- advertisement -

Crystal Bowersox not our idol?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ivan's Mum, May 27, 2010.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Okay, I may be a little behind the times in NZ but is anyone else floored that she wasn't the winner? She was way more polished in performance than Lee (who was also one of my picks from the start) and I can't really believe the results.

I suspect that Lee will disappear into the void of most of the other A.I past winners and crystal might go on to better things. Selling to people who don't vote on these kinda things... like me!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think she's actually better positioned to do her thing musically as the "loser".

I know that she will have a spectacular career without the burden of the Idol machine looking to twist her into a pop star. ;)

And the guy ... like a Bruce "lite" imho :rolleyes:

3. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I was very surprised she didn't win. After Tuesday nights performance, I thought she had it. It was night and day between the two.

However, as much as I would have liked to see her win, I think it is better to be in second place. She doesn't have to do what Idol says the first year.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

EXACTLY!!! I have been saying this to people all day today, lol! :)

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Agreed. Both of them will have very good careers, in my opinion. I did favor Lee myself; I can really see him at the head of a band.

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Well....the gist here in music city is the best one now comes in 2nd due to the contract obligations. Lee is great, but Crystal is beyond great. She will not be stuck in the Idol machine, and will not have to wait for a few years to become "her" own musician. Look at Daughtry and Lambert...much better in second place. So many first placers have gone to Broadway, and their albums fizzled, while second placers are tearing it up!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I agree.. I would have loved to see her win.. but I think she's going to be perfectly fine.. after all most of the runner ups go on to do more than the winners.. two winners that I can think of that have gone far are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.

Crystal will be alright.. she'll go far, doing her type of music.. I'd love to see her in concert!

8. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

they'll all be tied in to the idol machine, not just the winner, I'm pretty sure they sign up to it - idol will always take their cut, after all, they discovered them. And lee would be good as part of a band but he's not a stand alone artist IMHO. But that's not to say he won't sell a few records.

Part of me wondered if it was a case of the 'great unwashed' which sounds terrible but that Crystal was too dreadlocked, tattooed and bad dental worked (not to mention the solo mum thing) for people to 'embrace' as such.

Having worked in the music biz, I know the record companies scratch their heads when they don't get the winner they want. OVer here, we had one that BMG knew would bomb and they still had to do the promo machine on him. He was a shocker and slipped back into nothingness.

I really thought the judges were telling Crystal she was great and thought she had it in the bag----and well done lee for giving it a go and coming so far. The voting public disagree but I think the record buying public might be a different crowd.

Oh well, I wonder what will happen with simon gone. I thought the old 'hail simon' last night was over the top and had to turn stations. All a bit cheezy. I suspect Idol will disappear.

I just hope the record companies jump on the crystal waggon. If they don't, I bet she'll be tied up in tape and won't be able to do anything without their support (or giving them a cut).

9. KHM

KHM Approved members

heh---unfortunately not a BIT surprised that Crystal didn't win... as much as she was certainly the biggest talent that has ever graced the Idol stage, the winners are always determined by 13-year old girls whose parents have bought them unlimited AT&T text plans. I do feel good about it ending up between Lee and Crystal, though. They are both great representatives for that franchise---and in the end, that's what its about.

Crystal rocked all season long; I loved the couple of times she took the opportunity to mention her diabetes care---I REALLY loved that :cwds:

10. Flutterby

I don't know what their obligation is to Idol after they are done..except for the winning.. that would definitely be interesting information to know.. I'm sure Idol gets something.. Probably why Simon is leaving.. he doesn't need to work anymore. ;)

11. Lance

Lance Approved members

12. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Heh, nothing against Broadway!!!!! :p Besides, other then Fantasia, who was the winner in her year, there are usually people from the top 10 or 12 who work on Broadway. Diana DiGarmo, Constantine Maroulis and I think Ace - I forgot his name, work a lot on Broadway. On a side note, Fantasia was fantastic as Celie in The Color Purple, she WAS Celie!

As for the contract obligations, I know before contestants even audition for some small producers the first time, they have to sign a really tight contract. And I'm sure as they move further a long in the show, they have to sign more. For example you can not audition if you are signed with a management company.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Don't forget they will all have to go on tour this summer :) I was worried about Crystal last night, I thought it was too easy to call a bunch of times on the middle number. I thought Adam Lambert was WAY WAY better than Chris...

14. Flutterby

I was worried too.. I got through almost every time I called.. way to easy.. I never liked chris.. I don't like the way he sings, at all.. Now Adam..he's a different story.

15. Jensmami

Same here!

16. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I really liked both of their styles. I thought they both came across unique.

I agree they will both be sucessful. I will definitely buy both their albums when they come out.

17. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

The judges' comments about being on Broadway were almost meant to be insults and that always bothered me. Broadway performers are some of the best vocalists on the planet.

Clay Aiken also did a stint on Broadway in Spamalot. ;)

18. Jensmami

Oh, I forgot Clay - I even saw him in a Broadway Charity Performance. And I also forgot Adam Lambert, he was not on Broadway, but in a Broadway Touring Company.

Maybe things will change now that Glee is so popular, and many great Broadway performers are regulars or guest performers in it.

19. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Adam Lambert was the Fiyero u/s on either the tour or the LA company. (I'm too lazy to look it up.) I did see a clip of him and he was wonderful. We're Gleeks in this house, so I hope that its popularity does help change people's perspectives.

20. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

The teeny-bopper votes definately helped Lee.

Didn't he seem a little shocked when his name was called? I think he knew that the better singer was Crystal.

I also read recently that a former Idol finalist (Top 12 - season 5), Kevin Covais, aka "Chicken Little is T1. He was diagnosed at 11yo.