- advertisement -

Cure of type 1 found for dogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by northlandca, Feb 11, 2013.

1. northlandca

northlandca New Member

Have you heard about this?

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/type_1_diabetes_cured_dogs-103093

The researchers claim to have cured Type 1 Diabetes in dogs. They achieved this with a single session of various injections, with a so called gene therapy. After 4 years the dogs remained symptom free.

"Dogs treated with a single administration of gene therapy showed good glucose control at all times, both when fasting and when fed, improving on that of dogs given daily insulin injections, and with no episodes of hypoglycemia, even after exercise."

"The study is the first to report optimal long-term control of diabetes in large animals. This had never before been achieved with any other innovative therapies for diabetes. The study is also the first to report that a single administration of genes to diabetic dogs is able to maintain normoglycemia over the long term (more than 4 years)."

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The study report is here:

Treatment of Diabetes and Long-term Survival Following Insulin and Glucokinase Gene Therapy

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/01/30/db12-1113.abstract

This is very exciting work, but it is important to realize that this study looked at chemically induced "type 1" diabetes, not autoimmune type 1 diabetes. Still, the safety of the vectors and long term glycemic control that resulted are amazing.

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I speak only for myself when I say "woof."

4. Mostafa

Mostafa Approved members

i hope that they can start the trials in humans fast!

5. jade

jade Approved members

Does it say anywhere in the articles/abstract that the dogs were chemically induced type 1s?

6. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

Are you sure about that? Dogs do get a form of autoimmune diabetes. It is more like human LADA than human type-1 (hits later in life), but they test positive for autoantibodies to the dog versions of GAD, insulin, and IA-2. I have not seen a direct source that tells me if these dogs were induced or had natural diabetes.

Joshua Levy

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. northlandca

northlandca New Member

Thanks for all your responses. I am also very excited. My 10 year old was diagnosed September 2011 and I sooo wish for him, that this could be a cure. He is a trooper, but still ...
    But I am also aware, that human trials could last many, many years.

Jeff, I tried the link, but it opened only an abstract. For the full version I have to pay $25 to get access for one day.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

From the full article:

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    Diabetes induction. ​
    [/FONT][/FONT]Experimental diabetes was induced in 6-12 month-old dogs by a single intravenous injection of a mixture of streptozotocin (35 mg/kg) and alloxan (40 mg/kg)