- advertisement -

D has made me a fighter *vent*

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Melancholywings, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

So DD's 1 year D-versery is this weekend. We're going to surprise her with a trip to Wild Waves, it's a local theme/water park we've never been to. They don't allow outside food, drinks or coolers. I've called them in advance and the guy said security should let me through with her food supplies if I explain it to them at the enterance, but he didn't know about the cooler for the insulin. They have a strict 'No cooler' policy. And he suggested leaving it in the car which is a no-go for me. We had to do a pod change at another water park last week so I'm betting on having to do it again.

I could use her lunchbox as a cooler, and pray that the smaller size will get it through security. But I really hate that we can't just go to the park and enjoy ourselves - or heck go anywhere to enjoy ourselves. I feel like I have to be constantly ready for a fight to ensure we can have our supplies with us. I hate it. And I hate not knowing if it's going to be a problem or not. I feel like i'm living in a constant state of 'ready to kick some butt for my kid'

2. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

I recommend getting a Frio pouch. It'll keep the insulin cool, but looks like a wallet, so it should get through security just fine. Unfortunately, I don't know where you could buy one other than on the internet!

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Honestly, I feel like this in many situations, diabetes just kicks it up a few notches. It's just one big CYA world, and I get sick to death of people who can't use common sense and business owners who don't respect their people enough to give them the authority to o.k. a stupid cooler for medical supplies.

Sad thing is, if they let you in with the cooler you know they'll get people whining -- why does she get to have one when I don't -- like little jr. high kids. They'll probably deny you a cooler so they don't have to stand up and tell other customers to mind their own business. . . .ugh.

So, there ya go, I feel for you. . .

4. Diana

Diana Approved members

Let us know how it goes. My sons want to go there, but honestly it has such a bad reputation for being accommodating that I haven't tried it yet.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I'm sure, when they hear 'cooler" they are thinking of the big Igloo coolers people use when camping or going on a picnic. I don't think you would have any problem bringing in a small insulated bag with an ice pack in it. They just don't want you bringing in a big cooler full of drinks!

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We went to Wild Waves just a few weeks ago, and had no problem. I had a backpack full of snacks with me. I told the folks at security that my daughter has diabetes and they let it in without another word. We used a Frio pouch for insulin, and just left it in a locker for the day along with all of our other stuff - no problem. If there had been a lunch pack with an ice-it and insulin in the backpack, I'm sure that would have been fine, too (though I trust the Frio more than an ice-it to keep it cool all day). If you don't have a Frio, maybe you can leave insulin in a fridge at the first aid station?

Have fun!

7. carcha

carcha Approved members

My family takes an annual trip to a water park in PA every year. This summer, our first with diabetes, I emailed customer relations at the park and told them what we would need to bring with us into the park this year and asked how we would go about making sure this wouldn't be a problem. I got a reply from customer relations saying that I should bring what I need and it would be ok. I brought this email with me, and when the bag-checking employee at the gate started giving me a hard time, I whipped out the email and got through without another word. Might be worth a try - good luck and have a fun day!

8. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Have fun at the park (sorry your weather isn't going to be great). We live about 3 minutes from there! Just carry everything in a backpack, put the insulin in a small pouch and tell them it's medical supplies and that will be it. Another option is to pack a great lunch in a big cooler and leave it all in the car with the insulin and have a tailgate picnic - If you have to do a pod change just do it out there - you just get a stamp on the way out and you can come and go as you please. The parking lot is VERY close to the water entrance.

Have a great time.

9. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Yes, we had to add "Advocate" to our title when our kid(s) was dx.

The water park we went to wouldn't allow coolers, so we took the insulin to the first aid center, labeled of course. They kindly stored it, had a fridge and then I knew his hands were truly clean before testing etc. Even had a sharps for us to use! We sat near the first aid center to make it easy.

We use an old lunch box, which is insulated with a little cold pack. I've heard of the Frios and that they are awesome. I may invest one day.

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Frio pouches are awesome. Love them. I recommend starting with ICE water, since it retains coolness, but doesn't cool on its own, like a refrigerator.

Here's a link.

http://www.frio.com.cn/english/3.asp.

Honestly, a lunch box with some ice packs shouldn't constitute a "cooler" so I think you should be fine. Take it from me -- there will be many, many D battles ahead. If you're bringing in a small lunch box, this doesn't sound like it will be a battle. :cwds:

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I think that the real problem isn't the water park...but everything else. I know what you mean. I've begun to realize how different things will be for Isaac just in terms of what he will be able to do safely without a lot of additional work - like zoo camp, overnight sleep overs, going to the water park. It all takes more, but the reward of figuring it out is going to be priceless for your daughter and your family. I am sure you'll see that it works out as I've been amazed at how many people step up to be helpful and caring in times of need and how incredible most of mankind is in terms of wanting what is best for another human being. I'd plan for the worst but expect the best.
    Hope it turns out perfect.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think having this dx creates an interesting dynamic for parents and our CWDs. It certainly does for me.

On the one hand, I want it to be "easy", I want us to be able to enter the park with whatever we need without a hassle. So I tend to call ahead to figure out what the rules are, etc., find out if we need to be an "exception", or if there is some adjustment we can make to have it be "easy."

On the other hand, I feel that I must be ready -- at all times -- to assert my child's right to have what they need, when they need it, readily available. I feel a real need to model for DD an appropriate way to respectfully, but firmly, assert those rights. I am not always successful in that.:eek:

Sometimes the latter "always be on the alert" feeling can make me resent any "rule" that I learn of in advance (even though I've called ahead specifically to find out what the "rules" are). Other times, the rules don't really bother me and I don't feel that I'm compromising anything in order to comply with it and make things easier.

I find it can be difficult to strike the right balance...