- advertisement -

CWD Forums Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Actually now I see in the general forum that only a few titles are in bold. Why are some in bold and some are not?

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

If you've read the entire contents of the thread, the title is not bold. If there are new unread posts, the title is bold.

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Exactly. I think the bold is to highlight content that is new to you.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When I look at the forum on my I-phone, the title to the thread is very small. On the PC, it looks fine.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'd still like to see some reorganization of the forum lists. Some of the most helpful forums (cgm / pumps) are way down at the bottom and are hardly visited, so their threads get lumped in with the parent's topics. Instead we have a page full of filler forums that almost never get any action.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd like to see that as well.

Also, has anyone figured out how to edit a post once there are additional posts following the one you wish to edit? I see the "edit" option that Mish pointed out, but only when the post is new and the latest in the thread. Once a subsequent comment follows, that edit option seems to vanish. What am I missing?

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

That's new. I seem to remember that Jeff had to address that previously or something similar. Perhaps it was the thread title editing.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

oh you're right! Can't go back and change history now. ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Or my lousy spelling :eek:

10. swellman

... or mistakes ... we all make them. I'm not entirely happy about a perma-QFT. :eek:

EDIT: God, I hate the new emoticons.

EDIT 2: I've decided I want Despicable Me Minion Emoticons.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  11. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I can add emoticons ... Minions would be my choice. Need to find them!

I'm very open to changing the order of forums. Suggestions here please.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

minions would be sweet.

As for reorganization, if no one is moving posts to their proper forums, then the proper forums will never be used. So I think you've got to decide if you want less forums in total, but those forums act as catch alls much like the "Parents" area does now, of if you've got the manpower to properly moderate by moving posts where they belong, you can have more forums. But it's useless to have so many empty forums that have no posts. I know a lot of people use the "what's new' feature, so they often catch a random post made in an empty forum, but not everyone uses that function. I often feel bad when one lonely post sits in a forum all by itself and no one notices it. I would also encourage use of tags which greatly help with the search function (speaking of search, on google chrome it's completely fubared in the formatting)

I'd probably shoot for 3 main sections rather than the 7 you have now and I'd pare down the forums quite extensively. A forum like "insulin" gets almost no use and easily falls under the topic of "people with type 1". Same for many other forums like Insurance. They're just not being used and their toipcs are often relevant to all. It would also bring the highly used CGM and Pump forums up as subforums. Since it seems like those are topics which get asked about quite a lot, it makes sense that they stay as their own forums, but they need to be more visible.

(bullet items are forums, numbered items are sub-forums)

People With Diabetes
    • Introductions
    • People with Type 1 (parents, caregivers, adults) General topics
      1. Stickies
      2. Insulin Pumps
      3. Continuous Glucose Sensing
      4. Celiac
      5. School & Day Care
    • Teens
      1. Teens OT
    • Kids
    • Other forms of Diabetes (type 2, mody, monogenic)
    • All the Around the World
      1. Australia
      2. Canada
      3. Europe
      4. New Zealand
      5. UK
      6. UK Teens
      7. Scandinavia
      8. The Middle East
    Diabetes in Action
    • Research
    • Advocacy
    • Surveys & Studies
    • Recalls
    • Friends for Life
    Off Topic Area
    • Off Topic
    • Hot Topics

Just my opinions. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think Mish's suggestions look great. WAY too many forums + no moderators moving threads to the "correct" forum = a wasteland of never-used forums. I'd probably add a sort of "catch-all" forum under the People with Type 1 header in Mish's list to cover topics like diet and exercise and other random stuff that doesn't fall neatly into the other forum categories, but otherwise I think it looks great.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

I was thinking that the "people with type 1- general topics" would be the catch all forum, with the others as sub-forums. Anything that isn't a major topic (like pumping/cgm/celiac/school) can easily go into that one catch all area, sort of like it does now, with the main parents forum. I was trying to keep sub-forums to forums that actually do generate enough of their own topics that they really need to stay by themselves.

In the list below, the ones with the bullets are forums, the ones with the numbers are sub-forums.

Also, editing seems to be on a time function, as I was able to edit my post above, even though there had been responses. If so, I'd suggest maybe something like a 7 day edit, not just a few hours.

15. swellman

I exclusively use "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" or "What's New" so just one forum is OK with me.

Just sayin'

16. Deal

Deal Approved members

Jeff, in case it hasn't been noticed. The forum favicon has changed to what I think is just some default graphic. The old forum had a custom favicon that represented the site well.

17. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I added a bunch of new icons.:eek:ups:

18. Deal

Deal Approved members

Also, I get the following error when using the Search feature:

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 21

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Old favicon.ico file has been uploaded to new forum host. Not sure when it will begin to appear, but it's there.

20. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Hm ... I shall investigate.

Found solution. Code tweaked and fixed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014