- advertisement -

Daughter's first job

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Kaylas mom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I am sure this has been asked a million times, I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything. My recently graduated from high school T1 daughter got her first summer job this week while waiting for college to start this fall. She doesn't drive (not due to D but due to damage done from epilepsy when she was younger). She is working as a sacker at a grocery store nearby. They have this policy of no personal items brought to work, no phones, no purses, no anything. An ex coworker of mine is actually going to be training her (suggested she get the job because she understands her needs a little more) So of course K is a little overwhelmed and nervous about not having her phone and not having her purse. I said, that there are always exceptions to the rule. I texted my friend (which I need to not do since I know she needs to work this out herself) she said.. there is a little mailbox with her name that is not secure that she can keep her meter in and she can check on her 15 min break 2.5 hours into her shifts, if I am working she can keep whatever she needs in my office which is closer to her. This is a huge grocery store, so it isn't like there is a lot of down time or only a couple of people in there at a time. Sometimes when I am shopping there I feel like it is black friday with the lines and the amount of people there.. it is insane.

So, what would you have her do? I am thinking just keeping something to treat lows on her and if she feels anything just treat and then she can deal with checking and numbers and corrections later?

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm thinking the legally have to let her keep her meter and glucose tabs or something like that with her. I'd be afraid of her starting to feel low and then, not have an opportunity to leave and get her meter because it's not her break time. I'd contact the ADA and see what they have to say about this situation.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I personally would request that she be able to carry on her body a meter and tabs/ treatment either in her pockets or a some sort of Spibelt/running belt.

This is easily covered under ADA guidelines, I would also address the possibility for needing to be off the floor treating a low and rechecking her number later.

It is important that she asks for the things that will help her feel safe in a new environment with unknown effects on BG.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

A meter is not a personal item, it is a medical device. She should just bring it with her, and store it in the mailbox..

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

6. Kaylas mom

Thanks, we do use a spibelt for my youngest son's epi. That is an option. Her first two days are training on Monday and Wed so I imagine she will get a little bit of time to figure it out.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Congratulations to your daughter on her first job! Agree with the others that just assume Medical devices are not personal items and send her with her stuff in a belt or pants pocket and just assume there will be no issues. All those around you will probably just follow your lead. So happy for your daughter.,
    Ali

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This.

My guess the policy is more about having stuff stolen (no lockers) than about having things brought. And maybe phones being used during work time.

Like you said.....let her work it out, quietly do your nail-biting in the background, and only step in if she asks for help (or is very obviously over her head). Congrats on the first job! That's a huge milestone. :)

9. Kaylas mom

Thanks, she has taken her brother's spibelt to work each day so far and has had no problems.. of course she is still training so :) Oh and apparently I was wrong, she is not a sacker she is working in the kitchen. She told me this morning that I needed to buy her a spibelt of her own because switching out meter/poker/test strips/glucose tabs with his Epi/inhaler/benadryl is getting to be a pain in the rear. At somepoint they will both be out of the house alone at the same time, so I suppose.