- advertisement -

covering kids ...

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by Scribe, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

this was just announced. i'm passing along in case anyone might be interested.

All Blue Cross And Blue Shield Plans Announce Young Americans
    Can Remain On Their Parents Policy In Advance Of New Federal Law

WASHINGTON ? The nation?s 39 independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies will allow hundreds of thousands of young Americans to remain covered on their parents? policy in advance of a new federal law, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) announced today.

Healthcare reform legislation signed into law last month by President Obama would make coverage available to adult children up to age 26 for plan years beginning September 23, 2010. Recognizing that this timetable could result in many young people losing their coverage prior to this date because of their age, student status, including graduation from school, or other factors, every Blue Cross and Blue Shield company has agreed to allow covered individuals under age 26 to remain on their parents? individual health insurance policies effective June 1. We will offer this extension of coverage to our employer accounts for their members.

?The entire Blue Cross and Blue Shield System, which provides coverage to nearly 100 million Americans in every zip code in the nation, is committed to working collaboratively with the Administration, Congress, state regulators, and all stakeholders to provide for an effective and workable implementation of the new healthcare reform law,? said Scott P. Serota, BCBSA president and chief executive officer. ?By proactively making this change now, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans are working to enhance and preserve coverage for as many Americans as possible.?
    The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for nearly 100 million members ? one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit www.BCBS.com.

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

This is great, but now I guess we wait and see if my dh's company partakes? We have BCBS/local Anthem. My son graduates college mid June and coverage ends the end of that month (when "the event" takes place). Sounds like the company has to agree to participate with BCBS in this as I understand it.

We're looking at Cobra until my son is employed.

Thanks so much for sharing.

3. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I just received information in our brokerage firm that Aetna is extending this as well.:D

Aetna offers to extend dependent eligibility ahead of health care reform schedule
    We understand that young adults are concerned about potential gaps in health care coverage. We will work with our customers to allow young adults to remain on their parents' plan until the dependent coverage requirements of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act go into effect later this year.

We are working to make the changes necessary to accommodate the extension of dependent coverage to young adults who otherwise would age out of the plan before the requirements go into place. Extending eligibility for young adults currently covered under their parents? plans is a gradual first step toward moving plan sponsors to the new health care reform law.

Aetna is still determining the processes we will follow and the implications for our plan sponsors. This extension will be optional for self-insured customers. We will share more information within the next few days.

We believe this is in the best interests of our members and is in keeping with the spirit of the health reform law.

4. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Also remember each state is different. In Maryland the age is 25 already, and has been to age 25.

If anyone ever has any doubt call the insurance companies and they will give you the age limit regardless of student status. Every state can be different.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

We have Humana and dependents are covered until age 25.. student status doesn't matter.

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

We called HR at my husband's company today. We have BCBS/Anthem. They are not offering the bridge coverage on this! :mad: How can this be? I guess each company can make their own decision?

My ds has to pay Cobra from graduation to when he begins his job. :(