in all the months my daughter has worn it. We went through so many kinks, etc. that affected BGs with the Medtronic before switching to Sure-Ts.

A HUGE plus of Medtronic for my daughter is it being attached. She never has to stop to go find the PDM before bolusing. The steps required to get the device can be exhausting for a burned-out teen.

14. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Hi everyone.

My DD wore both for three days. She had even previously worn the non-functioning omnipods for a few days. She still was not sure which she wanted. As parents we really thought that she would appreciate not being tethered to a tube and suggested that she take the omnipod.

I did have concerns about screaming pods and after doing some research decided that it would not happen too much. But now I still see complaints about screaming pods. So do people still think this is going to be a factor or not?

Of course button pushing is not something one can learn during a try on. It sounds like either way the button pushing is not onerous but maybe not 1-2-3 go either.

15. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

If your daughter has tried both and is still undecided, I think you should just go Cut The Cord. It's a $199 insurance policy. My son wore the tubed pump and said "no way". Hated it. Pod he doesn't mind nearly as much. Are there occasional pod failures? Sure, but not nearly as many as a year ago (we haven't had a failure in at least 5 months) and the inconvenience of the failures far outweighs his distaste for wearing a tubed pump. If he were on the fence, I would have gone tubed and Cut The Cord.

16. dshull

dshull Approved members

If the $199 is not a big deal to you, definitely get a tubed pump through insurance and then pay the $199 for cut the cord and then you'll have both. If you get the Omnipod through insurance, you won't be able to get another pump for 4 years.

We have the Ping and got the Omnipod for the summer. Like the Ping better overall and went back to it when he went back to school and stopped swimming everyday. If you were to ask my son which one he liked better, you'd get mixed answers. He definitely likes the Pods because he can swim and swim all day and I don't stop him every hour to reconnect. But on the flip side, we can barely make it three days on a pod and we have multiple failures, bent cannulas, etc. And that drove him crazy. More than quadruple the problems we have had with the Ping. So the pods are great for him when they work, but they don't work with much regularity for us.

The biggest reason I would not want him on the pods all the time is needing to remember the PDM everywhere you go. Guaranteed he would leave the thing at school and then we'd have to way to bolus him.

Right now I would say that we plan to use the pods again next summer. But I am really glad we did not get the Omnipod through insurance because I would not want to use it all the time.

Hope this helps!

17. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We never trialed the pod, but did get a sample to wear for size. (The older larger one). We went with the ping. What I love about the ping is that it is super durable. She NEVER takes it off. She wears it for ballet, karate, gymnastics, and SWIMMING. She's been on the ping for more than six years and we have never had a problem. For gymnastics she tends to put the set in her arm so we don't worry about it getting bumped. She wears the pump itself in a padded camera case lengthwise on her hip under tights shorts to keep it out of the way for sports and activities.

She swims in the ocean, pools and lakes without it being a problem. We do disconnect sometimes for swimming, but that is to head off a low, not because I am worried about the pump in the water. She also wears steel sets so we rarely get a site failure.

She has caught her tubing on things from time to time and her brother has ripped out a set wrestling with her, but I think that would happen with the pod as well.

I think the cut the cord program sounds perfect. That way you can swap out from time to time.

18. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

19. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've only ever used pods. Almost 5 years now. Yes there do seem to occasionally be some bad batches and the whole switch to the new PDM/Pods was a debacle. She's 18 and she wouldn't switch to a tubed pump if she had to. She leaves her PDM somewhere about once a year or so, not very often and we've always just worked around it. Yes they do make noise, teens learn to ignore it fairly quickly, or at least mine does.

The issue we are having currently is our insurance won't cover the freestyle strips. That may be something you want to look into as well. We're still appealing. But she's said she'll just carry another meter if needed.

Pods seem to be a love em or hate em sort of thing. Lots of people use them with very few issues. Some seem to have tons and tons of issues.

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I used Medtronic for years and used almost exclusively my abdomen for sites. When I switched to the pod I ventured for sites I've never used before, primarily because I could never do a back site by myself with silhouettes! Now I try and reserve my abdomen for Dexcom since I get the most accurate readings there. The result is my insulin needs are far lower on the pod! I had tons of lows when I first switched.

Screaming pods have been minimal for me. Mostly when I let the pod totally expires (at 80 hours) which is nearly every time I change it. I've had a few fail where the pod got really manipulated- but they hurt so I was almost relieved when it failed. I went through a ropes course with the pod on my leg and the harness kept knocking it around. That one failed.

For the most part, I feel less diabetic than I ever did on a tubed pump. After nearly 10 years on a tubed pump, I've enjoyed it being invisible more than I anticipated.