- advertisement -

could you please tell me what you think?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, May 15, 2012.

1. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'm sure one could probably sub blood ketones for urine if they wanted, but otherwise, it seems very thorough and detailed to me...

3. lotsoftots

Im not happy that it has to call 911 with mod or high ketones, or that they want to be able to contact my endo in regards to our care of my child

4. danismom79

I would want them to call 911 if my child were unresponsive. I'm missing the part about contacting the endo.

ETA: Oh, I see it.

I actually don't have a problem with that either. I'm taking it as it's worded. Are you worried they'll go behind your back and try to do something other than what you authorize?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How much does your daughter actually rely on school staff with her care? My dd's school doesn't know squat about her rates or her ratios because she does most everything on her own now. With a pump and a 13 (?) year old how much do they need to know that they would need clarification from the endo on orders?:confused:

6. lotsoftots

yes I want them to call if she were unresponsive but not if she just had mod ketones..thats my call not the schools...
    the part about calling the endo was also a conversion with the school nurse today..she said in some cases they would want a one on one with the endo to see if things were done properly :mad:

7. lotsoftots

none at all ..she does all of it herself..thats why Im getting so upset more so after I talked to the nurse and she basically told me the endo signs off on what I want or too bad.

8. danismom79

But it says call 911 if the kid is unresponsive, or if there's vomiting etc. AND they can't reach the parents.

I wonder if you can cross out that last line before you sign.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I can't open the link?

10. lotsoftots

the link goes straight to adobe reader not a web site

11. danismom79

The endo signs off on what she wants, or what you want? And would they really not put a plan in place for your child? I'm missing something.... It looks like you have the option of checking things off so that your child can self-manage. I can't even see anything they'd be able to call the endo for, other than doses. And how would they know anything if your daughter doesn't deal with the nurse?

12. Deal

Deal Approved members

I found it strange that they didn't have any instructions for corrections. Just rest and water? I would want them to either administer insulin based on a formula you supply or call for instructions if higher than X.

I see a need (for them) to have a dr sign off on whatever instructions you give them and possibly be used as a 4th contact if none of the other 3 are responsive. It should be up to the parent to clarify instructions. I would not want to be left out of the loop on any issue that the school felt important enough to require dr's orders.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Fwiw, I can't open it either.

14. danismom79

I think it's implied (it asks if parent wants a log sent home with boluses, corrections, carbs, and asks for the correction factor on the 2nd page), but it could be more clearly stated. It also says to call family under the action plan for hyperglycemia.

Our endo office has their own form that they sign and send a copy of, but by the time school starts, everything is different. Our nurse doesn't even know my daughter's ratios or any other settings.

15. lotsoftots

they want to use this plan in place of a 504..that worries me also. I was told that there is no need for all that other stuff :confused: thats why they are now calling it a MAP instead of an MMP

16. danismom79

Now THAT is a different issue. How will they get around this part, though?

We have something similar to this MAP, plus an attached 504. It looks like that's what's outlined for you, but you might have issues with this particular nurse. There are lots of old 504 posts here, so be prepared when school starts back up.

17. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

That's really similar to ours, but my ds has a 504 also. I take the form to mean they'll only call 911 if the student is not responsive, or if they can't reach the parents and the child is really sick. The form's never been an issue for us, but I don't know what the conversation was that you had. Our school has never said they were going to go behind our back to the endo. We send in basal / bolus rates / numbers whenever they change though, just in case the pump battery dies, or the pump breaks, at school and he has to use syringes.

18. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members