- advertisement -

darn pizza

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry but 5 months in and probably honeymooning and you're lecturing people about tight control??
    Let's talk in 5 years, shall we?

2. Nightowl

Nightowl Approved members

Sarah Maddie's Mom...If all goes as I desperately hope, my son will still be honeymooning in five years. God willing.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well, God willing, in 5 years, there will be a cure. But in 5 years, the honeymoon most likely won't be happening. Not becuase of anything you or your child did, but more becuase of how your child's body reacts to this disease. And this is the mom of a still honeymoon child diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago who eats on average 250 carbs a day.

4. phil413

phil413 Approved members

I would like to say that I applaud your implementation of a very healthy diet for your child. That being said, having a Low Carb diet is not the end all/be all to good diabetes management.

I had an interesting conversation with a mom in my area yesterday. We have Type 1 daughters, both 8 years old. They are very focused on controlling the amount and type of carbs, but they need to also work on trending, ratio management, accurate carb counting, etc.

We on the other hand focus on trends, ratios, accurate carb counting etc. And not as much on total carb levels. Should we eat better at our house? You bet! I know that we could do better and I try to take small steps in that direction on a regular basis.

That being said...my daughters A1C is in the mid 6 range, her daughter's is in the upper 7s. She was frustrated because they eat so much better than we do. (This was a positive converation, we are good friends) I explained that it is not just about controlling carbs/sugars but about all the other details, too. In addition, each kid is different and respond to specific foods differently- YDMV.

While I applaud the low-carb approach that is working for you and know that I need to continue to work towards overall more healthy eating in our home, everyone needs to focus on the whole package of diabetes management. And weigh the balance of a positive, happy, healthy environment in your home with good overall management.

Just my two cents :)

Lee likes this.
  5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just curious as to whether your comment has anything to do with this

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/3/1/140

I do wish you the best...but such long-honeymoons are exceptional.

6. Nightowl

Nightowl Approved members

Sarah Maddie's Mom...I hope that only being at this for 5+ months doesn't mean I can't contribute ideas and my own experiences, for whatever they are worth.

Lee...There is evidence that by completely normalizing blood sugars you can extend the honeymoon. Some doctors say they have patients who appear to be extending the honeymoon indefinitely. That is my goal. Time will only tell. I can only do what I can do. He had an endo appointment this morning and his new A1c is now 5.1. It was 5.6 about one month ago. My goal is mid 4s. I know we still need to work on fine tuning insulin ratios and timing.
    Phil413...I really appreciate your comments. I may be obsessed with this, in fact I clearly am. But I do think overall it is freeing my son from so many struggles and making life easier for him. Anyway, your comments are so true. It's important to remember that everyday. I know my approach is just one way of managing this disease.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Did I say anything of the sort? Obviously not. You've had 17 posts on this tread alone.

But I do take issue with the suggestions, made throughout your posts here that could easily lead a newly dx'd parent of a toddler to panic and be really frightened that they are harming their child by letting their kid's BG touch, or God forbid, sit at 140. If your post had included your child's age and your date of DX they might have been better able to judge if the information was relevant to their situation. That's all.

Sandy's mom likes this.
  8. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

my thoughts exactly...with a honeymoon blood sugars are MUCH easier to control

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Five months!

Five months. No questions, but all the answers. First post on this topic was three months into dx.

Sure, you can contribute, but temper the vehemence of your advice with your lack of experience. Or, qualify it with your personal situation to put it into context. It also helps to occasionally ask for help, because frankly, not doing so makes you appear like a know-it-all.

I've gone from feeling very annoyed, to feeling sorry for you. In a few years, you're going to gain new appreciation how difficult this is.

LJS118 likes this.
  10. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

I have to admit that I am one of those toddler Mom's that was freaking out a little about this carb issue thing. I think I have overall good control of Aidan's BG's, but there are some days that a 140 would be a god send to see on his meter!!! Then I noticed that Nightowl's son is 15 years old, and a 15 yr. old and a 2yr. old is a whole different ballgame!!

11. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Yeah, me too. From the tone of the responses and the "experience" I thought we were talking at least 5 years. Don't we all look so fondly of our first months into D??? :rolleyes: My how things can change! Good Luck, Night Owl

12. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I have not been a part of this thread at all, but just sat back and read the whole thing from beginning to end. My feelings and impressions while reading this thread fluctuated as wildly as my DD's BGs after a night of pizza and ice cream (or for that matter after a night of salad and softball practice). ;)

Bottom line ... no single poster here has all the answers to this disease. No single poster here knows exactly what is best for other people's kids. That is for each parent to decide. If Nightowl really wants to be embraced as a member of this community I would suggest that she put some info about herself and her son in a signature line. When reading posts form other parents it helps me to be able to see information about their child to put into perspective. Advice for the care of my 10 year old wouldn't translate real well to a parent of a three year old (or for that matter a 6 year old). I personally think it takes all kinds to fill this world and I like to hear about new perspectives and opinions. But I do not wish to have them crammed down my throat. I do wish to get to know the members of this community based upon who they are and what they've experienced, not based upon their one flagship issue. I would also hope that when expecting for us to have an open mind about their experiences that they would afford us the same courtesy. So, if nightowl is reading this I hope she would choose to continue to tell us her story, but to tell the complete story and not just the part that has to do with carbs. And in turn I would hope that she would be able to see past her own circumstances and put herself in our shoes and then tailor her advice accordingly. Just my $.02.

Flutterby likes this.
  13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Well said!

14. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

My negative experience with carbs is this, if I didn't give her that many, her DIA would be much shorter, and I could avoid some unpredictable highs and spikes, no matter how much insulin I gave to cover them. Right now Elizabeth is going through a growth spurt, and the last few days her numbers were on a startling rise. After doing some analysis, I've gotten all the carb ratios worked out, and her numbers are back in control, except for her bedtime snack. If I didn't give her that cookie for a bedtime snack, she would have sailed into a nice night time number, but since her bedtime carb ratio was still a bit too high, she spiked.

She did have enough carbs yesterday to meet a healthy allowance, so why did I have to give her that cookie? She wanted it really badly. There's a fine line also between what's good for them emotionally and healthwise as well. It would have made it easy for me to let her go to bed with a great sleep time number, but I don't want her to also hate my guts and this disease because she can't get an occasional cookie. I'm so torn by that fine line, and what exactly to do. I knew in my heart it wasn't good for her, but I did it anyway. I find that sometimes more difficult to deal with than the pure management part.

Therefore, I think IMO, while I don't want to completely eliminate almost all carbs from her diet since she really enjoys carbs, esepcially fruit and whole grain bread, I do try to limit some carbs at specific periods of time. The example would be before bedtime so that I can get her to sleep at a good number. That's about as low carb as I get for now.

15. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I wonder what the 15 year old thinks of his A1C in the low 5 range...

16. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Inspired by Time Life, I have a best of YDMV on Teens section over at the blog. I probably contradict myself there but I doubt that is a surprise to anyone.

Anyway the first of the series is called What is the Magic A1C. While not about pizza it is about teens and A1C and seeing how I wrote it on Mach 15 nobody can accuse me of drafting it to fit this thread.

Edited to add: My T1 son and I split BBQ Chicken Pizza all the time. We love it. That gets me back on the original topic.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  17. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Mamamia, eating pizza at school on Friday was one thing my DD always looked forward to, even prior to diagnosis. So we made it a family effort to find out how to bolus for it. I posted on my efforts in this process about 18 months ago and got a ton of great advice. Someone linked me to an old MM website where they recomended that high-fat and high-carb foods like pizza respond well to a formula like this: Add 60% of the protein grams as carb and 10% of the fat grams. Then dual-wave/combo this amount over 8 hours! That seemed like a LONG time to me, but it does work well for us.

So now when Emily eats anything high-carb and high-fat like pizza or lasagne, we add about 30% more insulin and do a 70/30 dual-wave over 6 or 8 hours. I choose the 6 hours when she has an empty stomach, and 8 hours when she's eaten recently.

We tried a new pizza joint today for lunch and she actually ended up low about 4 hours in. So if you're experimenting, test often at first!

18. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Very well put

19. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I am sorry I even asked the question in the first place:(

20. shekov

shekov Approved members

don't be sorry!!!
    this is one of those issues that people feel very strongly about and feel comfortable discussing. Your question was a good one that many of us struggle with.

Mama Belle likes this.