- advertisement -

CWD Forums Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

On Thursday, January 2, 2014, the CWD Forums were upgraded to a much newer version of our forum software (vBulletin). Over the next couple days, I'll be tweaking the layout to add the CWD logo and add back in some content that was removed during the upgrade, including ads (very helpful in paying our bills!).

There are many new features, including news articles and blogs for every user, as well as very strong Facebook integration.

Please share your thoughts on the upgrade here.

Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Quick question regarding the FB integration.

If a member, and I assume only members can do this, links a thread to FB, is the entire thread then visible to all their friends (or if they have an open FB, to the public) including all comments that follow the OP?

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

It looks nice on the tablet, and I like the "activity stream" option. Good (long overdue) update. Thanks.

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I honestly don't know the full details of Facebook integration. I'm just starting to play with the new features, and I will get to the Facebook part soon.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think the facebook integration just posts a link back to your facebook wall and indicates that you "liked" this. It doesn't do anything but posts a link. That post on your wall is handled with your already existing 3rd party privacy settings. :)

I don't think the ability to log in with your facebook credentials is activated though. At least I don't see it.

On the other hand, there seems to be no way to "unlike" the thread once you've liked it. edit: Oh hover over it and it turns to unlike.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Mish, how did you edit your post? I can't work that out :rolleyes: (but I did find the eyeroller ;-))

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

there should be an "edit post" in the grey bar under your post (in the same like with "reply" "reply with quote".

Also, it looks like the facebook integration is available - if you click the Facebook link. Though I'm not willing to test it myself...

(clicking the link doesn't do anything at the moment, I tested it anyway LOL)

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

One more note -- I increased the Private Message count to 500 for registered users.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

But we still don't get nesting quotes? Bah!

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

that was one of the first things I tried, and immediately thought of you. LOL

11. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Nesting quotes?

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

Yes, like I just manually did above. I'm not sure many would know how to do that.

13. swellman

Like this but all you do is hit the "Reply With Quote" button and it automatically grabs ALL of the previous post including the posts they quoted. It really helps to add context and clarification to a single post. It really can help avoid confusion and erroneous interpretation.

I've never played with vBulletin but a quick Google turned this up" http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...troubleshooting/316193-nested-quotes-in-posts

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  14. Mish

Mish Approved members

It looks like Jeff is running VB 4.2.2 - which still doesn't include it as a feature. The only way to get it is through a 3rd party mod/hack and the problem is that you really never know what you're going to get.

15. swellman

The link I posted looked like it was a simple plugin and if it didn't work simple to disable it.

The problem, to me, would be remembering to reinstall it if an update wiped it.

Besides, it's standard behavior for Private Messages.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

preaching to the choir. ;)

(that hideous smily is a 'wink' btw) :rolleyes:

17. swellman

That's awful ...

It's bad when you have to mouse over to see what the emoticon is supposed to be.

You Roll Eyes (sarcastic) is worse.

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

d

The thread titles don't stand out like they used to because the title is the same font as the 2nd line.

Instead of:Type1 Diabetes Kilimanjaro Expedition
    Started by Ellen, 11-29-2013 10:51 AM

Can we go back to:

Type1 Diabetes Kilimanjaro Expedition
    Started by Ellen, 11-29-2013 10:51 AM

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'll look into the style editor and should be able to emphasize the thread titles.

Darryl, quick question -- where are you seeing that? It looks to me that bold vs. non-bold titles have something to do with the state of the discussion thread itself.

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Looks like you fixed it Jeff. Here's a screenshot showing that the sticky thread titles are still not in bold, but that's fine. It's helpful to have the active thread titles in bold. picture001.jpg