- advertisement -

Daddy gets off insulin too!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Monogenic Diabetes' started by MrsSM, May 30, 2011.

1. MrsSM

MrsSM Approved members

Well my DH has started his transition off Insulin and on to Glyburide. He has been having lots of lows but has drastically decreased his insulin to help with that. He used to take 45-50 units of Humalog a day and 22 units of Lantus at night. He is down to 4-8 units of Humalog per day and no Lantus. For a 210lb man that is a really small dose. Hopefully he'll be totally off in 4-5 more days. 34 years on insulin so he's still in awe I think :)

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

That's excellent news! I hope his transition goes smoothly both physically and emotionally.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

That is wonderful news. Just wondering - did Grandad get tested as well? Just curious because he was diagnosed at 21 years.

5. MrsSM

MrsSM Approved members

Grandad did get tested but we haven't heard back yet on those results as of yet.
    My husband is actually have a really hard time physically with the transition. i was wondering if anyone grownups out there have done the switch and had any issues? he is having so many digestive issues. Nausea and vomiting and diarrhea and bloating. He feels like crap. Does anyone have any insight that would help him out?

thx!!

6. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

My son was only 21 months when he transitioned so I can only tell you what we experienced. He had diarrhea off and on for the first 3 years. He only started having more normal stools last year. I know there is an article I read that said some patients have transitory diarrhea that goes away after a few months. Several of us parents have had more extensive digestive problems, but I have made some dietary adjustments that seemed to alleviate the problems. Oddly, Katie has never had any major digestive problems, but she was also never on insulin. Don't know if that makes the difference or not.

7. chris9771

chris9771 New Member

"Daddy off insulin too"

Hello, I am new to this website, however I have been t1 for 26 years. I am amazed by this statement from your statement MrsSM about your husband of "34 years on insulin" now being insulin-free.. how is this possible? I am totally in awe of this and have never heard of a T1 getting of off insulin. I too am on MDI of Lantus and Humalog so to hear of someone getting off of those is jaw-dropping to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction to read more about this and how it is possible?
    Thank you in advance and congrats to your daughter and husband MrsSM!
    -chris

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This particular forum is Parents of Children with monogenic diabetes. The OP's husband was misdiagnosed as Type 1 and had the test done to show he had mongenic diabetes which is treated with pills. (Her daughter had the test done as well.) Here is the background: Here's a little background on this: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...488#post719488

9. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Wow, what incredible news. Congratulations

10. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Not all forms of monogenic diabetes are treated with pills. . .depends on what form and/or what gene is affected (to my limited knowledge of it anyways). I do know that the form we have can only be treated with insulin, and although the INS gene is affected in our case, that there are some forms that affect the INS gene that may be treated with pills.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sorry for the misinformation. In this particular case, the husband was able to reduce his insulin to nothing and take the pill as was the child.