- advertisement -

Couple Quick Questions about Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

1) Do you store your sensors in the fridge, particularly in summer?

2) Am I correct that there are no rubber-ish snap on cases like a phone case or an iPod case for the receiver? What is the least bulky case out there (it doesn't necessarily need a clip)?

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

No, we never store the sensors in the fridge.
    I would think that could mess it up and make it painful to insert.

We just use the case it came with. My son clips it to his pants.
    I think there are some other cases available from some other sources. Maybe Tallygear?

3. mamattorney

Thanks. I was reviewing the user's guide and it said that the sensors should be stored between 36 and 77 degrees and could be kept in the fridge, but I had never read that anywhere on CWD before so I wondered if people actually did it. We prefer fans to a/c and generally set the thermostat to 78 even when we turn it on, so our house might be over 77 quite a bit June - September.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We store our sensors in the fridge.

Spibelt has some great pouches...good for pumps or CGMS, or the dual is great for both.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't store dex sensors in the fridge. We stored the very old medtronic sensors in the fridge maybe 7 years ago though...

I use the tallygear case. I love it! Super well made and Donna is just wonderful to work with. She is making a rubber skin one soon but it isn't ready yet.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

No fridge.

My daughter usually carries her in her back pocket or the pocket in her hoodie. If she's wearing something without pockets, she sticks it in the clip case it came with and she wears it on her waistband.

My son sticks his in the clear pocket on his Tallygear belt. Works great.

If we are going somewhere together and I want to be able to watch their numbers, I use the Tallygear clip cases and attach them to my purse strap.

7. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We just keep the sensors in a cupboard.

As far as cases go, I think the best one we have found is the Tallygear. My son just uses the caribeaner it comes with and hooks it to his belt loop.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No fridge. Tallygear case on a lanyard, stuffed in a backpack or in a pocket.

Oh, and I bet the inside of your closets/cupboards are far cooler than the average air temp in your home in summer. I wouldn't worry unless they were sitting out on the counter in the sun.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We store sensors just like sets. Keep them in the closet in the bathroom.

My daughter prefers the Tallygear cases.

10. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

We store sensors in the closet or drawer with other D supplies. My son uses the double pocket spi-belt for the CGM and pump.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

We store the sensors in the cabinet with all the other diabetes stuff.

We use a combo of various cases. Most days, my son clips it on his belt with the case that comes with the g4 (but he has to wear a belt to school with his uniform). other days, he slips it into a double pouch spi belt Even without a window on the spibelt, you can read the dexcom through the fabric.

And tallygear has a nice case and is working on a silicone version. :)

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We keep the sensors in the cabinet.

No case. She keeps it in her pocket most of the time. In her kit if she doesn't have pockets. I'd love a silicone one like Omnipod has.

13. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

We store them in a cabinet, also.

We keep the dexcom in a tallygear case all the time, but sometimes he wears it around his neck and sometimes in a spibelt.

14. mamattorney

Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep the sensors in the cabinet then. It should be fine over the winter anyway. If I get twitchy about it in the summer, I can always do something different.

I think I'll skip the case for now. I think she'll keep it in her purse, I was just looking for a little protection from scratches or an accidental fall, but her purse is pretty small, so I don't want to add bulk. She's got a tallygear slip on band and it has several pockets, so she could keep it in there if her purse is too full.

It should ship today. I just have to wait until K gets home from school to ask her whether she wants a pink, blue or black receiver and then they can book it. That pink one sure is pink! Too pink for me to make that call.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just an FYI - the tallygear case is fabric, not bulky at all. Last summer DD was playing basketball during a break at music camp - "Wilson" as the dex is known here, somehow got out of her bag/pocket and spent a rainy night under a bush. Seems that the case afforded just enough protection to keep it from being ruined, even though that's not it's intended job. ;)

When you get the receiver and hold it and appreciate how small it is you may change your mind about a case, if only to make it easier to find, via carabiner, in the bottom of a bag :cool:

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We store the sensors in our supply closet.

If she's just looking for a little protection, without bulk, I agree that the tallygear case is what you're looking for. It really doesn't add much bulk at all, and it offers protection from scratches and accidental spills, although not a full-on dunking. We also like the option of attaching the carabiner clip and lanyard if I'm going to be be carrying it. I just clip it onto my purse.