- advertisement -

DAD Questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kazee6, Apr 6, 2011.

1. btyler

btyler Approved members

I have both also.

I also have both the Dexcom (and previously used the Guardian), and now have a DAD also.

I also have no interest in arguing a point, I did not want a dog again in my life, I have had family dogs, 3 children who are grown and really didn't want another thing to take care of. But that is just not the way it has turned out for me. I am a Reactive hypoglycemic with hypoglycemic unawareness and the CGM often just doesn't catch my quick drops, or by the time the alarm happens, it is not accurate and there was a lag in numbers, so I am already low, or even in the floor, or low and ignore the alarm. After a trip to the Mayo Clinic and given no real hope of ever having a life that I do not have BG drops 1 to 10 daily, I started looking for anything to give me some freedom back.

A DAD has been the answer for me. But it is a huge responsibility and in itself is life changing, both positive and what some would call negative.

A trainer comes to us every month or we travel the 5 hours when I am well. He is almost 7 months old and because he has alerted this morning before I get low, I feel great and will be able to drive today!! yes he will be going with me.

I do not mind answering questions on PM or email.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm simply curious as to why no one will publicly state the reputable organizations that they're using or have found. Why is it all PM or email? Personally, if I heard from my reputable sources I think I'd be more than willing to think of DAD in a much different light, but when everyone talks about it in secret people get the impression that there is something to hide.

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I will state this....I am NOT a dog person. I don't like to clean up after them, I don't like to hear them bark, I can't stand wet noses and well, I'm just not a dog person. What I would be willing to do is actually research it a bit more if I KNEW of some of these reputable companies. We talk about CGM companies, the good and the bad, we talk about pump companies why not DAD companies...if it is all about diabetes, why not PUBICALLY put the names of the companies out there? I can't do any research into (any maybe change my mindset) if I don't have the info to do the research. Is ANYONE going to pubically publish the name(s) of some of these reputable DAD companies?

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Yes, this is true.. How can you find out what companies are good or not so good when no one actually gives information? You can do research on your own, but websites can be easily falsified. We talk about strips, lancets, cgms, meters, pumps, the good the bad and the ugly.. why not the D.A.Ds too?

5. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Actually Michelle, about a year ago a few of us spoke about where our DAD came from. Here's the thread - http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=51177&highlight=Pawsibilities

Within the next several months of that thread Chell's DAD (Maggie) came to the point where she didnt want to work at training any more. Every single thing that we did for training, Maggie ignored us. In working with Liz from Pawsibilities Unleashed, and trying every suggestion that she stated, and Maggie still did not want to work. So Liz from Pawsibilities Unleashed flew in another DAD that Chell has been working with since July of 2010. Liz believes in training the owner of the DAD. Liz's program works and I will say it is a lot of hard work!

Emma provides Chell with more then just diabetes alerts, she helps her in other ways too, and will be helping her more in the future as Emma grows and gets older. Right now, Emma is only 11 months old.

I've always been open...you ask the question, I'll answer to the best of my ability. If I dont have the answer, I'll tell you.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ah, you have always been open - I was going to say, and probably should have said, the only place I know is the place you've used. :)

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You have been open.. you've given great information. I hear that Pawsibilities is a great place.

For those seeking more information, or places that are good should be brought to light. If they are doing a good service and aren't screwing people over, then it should be talked about.. that way if someone says, Hey, I'm thinking of getting a dog from XYZ someone will most likely know if that company is a good company or bad one. It only protects the consumer and brings more business to the ones that are good. :cwds:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just curious, did you keep Maggie as a pet?

9. MReinhardt

No, but Liz did say to keep her because she didnt want her back, which is fine. Maggie was not bonded to Chell, and I really did not want three dogs. ( we have a household dog named Pixie) My brother & Maggie bonded right away, so he took her in. Maggie is loving where she is at!

ETA: I believe that bonding needs to be there, for a "Team" to work together.

10. MReinhardt

Here's a picture of Chell & Emma. Emma is about 6 months old. This picture was taken in November 2010. This is one of my favorite photo's of them together.

[​IMG]

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I don't know why anyone would think it's some big mystery about the reputable organizations or the ones that aren't. I've probably mentioned on every DAD thread which organization we worked with plus a few other one's, as well. No one with a DAD has hidden which organization they worked with. We've either been open about it or the one's with DAD's have answered when they were asked.

I think what no one wants is what usually happens to these DAD threads which is we can't give out the information the OP is requesting without being viciously attacked resulting in the thread having to be locked and the OP being run off. It's just so much more peaceful to pm with the person who is the one actually interested in the info.

The reason many of us did not talk about HSP much or publically is because we were in the middle of a trial and were being deposed to testify. Now that the Attorney General has shut them down I'd be more than happy to tell you anything you want to know about that lowdown scammer. (Be warned: she is now in the horse and cattle business so if any of you are dealing in that I would stay far away from Meta and Elizabeth, Mo.)

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm very glad that she found a "forever" home. :cwds:

As a dog person one of my only reservations about the whole DAD business is the welfare of the dogs. Sometimes when people who clearly have no experience living with dogs post about obtaining one they do so as if they were "buying" any old medical device and not a sentient creature who may live 15 years.

13. MReinhardt

Most don't realize but Service Dogs work for 10-15 years. When thinking about a DAD its more then just a few years they would be together..its the "Team" life time together of training & fun. There is more to owning a Service Dog, then just owning a dog.

14. btyler

btyler Approved members

No problem

I have no problem giving the information about where my DAD came from. I am new here and some forums consider that advertising and do not allow it, so I left it off. I do not work for any of the companies listed here.

I also have been on boards where it becomes a question and answer situation that becomes unpleasant and has to be shut down, these were my reasons for telling people who are interested about my experience to just write and ask me.

Sugar came from Warren Retrievers in Richmond VA, he breeds Labs for other scent work also, Homeland security, VA and CA prison systems, and other law enforcement companies. The trainer is Dee Bogetti. You can find plenty of info on the sites linked below.

http://warrenretrievers.com/
    http://www.deethedogtrainer.com/
    http://guardianangelservicedogs.org/

This story is one about my dog Sugar
    http://diabeticalertdogs.blogspot.com/2011/03/sugar-one-great-dog.html

Also Warren Retrievers, Diabetic Alert Dogs, and me, Beverly Yopp Tyler can be found on facebook. I talk about Sugar a lot on there because he is amazing and is with me 24/7. Just let me know on your friend request where we are connected from.
    :) all is well

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

So you don't have diabetes ?

16. btyler

btyler Approved members

I do not, but a messed up pancreas is a messed up pancreas. The diet and info are much the same. Most who have my diagnosis can use just diet to control the disease, then there is 1 in 1000 I am told that have issues with catecholamines overriding the circulating glucose and having severe and frequent drops,that would be me.

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Dietary management of type 1 diabetes consists of matching insulin to carbs, there is no restrictions on specific foods

18. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Wait, I have to put on my "Diabetes Dog Thread" armor.

19. btyler

btyler Approved members

true

You are right, I do have restrictions, and manage sugar, carb, and protein intake, did not mean to mislead, both conditions need constant intake assessment.

20. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

:DFunny! Hold on to your seats - it's gonna be a bumpy ride.