- advertisement -

Cough medicine suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Nov 15, 2010.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava and I both have a cold. :( I'm not usually a fan of cold medicine, but the cough is really keeping her up.

Anyone have a good cough medicine suggestion for a four year old? Particularly one that doesn't have artificial sweetener and you know the carb count. ;)

2. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

I`m not sure if it`s used in US, but here nebulizer is the most effective way of cough treatment. My kids inhale simple sodium chloride solution several times a day and it really helps quickly. We have 9 months a year of snow, rain or just crappy weather here and all the cough and flu medicines would cost me a fortune so the nebulizer has already paid it off. ;)

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Our ped recommended Delsyn (sp?).

Does she have asthma? My boys both have very mild asthma, and it manifests more in coughing than wheezing. When they get a cold/bronchitis, the best thing for them is their Ventolin puffer.

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Nope, no asthma, so no nebulizers or inhalers. I'm just thinking something over the counter that won't make her BG skyrocket.

She goes high from simply one dose of children's motrin. I haven't gotten an official answer, but we generally bolus for 10 carbs for a dropper full of motrin.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I understand there are different kinds of cough suppressants. Some inhibit the area of the brain responsible for the cough reflex. I don't know the names of those or the methods of delivery. I don't see why they might not come in a pill form or a carb free liquid.

Menthol inhibits the cough right in the throat and is a common ingredient in many cough drops. But one does not need to take a cough drop, you just have to put vapor rub in a vaporizer, or on her chest, or upper lips.

I thought the nebulizer mentioned by someone else held promise and I doubt one needs to have asthma to use it.

Then there are the natural methods; hot tea, plenty of water (much more effective than many give it credit for) or drinking or gargling with vinegar/water (probably not something a child would be willing to do), steam, etc. Remember most coughs are due to mucus irritating the back of the throat. Remove the mucus and you remove the cough. Also inhibiting the cough is just a luxury and does not help one get better faster. If sleep is the problem one might focus on other ways of getting better sleep rather than on stopping the cough.

And when keytones run high you may be pushing carbs anyway so a sugared product may work fine.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

7. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

Delsym Grape Liquid - it's the best and it tastes AWESOME. Honestly, it tastes like a nice mild grape candy. My kids actually lick the little cup that I pour it in to make sure they get every last drop!

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Delsym is the best!

9. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Another vote for Delsym! It really, really works, for both kids and adults.

10. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

I've never tried this but I've heard that for nighttime coughing that keeps you up, put a little vapor rub on the bottom of your feet, cover up with socks and that it works like a charm... Have heard some people swear by it!

11. Garrett's Mom

Garrett's Mom Approved members

Joy:

Mucinex has a children's cough medicine and suppressant that I found that works great for Garrett. It is called Mucinex mini melts for kids and it is actually a granule packet that does not contain any sugar so I have not found that it affect Garrett's blood sugar at all. He likes the taste and it seems to really help him. I was thrilled when I found it. Here is a link to what the box looks like: http://www.mucinex.com/html/home/1.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Kara

12. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

See - Everyone I've ever heard of thats tried says it works great!!! I've got a jar on standby to try for our next nighttime coughing spell!!!