advertisement

Day 1.. PDM Failure 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sherry Wendi's Mom, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

Well we thought we were doing good. Small corrections all day, so basal not quite right. That is normal right, so I go to download PDM info into the software in the computer. Plug PDM in...Loud alarm. :eek: "PDM Error, change pod, call customer service." Argh. Called cust serv, she was very nice helped me reset the PDM. Guess what that means... I have to reprogram everything and all the checks, corrections, boluses (that I have not been writing down cause I can download them) Gone!!!!!! Thank goodness, I know when the last correction was so that we can wait two hours for the next one. Wendi has been pretty independent all day doing corrections/boluses, so I have no idea where her numbers have been. (I can round about guesstimate but not accurately with the time and all that.) I learned my lesson. Paper log at least until this initial period is over. Anyone with pod, have the same problem often. Now I am concerned about hooking PDM to computer. I am worried that it will happen often and we will have to change pod each time.:confused:

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If it makes you feel any better, that's happened to us also - but only 2 times in 3 years. But it is frustrating when it happens, as you do have to replace the pod.

Both times it happened to us, we were running on low batteries. My advice is:

- Watch the battery indicator, and replace the batteries when it is down to one bar.
    - Download to the PC only when you are about to replace the pod anyway.

If the pod is dropped, the batteries can lose connection briefly which can also cause a PDM error.

3. Bahama-mama

Bahama-mama Approved members

We have never had this problem, been pumping since Aug.

4. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Darryl, does the download not include numbers from that day. DH and I had been able to download earlier, but only info for yesterday and before had been downladed. This info does us no good as we didn't start pumping till today. (we had played around with it when we got it, and we started using the meter last night). I guess I am a bit confused that the current days history wouldn't be included.

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

The PDM only downloads full days.
    So if you download now it will work for 1/19 but not 1/20 yet.
    We just got around to downloading and hooping this week and Insulet walked us through the ins and outs. This was one of his main points about the downloading because I assumed there was an error because it wasn't downloading the day I was on.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

We have never had that particular problem but we have had to replace the pod because of occlusions or it not sticking on. As we got better at sticking it on, that has not been a problem in some time but it was at first because we were just not totally good at it I guess. We dont even need more tape now, but at first we put more tape across it or supported it on her arm w a little wrist warmer type thing..sorry you are off to a rocky start!! hang in there!

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

We do still keep a paper log because I find it easier to look through somehow..I am a dinosaur!! :eek:

8. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

It has been a while but when we have had to reset which like Daryl said only a couple of times and I maybe not at all since we got the new version PDM so maybe this is not right but I was thinking that it did not lose data except the time had to be reset and then it would not allow you to use the Bolus wizard for what ever amount of time you had the Insulin duration(for us 3 hours) set at as a precaution but you could bolus manually, I agree with Daryl on the battery thing if they are low it can cause an error - we try to change at 1 bar too and then I keep the batteies to use for remotes or other items because they still have jusce just not enough for the PDM. Of course I am finding we use AAA batteries for almost nothing but the PDM.

9. Sherry Wendi's Mom

You are right; we didn't lose the information. I just thought I did. I downloaded this morning and we had all the info from yesterday. Thank goodness. Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. Yesterday was a long day and it ended with that.

10. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

It will get better and then after a while when there are bumps in the road you will let them roll off alot easier.