- advertisement -

Crystal lite?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jan 20, 2012.

1. suz

suz Approved members

We get these from Kroger, they're usually hidden away on the bottom shelf.

My son loves Crystal Lite. We got a soda maker for Christmas, so now we put CL in the fizzy water for a special treat.

2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Prior to diagnosis all someone needed to do to get me up on a soap box was mention artificial sweeteners. I was all about the chemicals and the rise in cancers among children and the increase in autistic spectrum disorders and so forth. I was knocked flat on my face when my son was diagnosed. If I was going to let him put it in his body by gum, I was going to put it in mine. I switched to diet soda and started making koolaid with splenda. I make cookies with splenda for the white sugar and use regular brown sugar and my family loves them!

We do avoid aspartame and try to use either splenda or stevia. My cousin in law is a pharmacist and was on the research team responsible for testing the safety of sucralose(sp?). When my oldest nephew was diagnosed she called my brother and told him everything they found and that she would have no problem giving it to her child. That made me feel a little better but, I still have my twinges when I feel like I should be avoiding all chemical sweeteners.

My son would be a very unhappy boy with out his shake 'em ups for his water. He had to give up the freedom of his grazing nature when he was on MDI that I felt like the least I could do was let him enjoy his lemonade and orange drink. He can have it all day as long as he drinks a glass of water along side it which he does no problem.:)

I am sure there are people that will judge me for that but, so be it.:p

3. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We like Honest Kids juice pouches and Fruitables box drinks.

Someone up-thread mentioned soda water/selter water with a splash of juice - very tasty and refreshing!

Ds drinks milk and water also.

When we make fruit smoothies he usually "guestimates" 15 g. carbs for 1 cup. But this varies depending on how much ice is used and what types of fruit/veggies go in.

Diet sodas are a treat for ds - maybe for a family movie night or out to eat. Really, our whole family is trying to make more nutritious choices across the board. Plus, the price of sodas for a family of 5 at a restaurant are so high.

So in a nutshell, we avoid artificial sweeteners, but will use products that contain them occasionally.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

We keep water in the fridge, which my son now drinks. But for meals he drinks milk, unsweetened tea, Capri sun lemonade, and orange juice (or apple cider when in season). When eating out, he gets a diet soda or boluses for a sugared one.

He used to drink Crystal Light, but now prefers the sugared lemonade.

5. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Our DD was diagnosed in '09 with high Triglycerides (genetic thing - i forgot the official name). Sugars were something we had to limit back then and were told sugar free on all drinks if possible. Since we don't drink soda (no one seems to like it unless we are sick) we were big kool aid fans. We went to the sugar free koolaid and it made her belly hurt. We did switch to Crystal Lite Pure (3 carbs in serving - 1/2 of water bottle) and she tolerates that well and really likes it. Once diagnosed with T1D we just kept on with the Pure. She does still do her chocolate milk for breakfast every day which we bolus for. Of course, water is other drink of choice for kids at home! Adults have a choice of a hops beverage if so desired:D

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Before dx, I never bought pop for the kids. Ever.

Now you can find Coke Zero in my fridge regularly, right alongside the diet A&W and diet Sunkist. My son won't drink much tap water, but if I buy bottled water he will guzzle it down. He's also a fan of flavored waters (again, bottled so his nibs will drink it.) In a pinch he'll relent and use sugar free koolaid, but he doesn't like Crystal Light's aftertaste at all.

My 360 on pop was because I am always on the lookout for anything that can be considered a "bonus" for my son when it comes to D. Never was allowed pop before, is now - bonus. I'll go with anything that may make him feel like D has an upside. :cwds:

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I have been buying the individual Crystal Light packs that don't have artificial sweetener. They are made with real sugar and have 3 carbs.

ETA- I double checked and it's made with sugar and truvia. I guess it isn't considered an artificial sweetener

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Yes! That is how I feel too:)

9. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Lots of ideas here. I have to look into stevia again, used to shy away from it because I thought kids shouldn't drink it. Silly question, but just wondering if I am thinking of the same stevia as everyone else... is it a sugar substitute packaged much like splenda (in little individual packets?) I have never seen them flavored (maybe they don't have them in Canada). I will have to look for crystal lite made with real sugar too, 3 carbs is not bad compared to 25 carbs for a juice box.

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

My daughter only has juice if she is low or with a meal other wise its to spikey for her. Milk she can have anytime now that she is on a pump. We also keeps lots of bottled water and crystal light around along with a product called true lemon. http://www.truelemon.com/ All true lemon is, is crystalized lemon no sweetners and its all natural. Its a big hit around here.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It does come in little packets, but I prefer the drops and I've only seen the flavors in drops. Sweet Leaf is the brand, Amazon carries it (so does my grocery, but that's not much help!). I bought a 4 pack of tiny little droppers with 4 different flavors to sample the other day.

edited to add that it may seem pricey but a drop goes a LONG way, it's very very sweet and if you add too much it is a bit bitter so be careful with it initially until you find your taste.

12. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

I avoid aspartame and try to use splenda. I haven't tried stevia. Sweet iced tea was our favorite before diagnosis, so now it is green tea with splenda. I do have crystal light here, but she doesn't like it. MiO she drinks on occasion. She has never liked soda.

13. MelissaN

MelissaN New Member

My daughter is 4, dx'd at 18 months... She drinks Crystal Light MOSTLY, with a few Capri Sun Roaring Waters thrown in and milk or sugar free chocolate milk at meals. She's just not a fan of plain water and I drink Crystal Light like it's going out of style, so... I don't see anything wrong with it. *shrugs* But, that's just me. Your opinions may vary :cwds:

14. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Went hunting for stevia at the grocery store yesterday (superstore in Canada). Couldn't find stevia packets, or flavor drops, but found cola and ginger ale made with stevia!!! I was so happy to find those as dd does like the ocassional pop and I never liked feeding her diet pop with aspartame.

For those in Canada who wants to know, it's in the organic section at superstore.

15. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

My daughter also likes Minute Maid lite lemonade.

16. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thank you! I'll look for it next time I'm "home," as I can't stand the taste of aspartame. Any luck with the Crystal Lite Pure?