- advertisement -

could it be a kidney stone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Apr 27, 2011.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Hey guys! Luke was just sitting in the living room w/me and we were talking and he says my back hurts. I thought he was just being silly, but then he starts to cry and was not able to walk. He went from being okay to wailing. We got him to our bed to lay down and put an ice pack on his back. He told us that it really didn't help and he said it hurt to breath. In about 10 minutes he started to get better and is right now playing video games. :confused: He has told me he has been peeing okay and didn't hurt him self at school. If this was a kidney stone...will this happen again? This has never happened to him before...I am at a loss

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I don't have an answer to your question. But would suggest calling your ped. asap. I think any pain that brings your child to wailing should be checked out immediately.

Hope all is okay.

3. MySweethearts

I will call in the morning :( I hope it is nothing serious. My DH is very let's wait to call the dr. and I am complete oppisite

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree, but we have a 10 minute rule in this house before we decide if immediate medical attention is required - mostly to let the drama settle down any time someone gets hurt. The only exception to this is if someone is bleeding or has an obvious fracture or for my oldest who has asthma, but reality is that sometimes urgent care or the ER can't do much more than your pedi can for some things... and I'd rather just see the pedi since it's a much lower co-pay.

Basically, the reality is in our house that most things can wait for a pedi appointment the next day (sometimes if it's early enough we get in the same day)... if I don't think it can wait (and it's earlier than 8pm), we go to urgent care. If I'm totally freaked out we'll go the ER. I realize this may not be the case for everyone, but I have to say that between my 3, I have someone crying and screaming about some injury almost every day, and a vast majority end up being little more than hurt feelings.

As far as the sudden back pain, I would be more inclined to say it was possibly a muscle spasm than a kidney stone... kidney stone pain tends to last longer than 10 minutes... it can come and go, but it's usually bad for a while before it gets better.

5. MySweethearts

I think the 10 minute rule is a great idea! I so hope you are right about the muscle spasm. Thank you both for your replies! :)

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Kidney stone pain is often equated with major labor pain. A little one would be shrieking :(. Still, the pain can come and go as it moves...but I'm sure this would be something else.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yeah, go to the ped when you can. Maybe sciatica or something. Hope it was a one time thing with no consequences.