- advertisement -

"Cure" today, would you????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ronin1966, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

If some "cure" was found today.....

Would you get that treatment for yourself, your son/daughter immediately or would you wait a while for whatever reason(s)?

Anyone have thoughts.... :D

2. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

I'd wait! Sometimes the cure is worse! DS's D is never going to get worse.

Just my opinion though!

3. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Of course I would want to jump on that opportunity, but like the pp said...I would wait. :(

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I guess it would depend on the "cure". I'd probably wait.

5. Toni

Toni Banned

It would depend on what it is. If the "cure" or treatment was Smart Insulin, I figure it is insulin, and I would try to get it. If encapsulated islet transplantation without immunosuppressants I would wait. If Faustman's BCG only (not the second drug) would try it (that drug has already been in use for years). Treatment endo's facility is working on, would investigate thoroughly, possibly go ahead. Depends on the mode of treatment.

6. JusticesFight

JusticesFight Approved members

I agree I'd wait as well. With all the new meds and procedures sometimes the side effects or long effects are worse than the disease.

7. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I'd wait. Sometimes the cures that come out for things have long-term side effects years down the road that can't be predicted until lots of people start using the "cure" in real life. I'd be reading up and following every bit of research on how the cure was going, then we'd make a decision.

8. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Folks:

Thank you for your thoughts. Hopefully more will answer as well... :eek:

As the diabetic I don't care if I'm compelled to glue giant yellow feathers to my naked skin (ala big bird costume) while standing on my head and chanting Barney songs three times a week in the public square.

If THAT cured me.... fine. I don't care how "humiliating" a particular cure might be. From that regard, I say bring it on, I'm in.

However, if it required internal translantation for example, I do not believe the technology is advanced enough yet to achieve the artifical pancreas game. How do we tell what side-effects could result until that first generation of "cure users" has finally died...?

Until they've used it how do the ~hidden complications~ get known?

9. Carrie333

Carrie333 Approved members

a cure: as simple as an injection

YES YES YES Both my husband & daughter are currently signed up but still need to be accepted to recieve the "cure" in a human clinical trial that is going on NOW at Boston Massachusettes General Hospital by Dr. Denise Faustman. www.faustmanlab.org :D The way I understand it, the cure will be an injection. Right now Dr. Faustman & her research team are working on dosage & frequancy along with the FDA. If funding is raised in a timely manner this complete reversal should be given to a controlled group in about 3 or 4 years. :D They can't wait & want to be first in line!

No side effects in the mice & by the way, no embryonic stem cells use in this one!!!!

Carrie

10. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

All very interesting. I would wait - unless it was reversible - there is someone working on the LCT type islet cells encapsulated that have some sort of isotope in them so they can be retrieved if needed.
    Welcome Carrie - you have a very brave family. It will be fantastic if it works first time! Big party eh!;)

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

You are mixing up lots of different stuff here. The artificial pancreas project uses existing technology, no unseen complications just the issue of wearing devices and the accuracy of the hardware and software. Pancreas transplants are a cure and have been for a long time but they do not work all that often and involve massive drugs that are known to cause problems. The newer "cures" do not yet have the track record to know about complications. But, if you are looking at major problems without a cure then a cure with a potential problem down the road might be worth it. You buy your self some time. You are always looking at risk and benefit. There are risks to using manufactured insulin, but as a T1 using insulin is of course worth it sense the alternative is death within a month. So for all of us it just depends on our current health. If you are really sick from T1 than the risks will be worth it, if you are doing OK even if not great than the risks will not be. Dangerous side effects typically show up within 10 years, so after 7 years I would guess most of us would sign up.Ali

12. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

A while back I asked my DD if she would participate in a clinical trial and her words were "No, I'm not gonna be a human guinea pig!" Plus, I got a "look".:rolleyes: All of which, knowing her, I was fully expecting, but being so close to Boston I had to ask...

So I guess I would have to say we would wait for any cure to develop a track record. Although if it was my own body I would jump on it :cool:

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Define "cure".;)

14. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

As of right now I would have my daughter wait. I do believe it is her body and her choice however with unknown possible side effects I would rather her wait and as her parent wouldnt even bring it up to her until she was older and mature enough for her to make a informed decision herself.

15. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Depends on the cure. What if it were something like radiation treatment? Wasn't there one "cure" where they completely destroy the immune system and then when it rebuilds the body no longer kills islet cells? No thanks.

16. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

The side of me that sees my son deal with this dreaded disease every single day says.. SIGN ME UP!!!

But, the more rational side of me, says, let's wait and see.

17. Joe M

Joe M Approved members

I'd like to be a mouse, they seem to be cured all the time :)

18. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Love that!!

I wouldn't be first in line, but I wouldn't wait years either. Waiting would be the hardest thing, though, and every scare would probably shorten that wait a little more...

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Cure, yes, another treatment? most likely not until it's proven for years

20. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Wait, to make sure the cure isn't worse than the disease:)