- advertisement -

crazy?

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by ilovefrogs, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ilovefrogs

ilovefrogs New Member

I know that this will sound crazy, but i just joined this forum because my aunt was telling me about it. Im a 22 year old nursing student, and I have went from a great doctor to a doctor that I think has lost his mind. My A1C was a 9.7 and he wants to decrease my insulin. I think that he has lost his mind! I also have a decreased sensation in my feet, and I asked him what we were going to do about it and he told me "We are just going to wait and see if it progresses". Ok I have enough stress on me from school and then he is going to tell me that, Please someone tell me that I am not crazy

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yeah, with an A1c of 9.7 I don't think lowering the insulin doses is probably the best of ideas! How much insulin are you taking?
    Do you ever change your own doses? That's what I do. My endo just occasionally makes suggestions.
    For neuropathy, getting a lower A1c is probably the best thing you can do, although there might be other treatments that could do something.

3. prima0006

prima0006 Approved members

Get a second opinion and find an Endo that u trust & works with you. It's your disease and as a patient u must be your own advocate!!!

4. ilovefrogs

ilovefrogs New Member

Yes me and my aunt are managing it now. I never really got the training on the pump and she has showed me all kinds of different things that i did not know was there. we have changed my basal and my carb ratio and i have been running below 200 for the past 8 days!! im excited, i know that this is just a start but i havent ran this good in years. ive got an endo that is going to take me under his wing in birmingham and i cant wait to see him, anyone is better than the one i have.

5. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I'm glad everything is working out for you now. Your "start" is great!! Its amazing what the correct insulin doses can do. Good job on getting a new endo, because that one seemed a tad bit confused(to say the least).:)

6. ilovefrogs

ilovefrogs New Member

just an update

this is just an update on how i am doing, ive had the flu so my sugars have been a little off, but i have been checking my blood like i am supposed to now for the past month and i am so proud of myself, my family and fiance are as well. my avg is now around 150! ive never felt as good as i do now. the flu sucks this year just so you know, they say that the main symptom this year is having an ear ache or infection. and yes i did get my flu shot so just wanted to let yall know that. but while i was sick my aunt showed my that i could increase my basal to 110% and i so did not know that. i went from running in the 300s to 150-200, that helped my feel better even more. my new endo is going to be Dr. Vaughn in birmingham, havent got to make an appt yet, trying to get everything in line. i think that it is funny b/c he said he would like to have my records from my previous endo but if i thought that it might cause a problem that he didnt have to have them, he sounds like a really great guy and all my aunt does is talk about how wonderful he is. I cant wait to meet him! thanks for teh feedback, it helps so much

7. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello ilovefrogs:

Having read your thread though quickly, lets play devils advocate here.

The only reason that reducing your insulin would make any sense would be if they felt using too much insulin was what was causing you the problem which bought you that 9.7 A1C?

Think about this.... if you get the bouncy-ball routine because trying for too tight control you stay too low and you end up crashing and burning (low). Then you spike hard from either your own efforts to corret those lows or your body doing its "emergency response" (liver dump) either way your sugars soar like a NASA rocket because of those lows. You follow?

Result A1C 9.7

Cut back on the background insulin, stop pressing on the proverbial gas pedal to achieve tighter and tighter control... let up just for a little bit (a week, two weeks) and see if that doesn't buy you better numbers. :eek:

Its a counter intuitive approach to be sure, but it also could explain their view pretty cleanly.... IME.

8. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello ilovefrogs:

If you don't want to share the old records with the new Endo, then by all means, do not!

If the new approach doesn't work, they'll ask what did work before.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

Well you may be crazy if you stick with that endo. If you are not now, you will be. I would be endo shopping right about now. Maybe someone can recommend a good endo in your area. I think you can get help here in the meantime if you post your regime, BS numbers, carb ratios, etc. There are a few parents that are very good at trouble-shooting.

10. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Sounds as though you are doing brilliantly! You have a wonderful Aunt. Well done the both of you. Your new endo is giving you a fresh start. What a great time to have it while you are so young!
    There was talk on another thread about Metanx. It is a combination of B vitamins, by the sound of it, that might help with the neuropathy. It is discussed here: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=49977&highlight=metanx&page=2

Danas Dad also mentioned taking magnesium and making sure you aren't having aspartame in you diet drinks etc.

Keep doing what you are doing... and keep us posted - I am sure your new HbA1c will be great!:D

11. Blue

Blue Approved members

Caution . . .

Old thread resurrection alert . . . ;)

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Ha ha! Well spotted.