- advertisement -

creative solutions--anyone experienced with mixing humalog and regular?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, May 15, 2015.

1. kail

kail Approved members

I posted awhile ago about our struggles with night time surges around 11pm. We had our appt with endo about a week ago and came home with a vial of Regular insulin to try in combination with her humalog at dinner to combat this rise. The first couple times I tried it I was so excited. Instead of a huge mountain shape on her dex screen overnight I had the most wonderful flat line. But it has been a bit tricky and I am still trying to fine tune. For the most part I have given it together with her humalog but we have been eating late recently so that seems ok. I generally prefer when she eats earlier-like 6 but then I think I will have to separate them since she doesn't start the night time surge until around 10:30 or 11. One day she had eaten a bit earlier and DH had already given her humalog so I gave the regular at bedtime. I have been trying to give meals that are very well balanced in fairly quick carbs and longer absorbing carbs. We end up with 2 peaks-one at 1.5 hours with the humalog and another at 3 hours for the regular. I am trying to tweak her ratios a bit because I have had to treat her a couple times when she dips too low at those peaks. One of our good nights she stayed at 100 all night long until around 5am when she started drifting down and I finally had to treat her. I started to lower the lantus thinking I needed to minimize any drop in the early morning hours so that I could keep her at a steady but overall lower number all night. I am trying to figure out how much humalog vs regular to give with each meal. So far I have tried half and half, slight more humalog and slightly more regular depending on the meal and I am not sure which worked best. Unfortunately she started running high the past few days. She has the tiniest bit of nasal congestion so I am guessing it is related to that but its frustrating. I don't think it could be all from lowering the lantus a bit but who knows. I am slowly creeping back up on that as well as giving alot of extra humalog right now. Anyway I just thought I would mention my current experiment and see if anyone had done anything similar on a regular basis and if you had any tips to making it work. Thanks!

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We used to mix Humalog and Regular.. the ratio of humalog to regular depended on the starting BG. More Humalog if higher.. It worked well for us although it was 10+ years ago...

3. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

We too use regular for the night peak. My son eats later around 8.30 and I give full amount humalog then about 1.5 hour later I give regular depending on the food he has eaten so for food with a lot of fat or slow carbs I give 1:1 ratio for others less

4. kail

kail Approved members

You give the full amount of humalog for his carbs and then the same amount of regular? Wow thats alot extra. I started off giving .25-.5unit extra for the night surge but was having lows so I dropped down to just splitting the dinner dose between the 2. Struggling to find the right balance. I'm often getting a bigger spike at dinner but sometimes going low later. Tonight she was a bit over 200 before dinner since she has been unusually high lately (slight runny nose so I'm guessing its related). She spiked to 300 just after dinner but now she is 117 with slanted arrow down about 2 hours after her dose. Hoping she will ride out the 3hr mark without going low. On a positive note I tried mixing the humalog and regular at a lunch dose yesterday as we were heading out to a birthday party right after that. She was able to nibble on some snacks, mostly grapes and had a low carb gluten free cupcake and stayed level all afternoon at the party around 120. It was the flattest line I have ever had at a party.

5. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

He is in full blast puberty so he does need alot of insulin most of the times especially during these hours when I think all kind of hormones relised.. I have said it before the use of regular has helped us alot during the evening but also with slow carbs and fatty foods.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Wilf would be the one to talk to about this.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

8. Joa

Joa Approved members

It is known, that analogue insulin is the wrong choice for little children or diabetics with high insulin sensivity.
    The reason is, that analogue insulin at small dosing is acting to quick and short so it is not able to cover the resorption of the food even not of the carbs.

The solution is to use analogue insulin only for corrections and normally for the food regular.

Regards
    Joa

9. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

We too experimented with regular - not for night time use specifically, but for things like pizza or a higher fat meal that takes forever to process. We are still experimenting, but have found that mostly a 50/50 split of regular to rapid was not enough for my DD on the front end. We found a 60/40 split of rapid/regular to be most effective. Wilf helped a lot and if you can search my previous posts or threads, you may find some good info from Wilf about the use of regular.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey folks, have been away for a bit while dealing with a heavy workload at work.

We did combinations of Regular and Novolog (which is the equivalent of Humalog) for years. The thing to keep in mind in this situation is that 3 insulins are being given, each with their own response curves which will affect blood sugars. When is she getting her Lantus?

My guess is that she started running high as a result of lowering the Lantus..