- advertisement -

Curious of how many homeschoolers on here

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaLibby, Feb 29, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Just wondering how many home schoolers we have out there! We've been home schooling since day 1 and LOVE it. I can't picture my kids in public school...I knew I probably wanted to homeschool even before my kids had medical issues, but that's just one more reason I'm glad we do.
    We're mostly unschoolers, with some waldorf and charlotte mason thrown in there. we basically do a lot of living and not a lot of schooling. We have books coming out of our ears (when my husband (then boyfriend)and I first moved in together, I cried, because we had books and art supplies, but no furniture :eek:). We have all kinds of art supplies around, daddy and I are both musical (he plays guitar and drums, I play piano) and we have some math workbooks, coloring books and basic foreign language cards lying around. but mostly...the kids just learn on their own, or I learn with them what they're interested in. Like when Ella was 6 she decided she wanted to learn sign language...so she and I are almost-fluent in ASL 4 years later :) We're also a part of a weekly co-op that involves a lot of play, physical activity, and blowing things up ;)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Us! We're on year 10 here, so in for the long haul as well. We are eclectic/classical bent homeschoolers but with a strong Charlotte Mason influence. Well..we WERE. Now, with high school kids we have to be a bit more rigorous, my son in particular goes to a homeschool academy once per week and has a pretty heavy load related to that, taking things like rhetoric, physics, SAT prep, etc. So the days of snuggling on the couch with a book are long over. I miss those days...so ENJOY them! Still happy to be homeschooling and no plans to change, but things do morph and change and become less warm and fuzzy and fun and more, schoolish.

3. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

I homeschool my boys. Have ever since the beginning, and my oldest is now in 9th grade. I'm a diabetic mom; it has its challenges.

4. MamaLibby

Good for you! Ah...I so love this time of snuggling on the couch with a stack of books. er, I would if my little ones would sit still long enough for me to read to them ;) I can't believe my oldest is 10 already!

5. cynth873

cynth873 Approved members

We homeschool. This is my 12th year. We have done everything from unschooling and eclectic to classical to cyber schooling. Right now, my oldest is in college, two of my boys are in cyber school and my youngest is unschooling. We love it :)

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Home schooled kid here (different from home school-er ask your kids;) my moms been home schooling for some ten odd years, I'm in 11th grade. We use text books mostly, my mom used to write curriculum for us, but it was to much work (were very busy people) we also go to a coop once a week that we love. a very artsy family we are=)

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Hooray, for you all!

I could not do it. Would not even know where to start! My parents were very detached from my schooling and I think that made a big difference. Really wish I had the skill to do it.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Skill is not needed, just a desire to do so. Start young and learn with them. If you want to homeschool you are perfectly prepared to do so. I'm always happy to talk homeschooling and would willing to help if that's something you'd like. The only skill that is required is a desire to do it.

Not pressuring, just responding to your reply, I respect all educational choices and know that not everyone wants to or can homeschool. But anyone who does want to, CAN!

You start with a few subjects and grow from there. You start with what they love, some good books to read, and a desire to be with your kids. There are SO many resources out there now that it truly isn't hard. It takes some organization and some sacrifice, definitely, but it does not take any certain "skill".

PM me if you want to know more. I'm a curriculum junkie and homeschooling is one of my favorite subjects.

9. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

We homeschool and are in our 21st year. All of our kids have been homeschooled right from kindergarten. The three oldest have graduated and now have full-time jobs. We used textbooks with the oldest three. Alison uses some textbooks, but we're beginning to work on more practical life skills since she has "special needs".

10. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

We're homeschoolers here. My kids are little so we haven't been at it for very long, but we love it. I create my own curriculum.

11. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

We've been homeschooling for 13 years now.

12. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

I'm finishing up my 20th year as a homeschool mom.

We have homeschooled them all all the way. The oldest is in grad school. #2 is a senior in college. #3 is a senior in high school, and #4 (the one with D) is in 10th.

I love homeschooling and have very mixed emotions about being near the end of my homeschool journey. But God is good. Now I will go on to my next adventure!

BTW, for anyone considering homeschooling -- homeschool moms aren't more patient or more academic or more organized than anyone else. If you want to homeschool, you are fully qualified to homeschool!

13. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Never thought I'd put my kids in school -- public or private. But then I never counted on living in Tokyo either...so after homeschooling the oldest for 3 years, we put all the girls in a Montessori School. The eldest graduated from 6th grade last year and is homeschooling for 7th grade. It's so much easier to start in the beginning and never put them in school in the first place. But with no support group here and no friends, the only way we could connect, apart from church, was to put them in school.

The 10 year old doesn't want to homeschool for 6th grade even though we'll be back in the U.S. this summer. I don't think I can do highschool. We'll see.

14. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I have considered home schooling my type1 son. The others love going to school. Mybson just has such big BG swings at school that I don't see at home. My fear is him loosing his friends.

15. MamaLibby

I never thought my kids would be in school either...Ella is 10 and in about a 4th-6th grade level...we may consider private school for middle or high school, but we'll see.
    that's so cool about living in tokyo!!

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle goes to a traditional school so take this with a grain of salt, but I think taking your child out of school solely based on diabetes is a mistake on many levels. I think a better use of your time would be to really explore why your son is having such big bg swings at school and getting those evened out. There are probably some manageable reasons for the swings that you can figure out. Off the top of my head I can think of several: Dawn Phenomena, exercise induced lows, breakfast/lunch ratio issues, etc.

17. MamaLibby

I was thinking the same thing as Christopher...It's fine, wonderful, great if you want to homeschool. But doing so purely because of diabetes seems like a bad idea...Is your son struggling socially or academically? Does he not like school? Does his school have problems with helping him with D management? Those are some things I can think of off the top of my head. I hope you get it worked out! :)

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm an avid homeschooler and I agree too. Homeschooling is wonderful but you really should be "led" to do so, not forced to.

If your heart has always wanted to homeschool but you continually talk yourself out of it and NOW seems to be the time due to frustrations over diabetes, go for it. But if diabetes alone is the reason I think you'll set yourself and your son up for frustrations. Better to work with the system for all involved.

I will say, however, that I have never been more thankful for homeschooling than I have been these past 2 years. I simply can't imagine sending him some days!

19. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

We homeschool too, and have since the beginning. My son is 16 and daughter turns 13 next week, so whatever grades that translates too. :D

20. MamaLibby

Lol, I have no idea what grades my kids are in! if I had to guess I'd say 4-6, 1-2, K-1, pre-K-1 and "preschoolers":p