- advertisement -

Curse Captain Crunch!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Usually we're not a sugary cereal kind of family. I get Apple Cherrios and Honey Nut Cherrios and no one complains. Then DH goes to the store and sees Captain Crunch is on sale.

So I start giving DS one bowl every other day as a treat and to make it last a little longer. Well, wouldn't you believe, every other day, ALL DAY, his sugars are up. Cherrio days - he's in the 90-110 snack, lunch and dinner. Captain Crunch days - he's in the 220-310 snack, lunch AND dinner. I'm like, what the heck! Even with correction, it just keeps him hovering up there.

Anyone else come across this, and a solution other than no more Captain Crunch? I have no problem not buying it anymore, but while it's in the house (DH bought 6 boxes!) I don't want to be waving it in his face.

TIA, Charmed

2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Is it the kind with berries in it? I don't have any problems with Cap'n Crunch without berries or the peanut butter, but the berries make my BGs go CRAZY!

3. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

LOL - you post title made me laugh!

Kathy LOVES Crunch Berries! She hasn't had it in a while, so I don't know if it would spike or not. She's been all over the place since having the flu over the weekend, so even her normal non-sugary breakfasts are giving her spikes.

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Strange for us . . . we have no issues

5. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Craziness! We don't eat cereal as a rule, as it spikes DD to the sky. Not all day though--unless she's sneaking a handfull here and there throught the day.:rolleyes:

Maybe DH can get an equally "fun" cereal that doesn't spike him all day next time he goes to the store?

6. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Maybe do a different I:C ratio for the days he is going to have captain crunch.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That's funny, I was cursing cheerios this morning because to stop my BG from spiking post-prandial I have to overbolus and then eat lunch exactly 2.5 hours after breakfast to stop myself from plummetting. It didn't work. I was in the 90s before lunch, ate, bolused, 10 minutes later 50 and then 46. :eek: Looks like completely the opposite problem. :rolleyes:

8. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

What kind of milk are you using?

Jason would live off Apple Jacks if I let him. When he eats them dry...its spike-ville, but with whole milk...nothing. Maybe the fat in the milk keeps the spikes away? Just guessing!

9. Charmed7

He does Vanilla soy milk for everything. Different brands don't seem to affect his sugars either. Just bolus for the number of carbs in a cup.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Maybe you will have the weigh it out, possibly more carbs in that 1 cup then other 1 cup cereals???

Is it possible that a low and then a rebound is happeneing with this???

Can you do 1/2 crunch and 1/2 cheerios?

11. Charmed7

Oh no, we're dedicated salter scale freaks. Plus, a wrong bolus would be fixed by AM snack time. This is a hovering high all day. I almost feel like I should give him more lantus the night before he eats this cereal.

I'm not going to sweat it that much. Once the cereal is gone, we probably won't buy it again for a long time. It was a weird process. One day, good numbers, one day, bad numbers, good numbers, bad numbers, good, bad...ummm, OMG it's that stupid cereal!

:D