- advertisement -

Could my toddler have diabetes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Julz, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Julz

Julz New Member

Hello everyone,
    hoping you can give me some advice. As feel like something is wrong, but not sure if its just me being daft. Ive put it off, as she was born with talipes and so concentrated on getting her foot fixed.

I have 3 other children so not a new mum, and should know whats normal and whats not.

Well my daughter is nearly 3 years old and has been drinking excessively for over a year now. I cant go out on a short trip without lots of drinks for her. She is constantly thirsty and will drink 3 large toddler beaker cups in a row. None of my other kids ever drank anything near what she does.

She is also urinating all the time, so much so I can not seam to toilet train her because of it. She is willing but just urinating gallons all the time and too frequent. We would be sitting on the toilet all day. My other kids were toilet trained way before now without problems and this included one who was born with kidney problems! As she is nearly 3 Im having problems with nappies, its costing a fortune using so many and also she is wetting her clothes. I just cant see how Im going to toilet train her with this amount of urinating.

She also vomits and has stomach pain, this has been on and off since she was about 12months old. The gp thought it might have been reflux but its still happening(it was a non english speaking country so had problems). She has had spells of losing weight but not too bad at the moment.

Someone I know mentioned a few months ago that their son had diabetes and he used to vomit prior to diagnosis. She said I should consider this.

Ive just emigrated, and now feel like she is not improving.

Am I going mad? Should I get her tested? Any input appreciated.

Julz
    PS, I was on metformin prior and first couple of weeks of pregnancy due to PCOS. Not sure if this is relevant.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

What you are describing does not appear to be normal behavior. I would take her to her pediatrician and have him check her out. He needs to check her urine for ketones and sugar and perhaps check her blood sugar. You can purchase ketone strips at the drugstore yourself, as well as a meter. Since this has been going on for so long, there may be something else going on with her kidneys than diabetes.

3. Julz

Julz New Member

I have just done a test with one of those electronic blood glucose monitors.
    Her level was 11.1mmol. But I havent got a clue if this is high for a two year old. Keep seeing info for adults.

Anyone know if this reading is normal, or highish?

Julz

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We aren't in an area that uses that kind of measurement, but my recollections of folks on here from Canada that 11 isn't good. I think that 6-7 seems to be good.

I would take her in and ask for a doctor to do a glucose and ketone test. I would be concerned.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

11.1 mmol/l converts to 199 mg/dl. This is higher than normal, but a diagnosis can't be made on a home glucose meter. A normal sugar reading is between 3.3 and 6.6 (60-120 mg/dl).

I would take the child in to the doctor and describe the problems you are having. Insist on a test to rule out diabetes.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Julz~
    I'm sorry, I'm just seeing your post now.

I think you've gotten some good advice, I just wanted to add a little info for you.
    Make sure she has clean hands. If she just had a juice to drink and some was on her hands (sugar) you could have a false high number. How long ago she ate needs to be taken into consideration also.
    Someone posted this at one time, and I've kept it to compare to others that read there blood glucose differently.
    mmol/l mg/dl interpretation
    ------ ----- --------------
    2.0 - 35 - extremely low, danger of unconsciousness
    3.0 - 55 - low, marginal insulin reaction
    4.0 - 75 - slightly low, first symptoms of lethargy etc.
    5.5 - 100 - Mecca
    5 - 6 - 90-110 - normal pre-prandial in no diabetics
    8.0 - 150 - normal postprandial in no diabetics
    10.0 - 180 - maximum postprandial in no diabetics
    11.0 - 200 -
    15.0 - 270 - a little high to very high depending on patient
    16.5 - 300 -
    20.0 - 360 - getting up there
    22 - 400 - max mg/dl for some meters and strips
    33 - 600 - high danger of severe electrolyte imbalance

I wish you nothing but the best! I hope you find out what's wrong with your little girl. Your mommy radar is going off as it should be.

7. Lnj1971

Lnj1971 New Member

Lanae,
    Thanks so much for posting that conversion. I had a very confusing conversation once with a woman (son was type 1) from Canada one time in Disney World. It makes much more sense now!
    As a child, it took years to get my diabetes diagnosed. My mom, whose brother was diagnosed at age 12, had to be quite persistent and finally insist that the doctor run a full set of blood work. Only then did they realize I had a BG over 600. If you think something is wrong, there probably is and don't give up until they know what it is.

8. sheila

sheila Approved members

I would have her tested for diabetes as well.

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

That level is way too high. Get your daughter to a doctor now. That number is not good at all. I would be very concerned. Do not feel silly for taking your daughter in. Ask them to check her blood sugars and to check for ketones. This is very important. her having to go all the time and her excessive thirst plus the other symptoms all point to Diabetes. Please let us know what happens. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

10. 3js

3js Approved members

Hi, I agree that is sounding like all of the symptoms my son had prior to diagnosis. It definately sounds like you are on the right track with this! We worry that we are overeacting as Moms, but you are not. This is a high bg, and all symptoms of type 1.

Good luck, I really hope everything goes well:cwds:

11. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Julz~
    I was just wondering how things are going?! :eek:

12. Julz

Julz New Member

Hello,
    thanks for all the replies. I live in rural town hundreds of km from the city. Its the weekend so nothing open. But hope to get appointment with doc this week.

Ive checked her bloods using the monitor, her bloods are around 11/12 (think its about 200) on an evenings this is over 2 hours after her tea. They seam to be higher later in the day. Is this ok? or should they be normal all day.

I checked this morning and it was around 6. Which seams ok compared with later on in the day. But not sure how often I should check.

She keeps saying she feels sick and is tired but has not actually been sick.

Still convincing myself she is ok, and its me imagining it.

Julz

13. coni

coni Approved members

Julz -
    Get your child to the doctor as soon as possible even if it is inconvenient. Sorry to sound harsh, but diabetes is nothing to mess around with. The numbers for your child are not normal. In addition, the symptoms or frequent urination, thirst, stomach pains, etc. are all typical symptoms of diabetes. Some people have slow onsets, but the condition can become serious very quickly. You never can know. Read some old threads on some of our kids' diagnosis stories. Some kids ended up being transported by helicopter to hospitals because their condition become so dangerous.

Also, be aware that not all doctors diagnose diabetes even given the symptoms. Read the CWD web site for more information. Be your child's advocate. Don't let her continue to feel bad, and don't risk her health.

Sure, the blood sugar readings could be worse, but why wait? Please let us know how things go. I hope it's not diabetes, but if it is, it's better to know and take appropriate action.

My thoughts are with you -

14. 3js

3js Approved members

Hi, being 6 in the morning, then going up during the day is in line with what occurs to kids who are "honeymooning". That means that they have type1, but their pancreas is still producing a bit of insulin.

The fact that she is sick to her stomach and feeling tired (if she does have diabetes) is not a good sign at all. Because she is not being given any insulin by injection, it could become an emergency situation in a matter of hours.

My son had the exact same symptoms you are describing. By the time he got to emerg, he seemed perfectly healthy, but inside his little body things were not good. I`m not trying to frighten you, just to show that while it may not LOOK bad, it can be.

Type1 d and type2 are not the same in that type2`s produce insulin. So it takes years sometimes to have symptoms and get sick. Type 1`s have the risk of coma when diagnosed too late.

I think her symptoms warrant a trip to the emergency room. It is not ok to have bg`s that high.

I hope everything goes well. Take care:cwds: I`m sending good vibes to you and your family!:)