- advertisement -

Cover all carbs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Seansmommy, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

If your child is on the pump do you cover all carbs? For example a snack of 7 carbs for a yogurt tube, or 4 carb freezie?

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

Generally, I do - it depends, though, on what my son's BS is, and whether there is still IOB (and how much!). If he's below target, and it's a small amount of carbs, we can usually get away with either no bolus or a reduced one. If he's right at/around target and still has a fair amount of insulin working, we can again give a small snack (around 5-7 grams or so) with no additional insulin.

Typically, though, if it's a regular snack we will cover it.

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

Yup, I cover them all. That is what drew me to the pump the most. Nathan has never been able to have any amount of free carbs.

Now, of course if he is outside playing or any other time you would want to give carbs to bring up or keep up blood sugar then I would not give insulin.

4. DListMom

DListMom Approved members

It really depends. Each person is different. My DD is pretty insulin resistant. We have to pretty much cover everything she eats, lucky she's on the pump now which makes it a whole lot easier.

5. Seansmommy

Thanks for replying. I was told he could have 10 free. His numbers have been really good except late afternoon. Not too high but above target. I think that is what is pushing him up above target. I think if he is lazing around in the afternoon I'll start covering those. It is so hot in the afternoon here he will play a video game. Thanks for the info. I am always hesitant to change anything the CDE has said but it really seems to make sense. I think what I have learnt most from this board is that d really doesn't have any rules. Guidlines but so much does vary. In the beginning I think following the CDE advice is good but I have to learn to go more by what I think is right for my child. Does that make sense? Do you follow the advice to the letter?

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

If basals are correct you would always need to cover carbs. What impacts this is exercise which reduces the basal needs and other "life stuff" which can impact your basal. Also if you have misjudged the carbs at a prior meal or snack you may need to eat something to keep from dropping too low or give some insulin to keep from being too high. Hormones, growth etc. also impact insulin needs. Looking at the IOB and the current BG along with when you last ate gives you a good idea if you can eat, or really need to eat to keep from going too low, some uncovered carbs.:cwds:ali

7. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Hi. I cover all carbs as otherwise Grace will go high - even for 4g. I think you're right to start off with the rules you're given but then adapt them to what you think works - it is useful to have rules but if it doesn't quite work for your child then do it a bit differently.

Layla x

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I cover all carbs. Thats the beauty of the pump!

9. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

Ditto. Unless he's been playing hard, then I may reduce the bolus a bit.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We cover all carbs unless we are treating a low, or trying to head off an impending low. 10 uncovered carbs would raise Jack in the neighborhood of 80-100 points.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

She might eat 1 carb without covering it, but 2 carbs or more would cause a signficant rise, so she will always cover anything more than 1 grape, etc. unless she is eating it to treat a low BG.

With the omnipod, it just takes a few seconds so there's no reason not to!

12. Seansmommy

So yesterday we covered all carbs and he was in range all day except late afternoon he was still a little over. We are needing to adjust his basal for that. But he was definitely closer. Pre supper he was 9.8 instead of 14 or 15. Ah progress! Thank you all so much for the advice.