- advertisement -

CWD Forums Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Jan 2, 2014.

1. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I have to post just to try out the emoticons: :cwds::drool:

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

:eek:ups::catchu:

not sure what the minions are meant to represent, but I'm cool with them. Though, rolleyes still needs to be fixed.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I must need glasses because they all look microscopic to me. I know I'll eventually stick my tongue out at someone though intending to send a smile.... (insert rollie here)
    :p:sleeping::confused:

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Actually the smilies are yuck ( except the minions) : so facebookish.. bring back the old ones :)

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

It's not just you ... I have to mouse over to see what the intent was. :confused: :drool:

The last one was :drool: ... I'm not seeing using that one any time soon ... here.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

:beaten:

what the heck? beaten? I don't see us using that much. That's a hand with a boxing glove punching a smiley. I thought it was a red cloud next to a smiley.

Bring back the old ones, these are silly.

*but leave the minions.

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Not sure if this was suggested - is there an interest in a forum on APPS?

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think it goes back to my original comment; we can have 200 forums, but if no one is moving threads into those forums, and no one is encouraging people to post in the right places, then the threads just end up being posted in whatever forum gets the most traffic. My worry would be that (using your example) someone posts in an APP forum, "hey, any good carb counting apps right now?" And that post never gets a view or reply. That's what happens quite often now. I don't know if the over all forum gets enough traffic anymore to support that many forums. In the early days, you'd find threads on the parents forum moving off the front page in a few hours. Now it takes days and days.

Just my opinions on it. :)

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ditto to what Mish said. There are way too many forums and no one moving threads to their proper forums. My first choice would be to cut the number of forums by 80%. My second choice would be to leave all 58 forums and have moderators move the threads to where they belong. But even then, Jeff should axe some forums. Many of them are a total wasteland.

10. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'm going to consolidate forums this week (hopefully). The admin tool allows me to move an entire forum's messages to another, and then I can turn off the orphan forums.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Jeff,
    Can you please look and see if there are better emoticons? These are just awful. I wouldn't mention it, but there's no faster way to make for miscommunication on a forum than confusing signifiers and these are just lousy :eek:

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Can you bring back the old ones??

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

A few things I've notice and figured I'm mention since they all make the new format less user-friendly.

1. Still cannot edit a comment once a subsequent comment is posted. Is this intended?

2. Emoticons are so bad as to be unusable

3. Somethings off with the "search" capacity in the forums. It does not return accurate search results at all.

4. The member's post history listing isn't chronological, it seems almost to be random.

14. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

New emoticons added. I'm willing to add more if someone finds a collection they think are good and which are free to use.

Will investigate searching and post history.

Editing of comments after others have been edited is intentionally disallowed. You can't change history.

15. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I believe that all of the old emoticons are now here.

16. swellman

I thought you changed a setting to allow us 1 day?

17. swellman

I went back to my PMs and Jeff said he set the time limit to edit a post to 1 day. Did it disappear?

18. Mish

Mish Approved members

we're going to need a Tardis if we don't have an edit button.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

With all due respect, I can't see the point of 80% of those emoticons. Have you looked at them?

Emoticons help us communicate better in the dry, dusty landscape of the internet, but those are useless. If you want the forums to thrive, little things like that matter.

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

One more request when you get around to doing some housekeeping on the forums. I was wondering if you could add in the link to the online mmol to mg/dl converter - maybe place it somewhere in the tool bar area where you've got What's New?| Forum| Blogs
    I find I"m always looking for it. Seems we have more people using mmol on the forum that ever before.
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/converter.htm