- advertisement -

Crazy numbers...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Jul 2, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

These numbers are crazy for us tonight.

We spent the day at the beach and the girls were playing around and I was afraid of a low, so I let Samantha have a few extra cookies. She had some baked lentil chips and hummus, a bit of watermelon a few bites of her sandwich and the cookies. Not really a whole lot.

We got to the beach around 1:30 and they ate right away.

3:00 she was 142

4:53 189

5:00 The girls had McD's for dinner-she ate 3 chicken nuggets and some of her fries.

6:57 she was 281
    She had fallen asleep but I woke her up to give her the night time 1 U of Lantus
    8:06 248
    9:31 Going to bed her BG 214

10:30 still awake and asks to test her sugar 124 :eek: That seems like a big drop in an hour
    10:47 89 :eek::eek: seems like she's falling...made her a snack of cottage cheese and pineapple, adds up to about 20 carbs.

She never went low, of course, but that seems like a big drop? I'm going to check her again, but I'm guessing the 20 carbs will be enough to keep her steady for the night? Oh, and obviously I'm not following the endo telling me to test her only 4 times a day.

I wish this thing had a set of rules that it would follow so that we would always know what to do.

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

welcome to the world of D

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Stuff like this happens with my DD, who is still in her "honeymoon," in the sense that her TDD is comparatively low and her pancreas seems to function overnight and sometimes (unpredictably) at other times as well. My DD also regularly has very high numbers during and shortly after swimming, but then those numbers will go down, sometimes quickly, sometimes not so quickly -- if I correct with insulin, she will be low.

It's challenging and exhausting, but you'll perhaps be able to see some trends and patterns that will make it less so.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Did she have extra activity that day? If not I would lower her Lantus by 1 unit:cwds: If so I would just keep an eye on it for a another day or two:cwds:

5. januaryblue

She's only on 2 units of Lantus a day-split am and pm. I'm not comfortable yet changing her doses on my own, since we are still so new to this...and she seems to be hitting 200 plus almost every single day, so I'm not sure about lowering her dose? The 281 was a little higher then usual, but then we had that big fast drop.

It really is confusing to me. :eek:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That sounds like a fat spike to me from the McDonalds food. We had the same thing the other day when we went to the beach. Here I thought that Steven would go low from all the activity and he was 382 at 9:00PM:eek: The drop was probably the food digesting completely and all that good activity burning carbs for her:) Often after lots of activity kids will have quick drops and may even feel low when they arent because of the adrenaline rush from the blood sugar dropping rapidly

7. januaryblue

Oh, so that's what a fat spike looks like? I've heard you all talk about it. :cwds:

What concerns me most is that I would have sent her to bed at 9:30 with the high of 214 and thought she would have been ok for the night, but she came in asking me to test her sugar and she was down to 124. I'm glad she felt something...of course she said she felt like her arm was going backwards...so I have no idea what that means??? Crazy kid descriptions.:eek: LOL. It meant something to her.

An hour after the cottage cheese and pineapple she was 164 and her morning number was 89. So it all worked out, but I would not have necessarily checked her again that night.

I'm going to request a CGM when we go back to the endo on Tuesday, I think I would personally feel better having that extra bit of knowledge to work with. Samantha also wants the pump and I think it would be nice to have when school starts up.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

There are many knowledgeable people on here that can discuss the pump and CGMS with you and tell you the best features of different brands. Awesome that Samantha was feeling her low with her arm going backwards:)

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth was on Lantus for over 6 years, it's supposed to keep you stable during the night. Honeymoon can bring you down too. I get that your new so you don't want to change things on your own, so call the Endo. :cwds: Or you can see what happens tonight, watch but don't treat until she actually low. If it's the honeymoon alone it will bring her down without making her low. If the Lantus is too high she will keep dropping. Does that make sense?

I don't use daytime numbers to adjust Lantus. Only the three hour after dinner number and the morning number. period.:)

10. januaryblue

We have an appt on Tuesday with the endo for our 1 month check up. I will certainly be asking them about that, thanks.