advertisement

Dating w D

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Omo2three, Jan 16, 2010.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been completely independently managing my diabetes for almost 5 years. I can't imagine anyone else having a huge role in it. Besides waking me up at night if I seemed low or staying with me during a bad low, I don't expect a future partner to do a lot of my D care. And that's one of the few things that I DON'T think I need counselling for. :p

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I didn't mean to be saying that D care has to be turned over, but I do think diabetes, its care, expectations, etc. are an extremely important area to discuss in premarital counseling. It does affect everyone, and some of the posts in the marriage section of this are heart-breaking, as was the post a bit ago about the wife of a Type 1 telling the mom of a Type 1 that if she'd known what she knows now, she wouldn't have married her husband. While there are probably other issues, talking this out and becoming a team could make or break the success of the new family. We all know how exhausting and never-ending D is. You do an awesome job; we admire you. We know it from the other side, and all I'm saying is that it will be important not to shut other family members out as it affects everyone deeply.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yep, fair enough! I also find posts in the marriage section heartbreaking. I like to think that my D would never be a deal-breaker, but if it is then I'd like to find out before the marriage. :p I've said before that I think D is quite a good way of screening people, LOL. If they can't cope with a bit of chronic illness, I wouldn't want them anyway. ;)

4. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've been married twice(still to the second). I must say my first one truly learned and understood my diabetes, and knew before me, BY LOOKING at me if I was going low( was with him 6 or 7 years I think). My current is very good, but he still truly doesn't understand D. He does help me with all aspects and supports me, just doesn't understand totally. He's devoted, but I don't think he's bright enough to "get " it after 24 or 25 years .