- advertisement -

Crazy increase in insulin needs after viral infection

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Feb 5, 2016.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

Noah went from ~15U/day (0.5U/kg*day) to ~25/day (0.8U/kg*day) during his adenovirus infection and bacterial ear infection. He's been back to school and feeling normal for almost a week now but the insulin need is still as high.

I'm wondering if I'm still seeing effects of the infection/antibiotics or if, after 12 months of some level of honeymoon, his beta cells finally packed it up and left.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We had this happen when my daughter had strep. Her insulin needs went way up and stayed up.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Honestly, it could be the final end of honeymoon or be the result of the infection. When you have your next clinic appointment they can do some formulas to estimate if honeymoon is still happening or they might even be willing to do a c-peptide test to check for honeymoon. Either way you will always be adjusting insulin no matter what the cause.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

It seems that infections can restimulate the immune system's attack on the beta cells. As my daughter was coming out of her honeymoon, most of the steps upwards in insulin needs came after various illnesses.