- advertisement -

D-friendly food discoveries

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Jan 31, 2015.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Was about to append this to my Pancakes thread and thought I'd make a new one. We have two new food discoveries this week that I thought worth sharing. Please feel free to append! Anything that improves BGs (or at least doesn't destroy them) while helping our kids not to feel deprived.

First, Chobani now makes yogurt tubes! (Maybe they have forever but I hadn't seen them in our grocery store). My son won't eat yogurt out of anything but a tube. Only 7g CHO and a whopping 5g protein.

Also he saw these delicate waffle cookies at the store called pizzella - 19g for SIX which means a sandwich of 2 with a big dollop of whipped cream from the can is only 7g.

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Pizzelle's for SURE! Look around at brands, we found one that was 7g for 4 cookies! They are tons of protein too - as they are mainly egg white!

3. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Thank you, I didn't know Chobani makes the tubes; we have used the Gogurt ones in the past. I will look for these. Pizzeles are great with a little whipped cream, I haven't bought them in awhile and they are a good after school snack.

5. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We've been trying to find 15g snacks (ones we don't have to cover mid-morning and afternoon) esp. when we're on the go. My son misses his granola bars, but we found a healthy alternative. FiberOne 90 calorie bars have 17g carbs, but 5g of fiber making it only 12 g net. He likes the chocolate flavor. Expensive at the grocery store, but Amazon Mom has them for subscribe/save at $11 for 30 bars.

Also, to encourage him to drink when he has ketones we found TrueLime BlackCherry Limeade mix. It has no artificial sweeteners, just made with Stevia. He drinks it up....free 0g drink without all the aspartame, splenda, etc. They also make the travel tubes like Crystal Light.

Yogurt wise the Dannon Light and Fit Carb Control (diff from reg. Light and Fit) had a very small amount of carbs. He doesn't like it very much though.

Overall, it seems that controlling portions and then increasing the low carb/0 carbs stuff on the side has been our best option. We've been experimenting but almond flour/coconut flour gives things such a different texture.

Oh, one of our best finds are the Beanitos chips.....really good taste and lots of fiber. Expensive though!

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Check out Power Crunch bars. They are ridiculously expensive (like $1.50 each and I have not been able to find them cheaper, even online) but my son loves them. They are like lady fingers. Made with Stevia, lots of protein, only 9g net carbs.

I personally find Stevia disgusting. Ironically, it has a very bitter aftertaste for me, and tastes MORE chemical-y! I even tried the extract that comes with a medicine dropper to make a low-cal margarita (don't judge!) and even with two drops in a 16 oz. drink I thought it tasted terrible.

We buy the 0 cal lemonade and grape drink, and the sugar-free popsicles, made with aspartame. I have decided I can live with that, even though prior to diabetes I did not let my children have it.

7. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

I've read about the Stevia metallic type aftertaste, but I can't taste it in that one drink. Bought some packets of TruVia (just Stevia w/o added sweeteners) to try in baked goods. We will see! ;)

I will have to look for the Power crunch bars!

Wish there was a sticky note post on this topic. It would be so helpful to have an ongoing source of good D food finds. I have baked and cooked for a long time (starting with food service/restaurant/deli jobs to get extra money through high school/college)........so I thought I could nail a black bean avocado recipe for brownies. Oh my, no, no. It was 5/10......but honestly, I'd just rather treat the children to regular brownies for one serving and toss the rest vs. make those again!

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I'm going to have to check out the pizelles, I know I've seen them before somewhere. We like the Anna's swedish cookies, they are around 3 carbs each.

We do sugar free popsicles too. Its nice to have them around so that she can still feel like she's having a treat even if its been a crazy day for numbers.

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

10. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Those look yummy, thanks for posting, I will look for them. I did find the Chobani tubes and he loves the banana one.

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

And they're GF! Thanks for the tip!

For those looking for under-15 snack bars, one of our go-tos in our early T1 days, when we could offer dd free snacks and when we were unencumbered by celiac, was the Skinny Cow peanut butter and chocolate bar. I get a little nostalgic when I see them at Target:
    https://www.skinnycow.com/products/detail.aspx?id=32

12. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

My son loves all of the atkins bars, they are super pricey, but I feel since he cannot just graze on anything with injecting at this point what the heck. We also love skinny cow ice cream products for evening.

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The problem with the Skinny Cow stuff is it's so good that I eat it! :)