- advertisement -

Dad of Type I kid asking a Type 2 question

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by Illinifan, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

When my son was dx, the emergency room told us that any single blood sugar level over 400 was enough to confirm Type I.

Is there any certain blood sugar level that confirms a Type 2 dx?

2. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Hi Brian,
    Here's the Type 2 diagnosis criteria:

Fasting blood glucose greater than 125 on 2 different occasions

Oral glucose tolerance test shows BG > 200 after 2 hours

Random BG >200 and accompanied by other symptoms

While not listed as a recommendation, a good Endo will also run the antibody tests to confirm the type of Diabetes. I personally know 3 local adults who were diagnosed as Type 2 in their mid-30's and got progressively sicker (one was even a bit chubby!) until finding a new Endo who confirmed they actually had Type 1.

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Blood glucose levels alone are not diagnostic for type 1 vs. type 2.

The presence of autoantibodies are indicative of type 1.

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The criteria for testing for type 1 and type 2 are the same. The symptoms are the same. The difference is later decided more testing for insulin producton and antibodies test. Even type 2 can have blood sugars that high or higher so that would not be the sole criteria. My friend who has type 2 was diagnosed with a blood sugar or 580. He was on insulin in the beginning weeks but gradually switched over to metformin. The numbers do not tell which type. Other tests have to be run to decide the type.

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

But folks can have type 1 without auto-antibodes, right? Also, isn't a c-peptide test a good indicator of the type of D? (Low levels generally indicating type 1, normal or high levels generally indicating type 2.)

6. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

True, if you mean the antibodies have gone away. Levels of antibodies can vary over time in someone with Type 1. So a positive test means Type 1, but a negative test does not mean not Type 1.

7. jstump7697

jstump7697 Approved members

my fasting numbers are usually between 100+145 and since i am a big dude my doctor is ok with that. I am on 50 units of Lantus Insulin 1x nightly as well.

8. Cool_Cuz

Cool_Cuz Approved members

When my mom was diagnosed, her doctor said that if your A1C is over 5.7, it's a confirmation of type two.

Of course, her doctor isn't the best...he didn't give her ANY information after she was diagnosed...she came home from the appointment and didn't even have a glucometer, she didn't know if she was supposed to be watching her carb intake, nothing...=/ Luckily we already had a glucometer just in case (she already had what was called "pre-diabetes", so we had a moniter just to be safe).

9. savannah'smom

savannah'smom Approved members

I was dx'd hypo. at age 13 with bs as low as 38. Later in life around age 22 I was given a fasting glucose tolerant test. I had bs up too 204, they then dx'd me as type 2. I am controlling by diet as of right now. I dont know if this will help you, but hopefully.

10. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

Our ER doctor said any single random BG level over 200 was a positive diagnosis of diabetes. He didn't distinguish between type 1 and type 2, I suppose because it was clear that my skinny 12yo was sure to be type 1.