- advertisement -

CVS says they can't get our syringes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anyelday, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

CVS told my husband they can't order BD ultra-fine needle 1/2 unit syringes. I was a little shocked. They can get the 1 unit but not the half? They basically told us to find a new pharmacy. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. coeen

coeen Approved members

I don't use them anymore but when we did CVS always got them for us.
    I would push the issue with them. Is there another CVS you can go too?
    Maybe the have a better pharmacy staff that will work with you.

3. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

CVS told us the same thing. However, our endo gave us a few... but they don't last that long, lol.

But yeah. Same problem. CVS won't get them. It's not just you.

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

We're in another state, of course, but our CVS was able to order 1/2 unit syringes with no problem. :confused:

Christine

5. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

They are CVS for crying out loud...not a mom and pop pharmacy. I bet a mom and pop would actual figure out how to get them for us...nothing like being a number at these big box stores. I don't understand how they have access to one type of needle but not another of the same brand. We have been getting them from the pharmacy at our hospital which is a little out of the way and even they got the order wrong twice and looked at my husband funny. They are a children's hospital...we can't be the only people using 1/2 unit syringes. Hopefully we will be pumping soon and won't need too many needles.

OK vent over

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We don't use syringes much anymore, only in an emergency. But when we were going away last month, I needed to get some syringes because we were planning on using Lantus instead of the POD. I didn't have a current prescription for syringes but you can get them without. I brought the 1/2 unit syringe to Rite Aid to show them the type. They said they no longer have them and gave me the regular whole units. It wasn't a huge deal for us since Hana is 12 and the half units aren't so important to us anymore. But I was curious about that too.

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

We always used to get ours from Walmart. Our pharmacy plan required CVS and had a co-pay, but just paying out of pocket at Walmart a box was $12. I'd shop around, but that sounds crazy that they can't get them.

8. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Our CVS wouldn't order the small ones; we switched to Walgreens and they have had no problems!

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yep, all of the 30 unit syringes at walmart have half unit markings, 31g just like BG, and they're $12 and change :) Unless you are in a state where syringe sales are restricted (there are only a couple if I recall correctly) you can just ask for them at the pharmacy counter.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That stinks. Our cvs always ordered for us. How about switching pharmacies or going mail order?

11. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

Don't feel bad. The CVS here where I live can't order them either. I was actually shocked when they first told me that they didn't have them. I always thought that if they didn't have them in stock, they'd have some sort of way to get them. Even the nurse at Childrens Hospital said that there's no reason they shouldn't have them. We've just been eyeballing half and quarter measurements using our full unit syringes, and it's NOT easy! Our copay for two boxes of 100 is $30. I'm wondering how many syringes come in a box from Walmart. If they're really cheaper, I'm more inclined to just get them from there instead.

12. reaganrocks

reaganrocks Approved members

I had the same problem with our CVS. I was so mad they could not order the ones we needed...even after i looked up the product number. We were able to get them from Caremark with no problem. It was much easier too...just ordered them on line and were mailed a 90 day supply. Good luck.

13. Ali

Ali Approved members

I agree, insane...but it is big business and if they do not have a contract it can be an issue, at least from their view. FWIW I used that type of syringe as an adult many years ago and I too have trouble believing that the cost to the pharmacy of ordering that type of syringes even box by box is more than a few cents, I too think that the staff are just uneducated in how to work with the system.:cwds::cwds::cwds::pali Crazy!

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

Pretty lame for a big chain. Let them know you're taking your business elsewhere..

15. Traci

Traci Approved members

The boxes from walmart are 100 count. For us it was cheaper to pay OOP ($12 per box) than to use co-pay.

16. Traci

Traci Approved members

Kinda OT, but we also use Unisolve and IV Prep with ds's pump. All the large pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.) wanted almost a dollar per wipe (almost $50 per box). I called around and found a local place that sells me boxes of 50 count for less than $20 each! It's crazy!

17. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Oh I get so angry when I read that garbage. THAT is the reason I moved all of our prescriptions from Walgreens to CVS and then back to a different Walgreens. The 1st Walgreen's kept saying they didn't have them in stock and would just fill the script with their brand so I left. Went to CVS and then they quit ordering them for us. We moved to Ohio and our small town Walgreen's here is awesome. Even things they didn't think they could get they would work hard at ordering and low and behold they would get it. The only thing they said they couldn't get were the blood ketone strips but I didn't push it so perhaps they really can. I'm planning to get the number for them and ask them to try to order them.

They CAN order them, they choose not to so that you will buy their brand. We tried them and my daughter thought they seemed more dull and refused to use them. I think the choosing not to order is on a store by store decision.

18. Wendy140

Wendy140 New Member

I just wanted to add...after much persistance and explaination that 1/2 units were asbsolutely a requirement....Our CVS was able to get them from their supplier! I was told initially they couldn't! At that point, being newly diagnosed and having a ton of other script errors...I was practicly in tears with the poor woman, who said she would make some phone calls the next day...and well yes they could get them...

I would ask to speak to the Pharmacy manager and explain that it medically necessary and is there anyway they could check with their suppliers!!!

They can get them..it just might take some pleading and some phone calls!! Sorry you have to go thru the hassle of it though...Like you didnt have enough already right!?!?

19. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

Not sure about CVS since we use Walgreens but I know when I first got my daughter's rx for syringes filled the pharmacist said she had never even SEEN 1/2 unit syringes. I had to go home and research NDC codes to call her to tell her which ones to order. Part of the problem was the BD recently changed from 8mm to 6mm needle length so the NDC I had originally given the pharmacist said it wasn't available to be ordered. I just went on the BD website and all the different sizes are listed with the NDC code and she was able to pull it up in their system that way and order them from their warehouse (or maybe the wholesaler) and they were there the next day. I used to be a Pharmacy Tech for Walgreens so it was less of an issue for me since I knew what she needed and where to find it and when you know what they are CAPABLE of doing and make it known that you know that they are able to do things like that makes it a bit easier too. It's a bit assholish of me, but I am not above saying "I was a tech for X years, I need you to do this please." Of course I'm polite and make sure to thank the pharmacist and the techs repeatedly when they do actually do what I ask, but if you don't know what to ask and whether or not it's possible or allowed it's easier for them to say "Sorry, I can't" because they just don't want to because they're busy, etc.

If you want to be more likely to catch them at a slower time when they might be more likely to do more for you, try going around 2pm and AVOID the 1st-3rd of the month, Monday mornings and Wednesdays, or the day after any days the pharmacy is closed. I know it's not always possible, especially if you're down to only a few days of supplies/meds and they have to order something, but you're much more likely to get more care during those off-peak times.

EDIT: OH, if anyone is interested here is the info for the new BD short needle syringes. The pharmacy will need the NDC code, which I've highlighted, these are the 31 gauge 30 unit syringes with 1/2 unit markings:
    BD Insulin Syringe with the BD Ultra-Fine™ 6mm Needle
    with Half-Unit Scale
    3/10 mL 6 mm (15/64”) x 31 G
    BD Catalog #: 324910
    BD NDC/HRI #: 08290-3249-10

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

thanks so much for the info! will need to get my hands on these.