- advertisement -

Darn Lithium Batteries

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by M&MMOM, Sep 10, 2009.

1. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

The last 2 times Max's pump batteries have died they have gone from 3 bars to dead overnight! I just started using the Energizer lithium batteries because with CGMS the normal batteries seemed not to last too long.

Last night at bedtime, Max's battery looked fine. This am he checked himself and was 212 (high for him in the am). When I told him to correct, he said his pump was dead. We changed the battery and it had gone dead at 5am. According to his CGMS the last reading was 108 at 5am and by the time we checked at 7am he'd gone up 100 points without any insulin.

It's so dangerous- I can't imagine what he'd have been if it had died shortly after I'd gone to bed. Wanted to pass it along to people who didn't know and get advice from others about what batteries they use? Are any of you using Lithium? Should I just get in the habit of changing the battery weekly/every 2 with the CGMS sensor?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You definitely should NOT use lithium batteries in the MM pump. The battery life indicator is calibrated against regular Energizer batteries, and will not be accurate with others, ESPECIALLY lithium batteries.

It's just not worth it. :(

ETA: We use CGM, and I think our batteries last at least 3 weeks.

3. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

I'm no pump buff, but I do know that issues like that are inherent with lithium batteries. Standard alkaline batteries discharge on a curve (100% 99% 98%...) which is why they do not appear to last very long in modern electronic devices. The device may require a full 1 volt to operate, so as soon as the batteries 1/3 life is used up and the charge drops below 1 volt, the device will read it as dead. Even though there is still 2/3 of remaining charge, the level of discharge is insufficient.

In comes Lithium batteries. They discharge evenly over the life of the battery (100% 100% 100%...) then die suddenly. That is why they appear to last longer in newer electronic devices. Your actually getting use of the full charge, but it is extremely difficult to gauge remaining charge since the level is constant throughout the life of the battery.

A device designed with standard alkalines in mind won't register the reduced current delivery until the end of the batteries life. In the case of a pump, I would probably still use lithiums, but change them on a set schedule. Whatever is still left in the battery can still be used up in other devices.

4. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

Thanks so much. You learn something new EVERY DAY! I had no idea- I thought the first time it happened it was a fluke. I will be going back to the good ol' batteries!

5. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

oh my! thanks for posting. I thought it was a fluke too when it happened to us.
    glad we got the costco pack of batteries for the pump... but there not energizer battieries they're kirkland, wonder how that will work out... my dh says that batteries are made out of 4 different plants in the country...hopefully it'll be a good match.:)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This is exactly why MM recommends you only use the energizer ALKALINE batteries, the others, the E2s and lithiums all die to fast for the early warning in the pump.. once a bar goes they die to fast and without warning.. we have always used regular Alkaline and with the cgms we get 3 or so weeks from one battery.. it depends on how much Kaylee uses the light of her pump for a flashlight LOL.. but it can be on one bar for almost a week before we get a low battery alarm.

7. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

All too true, but then again, you'll probably get in the neighborhood of 40% more life from a lithium. The set back is maintaining a regularly scheduled change out.