- advertisement -

Could this be a psych. side effect of diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

We're having behavioral trouble with DS. He is 4 years old and has been dx for 1.5 years. He isn't overly obstinate or aggressive and I actually have a great time with him at home when we're all alone. However, when he gets around other kids he get really, really excited and is just too "touchy". He just gets into everyone's personal space and it can range from irritating to he's actually hurting other kids (usually not in an aggressive way but just hugging way too hard so kids fall over or things like this.) I'm wondering if he is dealing with something emotionally and psychologically from diagnosis. He doesn't really talk to me about his feelings yet and we haven't really discussed D because he is so little. Right after his hospital he went through a phase where he was really clingy. I'm wondering if this is another manifestation of this. It almost seems like he is a little insecure about being around people and is trying really hard to connect with them. Has anyone ever experienced this with their child?

Thank you! Any advice appreciated.

Jen

2. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My first thought is it sounds age - appropriate (without me doing a lot of research on that age) Has he been home, or in day care. My son was sort of like that when he started preschool at age 4. And he had been home before that so he didn't know how to "act" around other kids so much.

My second thought is don't be so quick to peg Diabetes. I know it's on our minds a lot (ok, all the time) but it isn't always the case, so don't let that cloud your judgement. Keep you eyes open for other issues/indicators.

My third thought was do you think he has a sensory problem (I use that term lightly. Not so much as a problem, but it needs to develop more). He may be overwhelmed by the noise, movement, excitement. 4 years old don't process information like adults do. Sit down at his level (literally)and see what's going on around him and try to figure out why he's behaving that way. If he's around a bunch of other 4 year olds, they can be overwhelming him, since they don't know they are doing it either. It's just they all process it differently.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Charmed

3. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

Does your child have alot of interaction with other kids or are you in the same boat as I am cant seem to find adequate care for him so he's with you 24/7? if he is with you the majority of the time That could be the problem he dosnt know how to interact with other kids. My son is also 4 and was dx'd 1.75 months ago. He is the reverse of what your experiencing. He's been very hard to deal with at home but is pretty good when we go anywhere. I cant find a daycare that will provide care for his D so he is with me 24/7. He really needs more interaction with other kids but I cant seem to find people with kids who want to get together once they learn he has D :mad: I even offered to volunteer at daycares across town if I could bring Caynun with me so he can interact with the other kids we were turned down at every one! He's so stinking bored with just us to play with that he's unbearable at times!

4. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

I had to quote this because its a great thought! Caynun gets overwhelmed by loud noises or too many people around at once! Good call Charmed!

5. bisous

bisous Approved members

Thank you for the quick replies.

I actually think that what he is experiencing seems like a sensory processing disorder to me. I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't experiencing some kind of PTSD from Diabetes D'X. I guess a psychologist would be the one to talk to about that.

I know that a lot of what is going on is that DS is with me all the time because as you all know it is very hard to find a place where we feel safe leaving our young D children. He isn't around a lot of kids very much.

BUT he is significantly more active and "aggressive" than his peers. Like in his class of 20 kids he is the most flighty and most "touchy" of any of them by far.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I want him to develop socially but when he is around other kids he is so hard to keep under control that I tend to want to avoid situations around other kids.

Thanks for your posts. I just wanted to make sure that I properly addressed the "D" angle to this whole thing.

Oh and another question: Do you think that having high or low sugars affects hyperactivity?

TIA,

Jen

6. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

BOth of my children have quite a few friends who are that way. They range in age from 2.5 years to 18 years.
    None of these have diabetes except my daughter and 1 other girl.
    It does seem to be a younger boy thing and a preteen girl thing though as those ages it seems pretty heavy in.
    My children have each other to play with and wrestle, have no seprate space from each other as they are normally piled on top of one another again wrestling or just doing something.
    So, it could be a problem but I have seen this with many children a variety of ages as well though.
    He is still an an age though where he doesn't know his own strength either. Unless he is purposefully hurting them, or you notice it before he is doing it. I would let them work it out for themselves a lot of times. Gently reminding to play nice or gently might help if you are supervising every moment with them though.
    Good luck,
    Allene

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi,
    How are his numbers, in general? Is he constantly up and down throughout the day (rollercoaster)? To answer your question, yes bg levels can for sure effect mood. But again, each child is different but with highs you might see extreme irritability, lows you might see lethergy, that type of thing. As for the idea that what you are seeing is a sort of psychological manifestation of his having D, at his age I would think not. I don't think he understands the possible long term issues that this disease carries, so he should not be effected psychologically by it (PTSD). Now, parents on the other hand........:eek:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I don't know if you have a marvelous martial arts place nearby - but sometimes kids learn emotion regulation really well in those places - especially if they have a leader who really understands little kids. The children develop mastery and self-control and feel so good about themselves and learn not to be a victim. They don't really learn to fight - it becomes the inner strength and confidence that helps them avoid creating a fighting situation.

9. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Look into Mommy and Me classes, or a tumble class or an art class. (Of course I'm talking big because I was never able to bring my kids) If it's a big enough issue, speak to a psychologist about group therapy. Another suggestion that was given to me for my son that I couldn't follow through with.

Good luck,

Charmed