- advertisement -

Crazy Pump Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brandi's mom, May 11, 2010.

1. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Can you wear a pump while riding a roller coaster or would the G-forces mess it up?

Wanted to ask here before I call Animas and sound like a goober asking them.

2. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I don't think anything like that would mess with it!
    I take it off for fear that it would become disconnected and fall off!

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

When I went to an advanced pump class held by the Cozmo rep he said that you should not wear your pump on roller coasters because of the magnets used in the coasters.

4. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

It's the magnets that can mess w/ the pump. That being said, I always forget to take dd's off, and we've not had a problem... yet!

5. suz

suz Approved members

at our training a couple of weeks ago the Animas lady specifically told us to disconnect for roller coasters. Something to do with the g-forces could cause the pump to administer insulin ???

6. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Animas handbook, rec. avoid wearing on Roller coasters, xrays, and MRIs

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I wouldn't leave the pump connected on a roller coaster.. something like that can put insulin out.. we were on a scrambler and having kaylee disconnected matt was watching the end and could see insulin being pushed out.. it wasn't much, a drop or two, which equals about 1u, it would have been a heck of a lot for Kaylee though, and for someone like Brandi that is honeymooning..

8. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Ryan's never taken it off for rides and we've never had a problem...knock on wood.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Animas is adamant about you not even wearing the pump on a roller coaster or something with a sudden drop. Being on vacation, we never take the chance, we do the parent swap or if my parents are with us, grandma comes in handy.

Let's put it this way. If you choose to wear the pump and just disconnect and something goes wrong...don't tell Animas you were wearing it on a coaster. Just play dumb:confused::D

10. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Your Animas user manual states that you should disconnect for rides with g-forces.

For rides that have a magnetic induction start mechanism (like Rock'n'Rollercoaster at Disney World), they state that you should not only disconnect, but leave the pump behind with someone, like a family member.

Personally, I'd be afraid of there being a small bolus from the g-forces pushing insulin through the tubing (not sure if it could happen, but I wouldn't risk it), not to mention the possibility of harming an expensive piece of medical equipment by not following the manufacturer's suggestion.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Leave it in the spibelt but disconnect from the site. You do NOT want to risk losing it. I don't think it's the magnets, but the g force that might administer insulin while connected. Just remember to reconnect when coming off the ride.